Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Scene of the Crimes: Miller's Court Demolition Photo - by Debra A 15 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: Who was the author of the 'Maybrick' diary? Some options. - by John G 56 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - by James_J 59 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: ORIGINAL doors in Miller's court - by DJA 1 hour and 14 minutes ago.
Scene of the Crimes: Miller's Court Demolition Photo - by DJA 2 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - by John G 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: Who was the author of the 'Maybrick' diary? Some options. - (18 posts)
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - (18 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: Miller's Court Demolition Photo - (18 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (15 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: ORIGINAL doors in Miller's court - (12 posts)
General Police Discussion: PC Arthur FROST J Division - (4 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Letters and Communications

Old 01-30-2018, 04:05 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
wow thanks for posting. I didn't have time to read the whole thing but I did skim and read the conclusion. so basically its just that the dear boss and saucy jack were written by the same person with possibly the moab one also?

Any other major finding or anything new?

also, did it compare the 1896 winters coming letter? this letter is the last document in the WC file and ive always thought that it might have been from the same writer as Dear boss/saucy jack as did the police at the time.
My reading is that they limited it to those received prior to the first letters becoming widespread, to reduce the possibility of copy-cat.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:08 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
the present analysis will pay special attention to those early texts that were received not later than the 1 October 1888, before the content of the ‘Dear Boss’ and ‘Saucy Jacky’ was popularized by the police and the media and therefore hoaxers could have knowledge of it.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:11 PM
Cadet

I read this last night.

Agree with GUT, they paid special attention to the "pre publication letters" i.e. all letters purported to have been sent by the killer PRIOR to Dear Boss and Saucy being published by the Press that are on file and recorded in 'Letters From Hell', Evans & Skinner.

This group comprised of 4 letters - including Dear Boss and Saucy Jack and apparently excluding the (probable modern fake) "17 September letter".

The second group is the "post publication" letters compromising all other letters on file. This included the 1896 letter.

All the letters are grouped in Fig.3 of the paper.

The conclusion was that the Moab and Midian letter was most probably written by the same person who wrote Dear Boss and Saucy - see Table 2 in the paper for an interesting visual analysis.

BTW in case anyone is wondering - the "threat letter to an unknown witness" postmarked 8/10/88 is the first label in pink titled JR 081088 directly below "Dear Boss" i.e the green group that also contains "Moab & Midian" in Fg. 3 of the paper.

If anyone wants to see how their "favourite" letter rated have a look at Fig 3. and DL the supplementary data file within the paper which identifies the letter and the label name used.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:55 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
I read this last night.

Agree with GUT, they paid special attention to the "pre publication letters" i.e. all letters purported to have been sent by the killer PRIOR to Dear Boss and Saucy being published by the Press that are on file and recorded in 'Letters From Hell', Evans & Skinner.

This group comprised of 4 letters - including Dear Boss and Saucy Jack and apparently excluding the (probable modern fake) "17 September letter".

The second group is the "post publication" letters compromising all other letters on file. This included the 1896 letter.

All the letters are grouped in Fig.3 of the paper.

The conclusion was that the Moab and Midian letter was most probably written by the same person who wrote Dear Boss and Saucy - see Table 2 in the paper for an interesting visual analysis.

BTW in case anyone is wondering - the "threat letter to an unknown witness" postmarked 8/10/88 is the first label in pink titled JR 081088 directly below "Dear Boss" i.e the green group that also contains "Moab & Midian" in Fg. 3 of the paper.

If anyone wants to see how their "favourite" letter rated have a look at Fig 3. and DL the supplementary data file within the paper which identifies the letter and the label name used.
hi Phantom
I cant find anything there about the 1896 winters coming letter.what does it say about that one?

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 01-31-2018, 11:38 PM
Chief Inspector

I've read the Introduction and skimmed some of the rest, and it seems to be very scholarly indeed. I will try to read it over the weekend,, as I have been interested in the so-called Ripper Letters and the public fascination with the case for some time now. Thank you for the link to the article.
---------------
Old 01-31-2018, 11:50 PM
Inspector

Quote:
I cant find anything there about the 1896 winters coming letter.what does it say about that one?
The radial dendrogram lists nothing beyond 1891.

Rather pertinent as "Jack" died 9 June 1891.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:21 AM
Cadet

Default Winters coming

Quote:
hi Phantom
Hi Abby

The 1896 letter is directly under Saucy Jack in Fig.3
Green label name JR 141096.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:10 AM
Inspector

Missed that one

Interesting grouping in that color.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:19 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
Hi Abby

The 1896 letter is directly under Saucy Jack in Fig.3
Green label name JR 141096.
Thanks Phantom

what does that mean though? its similar according to there analysis to saucy Jack?

if so, how is it similar-just the same words and phrases used? any handwriting comparison done in this study?

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 02-01-2018, 03:28 PM
Cadet

Quote:
Thanks Phantom

what does that mean though? its similar according to there analysis to saucy Jack?

if so, how is it similar-just the same words and phrases used? any handwriting comparison done in this study?
Hi Abby

The author doesn't specifically say anything about the 1896 letter apart from grouping it in the green label "Dear Boss" cluster in Fig.3.

The letters in this cluster e.g. Moab and Midian, 1896 letter etc. are considered the most linguistically similar to Dear Boss and Saucy Jack.

I presume that as the dendrogram radiates outwards from the green label "Dear Boss" cluster, they are considered more to less linguistically similar.

For example the pink/magenta groups directly above and below the green "Dear Boss" cluster are considered to be the next most similar. As the dendogram radiates outwards from these, the other clusters are considered less similar.

No handwriting analysis was done as part of this study. Linguistic comparison only.

The author also acknowledged the problem with plagiarism i.e. a lot of the "Post publication" letters are deilberately written to imitate the language of Dear Boss and Saucy, but he tried to factor that into account with the method he used.