Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kosminski family from Kalisz

Hello,
    For genealogical purposes, I’ve been researching the Kosminski family from Kalisz (the family of Martin Kosminski whose naturalization record was sponsored by Joseph Hyam Levy). I now have copies of all the Kalisz records for people named Kosminski and they're all from the same family. If there’s any interest, I’m happy to share information about the members of Martin’s family. I realize this is probably not the same family as Aaron’s. However, I think it could help to clarify some of the relations between the other Kosminskis living in London in the 19th century . There are several people who disappear from the Kalisz records who probably moved to England or America. (Some of this information was discussed in the “Plausibility of Kosminski” thread in 2011, but I’ve found some discrepancies and have more information).

Hello ns37,

It's fantastic. There are many people who have interest in "Kosminski". It would be nice to learn more about the members of Martin´s family.

Karsten.

Comment

So, notes and dates are pretty inexact and change a lot on the records. But, from what I have, the earliest members of the Kosminski family were Moses Kosminski (1765 – c. 1840) who married Sara Samuel. They had four children together. Sara died around 1811, and Moses remarried Hugera Szeer but they had no other children.

The three sons were Chaim Juda Kosminski (1796 - 1845), Markus Kosminski (1807 – 1873), and Szulem Hersz Koszminski (1794 – 1865). All three were born and died in Kalisz.
      Markus (or Marks) was the father of Martin and Samuel. He first married Rayzela Flasz in 1828. They had four children, Sura Malka Kosminski b. 1829, Hades Kosminska b. 1831, Jachet b. 1833, Fajgelche b. 1835. Rayzela dies at some point between 1835 and 1841, so Markus remarries Sura Sztein in 1841. They have five children. Mosie (Martin) b. 1843, Ryfka b. 1845 (died the same year), Chaim Juda (1846-48), and Szmul (Samuel) and Chaje, both born around 1855.

Szulem Kozminski married Chaje Flax and had Jakob (1825 – 1850 in Kalisz), Gittel (1828 - ?), Golda (1832 - ), and Sora (1840 - ). Chaim Juda married Bluma and had Josef, Jakob, Sora (1820 - ), and Chades. Their birth dates are unknown except for Sora.
      There was also a daughter named Rachel Lea b. 1811 but I don't know what happened to her.
      Last edited by ns37; 02-10-2018, 05:27 PM.

Comment

For Chaim Juda’s children in the next generation, Sora married Hajman Jochimowicz and had three children in Kalisz. There are no more records for them after 1851. Chades married Joel Grossbart and had four children. Joel dies in 1879 in Kalisz. There are no records for Joseph or Jakob so they probably moved. For Szulem’s children, Gittel married Szymsie Knopf and had nine children but they all moved to America. Golda married Icek Wolf Sztyer and had three children in Kalisz but there are no records after 1862. I think Sora married a David Marks and had six children in New York and London.

For Markus’ children, Sura Malka married Philip Ring and moved to London. She died in 1901 and five children. There are no records for Hades after her birth. Martin and Samuel are well-documented. Jachet married Icek Ajchman and had four children but I think they stayed in Kalisz. Fajgelche married Szlama Hranek and had one son in 1870 but then there are no records. Chaje married Berek Iglicza but there are no records after that. I can give the names of all these children if people are interested but they wouldn’t be Kosminskis. So, the people who could have moved to London are Sura Malka, Golda, Hades, Fajgelche, Chaje, Josef, Jakob, and Sora.

Comment

Thanks for all the effort you have made! Good to know that Martin Kozminski was married twice during his lifetime. Martin and Szura Sztein had five children: Mosie (Martin) b. 1843, Ryfka b. 1845 (died the same year), Chaim Juda (1846-48), and Szmul (Samuel) and Chaje, both born around 1855.

Scott Nelson: The Kalisz records also contain the births of their sons, Mosie(k) (1843), Jacob (1844) and Szmul (1855)

No Jacob Kosminski born 1844?

Comment

I think the 1844 Jakob is an error. Szulem registered four of his children (Jakob, Gittel, Sora, and Golda) at the same time in 1844 so his birth is listed in the 1844 index. However, the birth record states he was born 1825 and he died 1850.
            I've seen on other forums that Jacob Koski, Joseph Levy's neighbor, was originally a Kosminski. I haven't found any evidence of this. I think either he wasn't actually related or he was Chaim Juda's son Jakob.

Comment

Via Paddy:

Very possible this is Jacob Koski (born Kotsolkowski) from Sieradz, Lodzkie:

Probably no relation to any Kosminski.

Comment

That's helpful, it looks like we can eliminate any connection between Koski and the Kosminskis.
                Also, in the 2011 thread, the poster auntyjoan gave some information that conflicts a bit with what I have. I’ll quote her information here:
                “Marks Kosminksy had 7 children. Three boys and four girls. There was Rose, who married a Knopf. Hannah (Annie) b 1850, died New York 1937. She married a Percival. As an aside, in his Will, Martin left several legacies to this part of the family. Then there was Haider (Ada),1850-1930...She married a Stevens. They eventually lived in Norfolk Road, Dalston, as did Lawende...Then there was Zara who married a Marks… Lastly, the final male child to Marks. His name is not known but he apparently went to California during the Gold Rush and made himself a very wealthy man. But he had some sort of accident and died in America”.
                She also includes Sura Malka as a sister of Marks, not his daughter. I’m not sure how to reconcile this with my information. Rose could be confused with Gittel Knopf and Zara is probably Sora Marks but neither of those were Markus's daughters . None of names or dates for Markus's other children really fit but the names could have changed a lot. If anyone has any other information about this generation, that would be great.

Comment

Working...
                X