Klosowski Trial at Old Bailey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Klosowski Trial at Old Bailey

SEVERINO KLOSOWSKI, Killing > murder, 9th March 1903.

This makes it very clear just how much poor Maud really suffered. RIP dear.

Poisoning is not usually a preferred method of murder for men. Surely he knew he would be caught. What was in his mind?

I was touched by how much Maud's family seemed to care for her.

This testimony from Maud's sister caught my eye also:

I left the prisoner in the room with her and when I came back she was very bad and quite helpless—before I went into her room I saw the prisoner in the bar—he asked me if I was cold—I said. "What do you mean? How is my sister?"—he said, "I don't know; I will go and see"—I went up to her room, and found her very bad

I find him asking her if she was cold to have a sexual meaning. Sometimes when we women get cold, it can get a bit....nipply. Maybe I'm just reading too much into that, but if it were intended as a sexual remark, that is so alarmingly inappropriate. Poor Maud.

Comment

I wonder of if the comment was meant by Chapman as a way of insulting his sister-in-law. Criminals have ways of lashing out at people with language. George Joseph Smith, when asked by Alice Burnham's father about his antecedents, wrote a classic comment which has been published ("My mother was a buss horse, my father was a Cab driver, my sister a Roughrider over the Arctic regions, my brothers were all gallant sailors on a steam-roller."). Chapman may have known his sister-in-law was a prude and purposely used that cheap crack to get a rise out of her. Given what we know of him, if he was nasty to people it would not have been surprising.

Jeff

Comment

thank you Chris

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/brows...-318#highlight
        only got to glipse vreifly but seems like their is some useful info there. Thank you for posting it.
        We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

club

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/brows...-318#highlight
          do we know the location of this club for poles?

Comment

Originally posted by protohistorian View Post
            do we know the location of this club for poles?
            It was in the district of Clerkenwell - precisely where, we don't know.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
              It was in the district of Clerkenwell - precisely where, we don't know.
              thank you Sam. Would you have to proceed through Spitalfields from east India Dock to Clerkenwell?

Comment

thank you Sam. Would you have to proceed through Spitalfields from east India Dock to Clerkenwell?
                Not necessarily, Dave - you could stay well south of Spitalfields, walking along Commercial Road/Cable Street and heading into the City that way. Besides, Klosowski had already moved from West India Dock by the time Stanislaus Baderski met him at the club. I also seem to recall that Baderski said Klosowski was not a club member, so whether he went there every night is unknown.

Edit: a glance at the trial transcript shows that Klosowski attended the club regularly only on a Sunday, according to his brother-in-law. Also, that the club was located in St John's Square, Clerkenwell.
                Last edited by Sam Flynn; 02-01-2009, 02:35 PM.
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                  Not necessarily, Dave - you could stay well south of Spitalfields, walking along Commercial Road/Cable Street and heading into the City that way. Besides, Klosowski had already moved from West India Dock by the time Stanislaus Baderski met him at the club. I also seem to recall that Baderski said Klosowski was not a club member, so whether he went there every night is unknown.

Edit: a glance at the trial transcript shows that Klosowski attended the club regularly only on a Sunday, according to his brother-in-law. Also, that the club was located in St John's Square, Clerkenwell.
                  Where did George move to?

Comment

Why I was thinking that

My thoght is he would have had a motive for moving on a regular scedule. i believe he had one with or without membership, as a polish speaker he would have saught this enviroment for it's familiarity so to speak.

Comment

frquency

I suppose we will never lnow that. We wouldn't happen to know anything regarding events or functions at this club?

Comment

Working...
                      X