The Cable Street Dandy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cable Street Dandy

That's the title of Norma's article in Ripperologist # 102.
    So, we can discuss it here...

Thanks for opening the thread David.It would be good to hear what people think regarding Chapman as a suspect ,as well as how they are inclined to interpret what Emma Smith said about her attack. Her friend,Margaret Hames and she had been soliciting near the West India Dock Road end of Burdett Street ie where it cornered on Farrance Street ,in Limehouse.The last sighting of Emma was by her friend,Margaret,and she said she left Emma speaking to a man wearing a "white scarf and dark clothes". Its more than possible that Chapman was still with the Radin"s at 70 West India Dock Road at this time.If so was this just yet another "coincidence"?-------like the Pinchin Street Torso turning up almost "on his door step" two years later [Sept 10 1889] -when he had a barber shop in Cable Street?
    Best

Norma

Comment

For what it's worth, probably not a lot, I sought out the Farrance street site in order to take a photograph, and came to the conclusion that Emma Smith got about a bit during her nightly excursions. Believe me it's a fair old shank from Farrance Street to where she was eventually assaulted in Osborn Street

Virtually nothing remains of the area as it looked in 1888 by the way.

all the best

Observer
      Last edited by Observer; 05-12-2009, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Hi Norma and Obs,
        It seems to me - somehow - that Severino is back in favour these days.
        So, Norma, your article has been published just at the right time.
        An excellent basis for new discussions about this old suspect, and I hope everybody will read it and post here.

Amitiés,
        David

Comment

Thanks David and Obs,
          I know the area from seeing it from the Docklands Light Railway, as the train pulls into the West India Dock stop. You are quite right Obs,in that all that remains are a few roads.But another lovely Hawksmoor Church ,St George"s in the East,can be seen rising above the new estates.The Church also has sinister associations- the other Hawksmoor one we are familiar with is next to the Ten Bells - Christchurch in Spitalfields , cited by several witnesses at Jack the Ripper Inquests. But it may be of interest that "St George's in the East",near West India Docks , figured in another famous series of London murders,the Ratcliffe Highway Murders of 1812 -which you probably already know more about than me. But Chapman ,when he lived in Cable Street was actually living within yards of where the man executed for the Ratcliffe Highway murders was buried.The man,John Williams, was buried beneath the cross roads of Back Lane which was where Cable Street and Cannon Street Road crossed, he had had" a stake driven through his heart"------spooky coincidences dont you think?
          Last edited by Natalie Severn; 05-12-2009, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Hi Natalie, David

Spooky indeed, here is a photo of the Cannon Street Road, Cable street crossroad, where John Williams was buried. Did Chapman live east or west of the pub in the photo The Crown and Dolphin, the pub incidently was there in 1888. The pub is numbered 56, 56 Cable Street. Actually I have just noticed a chunk of Hawksmoors Church, St Georges in the East sticking up just to the right of the pub above the houses, at least I think it is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cable street crop2 irfan.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	656920

all the best

Observer
            Last edited by Observer; 05-13-2009, 12:43 AM. Reason: to add a sentence

Comment

Hey thanks for that Observer!I have always wanted to see where this famous "cross roads" was! Terrific picture too.
              Chapman lived at 126 Cable Street.It is possible to find out exactly where this was from the Tower Hamlets Local History archives .[actually it may now be necessary to go to the Central Local history library at Holborn.Must do that soon.
              Cheers
              Norma
              ps Yes,I am pretty sure that its the Church"s Tower .The psycho geographers have a theory about Hawksmoor"s churches and ancient ley lines that connect them.Its a kind of earth magic.William Blake wrote of similar ideas.
              Last edited by Natalie Severn; 05-13-2009, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X