Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible explanation for Maxwell Discrepency?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is all possible..I love a good old mystery,
    Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
      Presumably MJK & Joseph Barnett were living together around the time Maxwell first met Kelly, so there weren't any other women staying at 13 Miller's Court to confuse identities.
      Hi harry
      No, it means Maxwell didn't know mary or the person she thought was mary for four months-probably more like 4 weeks if at all.

Shes horribly confused, and probably about how long she knew this person as well.

Comment

Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
        Hi..
        Maxwell stated, that she had seen the deceased in the lodging house, making it entirely possible she had mistaken Kelly For Lizzie Allbrook, who worked in a lodging house in Dorset street..
        If she was mistaken..and only ''If''..I believe that is the explanation.
        Regards Richard.
        thanks-sounds reasonable to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
          Hi harry
          No, it means Maxwell didn't know mary or the person she thought was mary for four months-probably more like 4 weeks if at all.

Shes horribly confused, and probably about how long she knew this person as well.
          That's pure conjecture, Abby, to fit your theory.

I have neighbours I've known for years and I can count on one hand the number of times I've actually spoken to them, if at all. I still wouldn't mistake them for a completely different person. Even if Maxwell had little interaction with Mary Kelly in the months leading up to her murder, no doubt her name came up in casual conversation with others, and by all accounts Mary Kelly was a striking young woman.

Comment

"What if Mary and Joe decided to fix up a hoax to help Mary slip away from whatever she seemed to be afraid of (whether JtR, ex-boyfriend, McCarty, Fenians, fill in the blank), and they decided to let the room that night. Maybe Joe promised he'd handle the details if she went into hiding. Maybe he (or they) went out and found a woman (probably in a pub) that was similar to Mary Jane in height, hair and eye color, offered her a safe place in MJK's room, then went away. I don't think they meant to have the woman murdered, but needed an occupant in the place while they snuck away leaving the rent unpaid. Perhaps Mary Jane returned early in the morning, found the terrible scene, and became sick at the sight and her near escape. That would allow for the sightings of her that morning to make sense... Although, I admit, her actions the previous night, as well as being seen the following morning don't really make a lot of sense."

I think this would make Occam start to drink heavily.

c.d.

Comment

Hello, Abby.

Problem with this theory is that Maxwell claims to have known Kelly for four months, and we know that she only recently started taking in her fellow unfortunates. Barnett moved out at the end of October as a result of this, correct? So one would assume that Maxwell had made Mary Kelly's acquaintance before then.

Then again, the whole Mary Kelly murder is a riddle wrapped in an enigma.
              Didn't Barnett confirm that Maxwell and Kelly knew each other? I read that somewhere-don't know where at this stage.
              This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Presumably MJK & Joseph Barnett were living together around the time Maxwell first met Kelly, so there weren't any other women staying at 13 Miller's Court to confuse identities.
                Maybe Barnett was a cross-dresser.

Comment

Originally posted by RivkahChaya View Post
                  Maybe Barnett was a cross-dresser.
                  Maybe Barnett could only find work at a Drag Show after losing his license.
                  BOOM! MORE PROOF! JtR= Dan Leno! (Sorry... I've become very taken with this joke suspect)
                  I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

Nobody said life was uncomplicated, Occam...

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                    "What if Mary and Joe decided to fix up a hoax to help Mary slip away from whatever she seemed to be afraid of (whether JtR, ex-boyfriend, McCarty, Fenians, fill in the blank), and they decided to let the room that night. Maybe Joe promised he'd handle the details if she went into hiding. Maybe he (or they) went out and found a woman (probably in a pub) that was similar to Mary Jane in height, hair and eye color, offered her a safe place in MJK's room, then went away. I don't think they meant to have the woman murdered, but needed an occupant in the place while they snuck away leaving the rent unpaid. Perhaps Mary Jane returned early in the morning, found the terrible scene, and became sick at the sight and her near escape. That would allow for the sightings of her that morning to make sense... Although, I admit, her actions the previous night, as well as being seen the following morning don't really make a lot of sense."

c.d.
                    LOL
                    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                    ---------------
                    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                    ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post

c.d.

G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

This person may well have bought a few things at McCarthy's or she may have seen her visiting friends in the Court. Mary the murder victim was on everyone's mind and I think Mrs Maxwell convinced herself that the woman she saw that morning was her.

The woman, whoever she was, and I think it was a case of mistaken identity not day, wasn't feeling well. She and Mrs Maxwell spoke across the street to each other.

If I was feeling like hell after a night's drinking and was vomiting having tottered out of my abode for a breath of fresh air, I wouldn't be fixated on being addressed in a sympathetic manner by a stranger I'd seen around a few times and spoken to. I'd just be concentrating on being sick and clearing my head not in trying to be sociable. The woman just answered her very short conversation and that was it. Afterwards this person obviously felt better and was out and about in the street, hence the second sighting.
                        Last edited by Rosella; 09-25-2015, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                          This person may well have bought a few things at McCarthy's or she may have seen her visiting friends in the Court. Mary the murder victim was on everyone's mind and I think Mrs Maxwell convinced herself that the woman she saw that morning was her.

The woman, whoever she was, and I think it was a case of mistaken identity not day, wasn't feeling well. She and Mrs Maxwell spoke across the street to each other.

If I was feeling like hell after a night's drinking and was vomiting having tottered out of my abode for a breath of fresh air, I wouldn't be fixated on being addressed in a sympathetic manner by a stranger I'd seen around a few times and spoken to. I'd just be concentrating on being sick and clearing my head not in trying to be sociable. The woman just answered her very short conversation and that was it. Afterwards this person obviously felt better and was out and about in the street, hence the second sighting.
                          Why didn't mystery woman come forward and say "No it was me throwing up in the street".
                          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Why would she? Kelly was dead, the inquest was over, there was noting to gain and what woman in their right, or even completely gin soaked, mind would want to be thought of as being easily mistaken for a Ripper victim? Beyond that there are far more reasons for not coming forward than for going "No, no. I'm the one whose vomit splashed your shoe."
                            I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

Some locals couldn't read, and didn't buy newspapers. There's no reason to think this person, whoever she was, was busily poring over the details of testimony given at the inquest on Mary. If there happened to be rumours going around that Mrs M. had seen Mary the morning after the murder the woman concerned may not even have connected what she'd been doing that morning to what Mrs Maxwell believed, at all. Or perhaps she did explain to Mrs Maxwell after the inquest, who knows.
                              Last edited by Rosella; 09-25-2015, 08:03 PM.

Comment

That's pure conjecture, Abby, to fit your theory.

I have neighbours I've known for years and I can count on one hand the number of times I've actually spoken to them, if at all. I still wouldn't mistake them for a completely different person. Even if Maxwell had little interaction with Mary Kelly in the months leading up to her murder, no doubt her name came up in casual conversation with others, and by all accounts Mary Kelly was a striking young woman.
                                Hi Harry
                                With all due respect.

"neighbors I've known for years." and
                                spoken to twice in four months

Please tell me you see the difference.

And yes of course my "theory" is pure conjecture. Conjecture based on the all the known evidence, logical analysis and common sense.

Comment

Working...
                                X