No announcement yet.

The Secret Special Branch Ledgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ................and why am I only just learning about all this now!!!!!

Can anyone point me in the direction of where I can obtain a copy of Jack the Ripper-The Secret Police Files by Trevor Marriott? (Not Kindle).

It appears to be out of print on Amazon & no copies available on the old faithful Ebay either?

Comment

• Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
      ................and why am I only just learning about all this now!!!!!

Can anyone point me in the direction of where I can obtain a copy of Jack the Ripper-The Secret Police Files by Trevor Marriott? (Not Kindle).

It appears to be out of print on Amazon & no copies available on the old faithful Ebay either?
      All the info you need can be found in "Jack the Ripper-The Real Truth"

Comment

• Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
        All the info you need can be found in "Jack the Ripper-The Real Truth"

http://www.trevormarriott.co.uk/jack-ripper-real-truth/

Many thanks Trevor, read this bit.......

"This new publication incorporates material from the previous publications “Jack the Ripper-A 21st Century Investigation”(2002) and “Jack the Ripper- the Secret Police Files”(2013) and now includes new evidence and new facts obtained in the interim periods of time." and thought that's great!!

Then I saw this bit and my heart sank
        "Available in Kindle only, price £4.99"

Any plans to publish it as a proper book? (can't take to Kindle I'm afraid).

Comment

Many thanks Trevor, read this bit.......

"This new publication incorporates material from the previous publications “Jack the Ripper-A 21st Century Investigation”(2002) and “Jack the Ripper- the Secret Police Files”(2013) and now includes new evidence and new facts obtained in the interim periods of time." and thought that's great!!

Then I saw this bit and my heart sank
          "Available in Kindle only, price £4.99"

Any plans to publish it as a proper book? (can't take to Kindle I'm afraid).
          No plans at this time sorry,although I am now actively seeking a new publisher

Comment

No plans at this time sorry,although I am now actively seeking a new publisher

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Oh, that's a blow!!

Comment

• Purchased it just now. So that's another £4.99 to add to that filthy pile of lucre you have already got Trev.

One thing puzzles me. The files must have been specific about informants, because with such a transient population good luck finding out which Donovan, Sullivan, or Kelly (for example) it was after a hundred odd years. That doesn't make any sense.

Anyway, I'll read the book.

All the best.

Comment

• Originally posted by martin wilson View Post
                Purchased it just now. So that's another £4.99 to add to that filthy pile of lucre you have already got Trev.

One thing puzzles me. The files must have been specific about informants, because with such a transient population good luck finding out which Donovan, Sullivan, or Kelly (for example) it was after a hundred odd years. That doesn't make any sense.

Anyway, I'll read the book.

All the best.
                As you will see out of 30.000 entries in the SB Register, there were only a handful of named informants, whose names were either in surname only, or pseudonyms, and could not be formally identified.

In other official documents uncovered there were specific informants who were named and could be identified. These documents were up for grabs in the public domain. So the police argument of not ever releasing the names of informants from the register did not stand up.

Comment

As you will see out of 30.000 entries in the SB Register, there were only a handful of named informants, whose names were either in surname only, or pseudonyms, and could not be formally identified.

In other official documents uncovered there were specific informants who were named and could be identified. These documents were up for grabs in the public domain. So the police argument of not ever releasing the names of informants from the register did not stand up.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Certainly makes you wonder what their game was doesn't?
                  But having said that if there was anything dodgy in there, they could just have easily denied there existence, or indeed have destroyed it, or not even have documented anything in the first place........................

Comment

Certainly makes you wonder what their game was doesn't?
                    But having said that if there was anything dodgy in there, they could just have easily denied there existence, or indeed have destroyed it, or not even have documented anything in the first place........................
                    Having spent a lot of time, and money, on trying to secure their release, and from what I know and have seen, I do not think there were any smoking ripper guns to be found in them in any event.

Lindsay Clutterbuck read them all when preparing his University thesis, and had there been any major ripper revelations he would surely have mentioned them in that thesis.

The truth is they didn't know what they had until people started asking questions about them and wanting to see them.

Comment

Having spent a lot of time, and money, on trying to secure their release, and from what I know and have seen, I do not think there were any smoking ripper guns to be found in them in any event.

Lindsay Clutterbuck read them all when preparing his University thesis, and had there been any major ripper revelations he would surely have mentioned them in that thesis.

The truth is they didn't know what they had until people started asking questions about them and wanting to see them.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
                      Relieved and disappointed at the same time if I'm honest.

The conspiracy theorists amongst us might not be so easily placated mind

Comment

Relieved and disappointed at the same time if I'm honest.

The conspiracy theorists amongst us might not be so easily placated mind
                        Well they have all supposedly been now destroyed

Comment

• I'm going to re-read the relevant section again but I think I get it.

That's some mighty fine detective work Mr Marriott.

The section on the public's stories whilst on tour was very enjoyable.
                          More of those if you have any.

All the best.

Comment

• Originally posted by martin wilson View Post
                            I'm going to re-read the relevant section again but I think I get it.

That's some mighty fine detective work Mr Marriott.

The section on the public's stories whilst on tour was very enjoyable.
                            More of those if you have any.

All the best.
                            Yes some were very interesting especially the sighting on the night of the stride murder

Comment

Yes some were very interesting especially the sighting on the night of the stride murder

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

That does sounding very intriguing and only makes me want to read this book more, but try as I might I can't find a copy ANYWHERE!! If anyone has a spare copy that I could purchase from them, I'd very much like to hear from you!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
                                Files

The Metropolitan Police had resisted allowing the public access to the Special Branch files under section 3(4) of the Public Records Act, 1958, which allowed them to withhold documents for more than the stipulated period. In order to do this all they had to do was persuade the Lord Chancellor that they had a 'special reason' for doing so. Invariably access was then refused.

In 1984 Scotland Yard claimed that the papers that were being withheld had, in fact, been destroyed and no longer existed. All that is supposed to have survived are the index ledgers which give minimal information but which do disclose names. A brief sight of some of the pages of the relevant ledger was given when a certain person who had been granted access posted them on the Internet. However, they quickly disappeared and, apparently, no permission had been granted to post these pages.

Whilst making tentative enquiries about the ledgers a few years ago we were warned that it was a sensitive subject and was best steered clear of. I took part in a public debate about the Whitechapel murders and I mentioned the Special Branch material. After the talk I was approached by someone who informed me that the material would never be released and if it appeared that it was going to be accessed it would be destroyed.
                                Quite possibly one of the most accurate prophecies of ripperology from Stewart there .....
                                less than 3 years later and ..... gone
                                You can lead a horse to water.....

Comment

Working...
                                X