The broken window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DJA View Post
    Philips arrived at 11.15am and looked through the window.

He gained entry after Arnold instructed McCarthy to break open the door at 1.30 pm.
    I know, good aint it lol
    All depends which report you want to believe
    And through all this time they didn't make the landlord produce what all landlords have...the spare key.
    Nor presumably did they question the landlord about the type of lock used or maybe try to reach in,must have been able to see the latch through the window. It's madness, the lot of it
    You can lead a horse to water.....

Comment

Waiting on bloodhounds that had already been recalled by their owner.
      My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
        Waiting on bloodhounds that had already been recalled by their owner.
        If he said he was waiting for bloodhound puppies to grow up some would still believe it.The fact that Warren had resigned by this time doesn't help matters so why they were waiting on any orders from him remains a mystery in itself

Comment

Hi All,

What were the police waiting for in Millers Court between 11.30 am and 1.30 pm?

Bloodhounds?

Inspector Abberline told the inquest, "I had an intimation from Inspector Beck that the bloodhounds had been sent for, and the reply had been received that they were on the way. Dr. Phillips was unwilling to force the door, as it would be very much better to test the dogs, if they were coming. We remained until about 1.30 p.m., when Superintendent Arnold arrived, and he informed me that the order in regard to the dogs had been countermanded, and he gave orders for the door to be forced."

Around 25th October 1888 dog-handler Mr Taunton received a telegram asking him to go to Leman Street police station. On his arrival at around noon Superintendent Arnold told him that a robbery had taken place at 5.00 am in Commercial Street. Mr. Taunton was asked to track the thief by means of a bloodhound, and he told Superintendent Arnold of the stupidity of expecting a dog to accomplish anything after such a length of time had elapsed. Mr Taunton took the bloodhound home to 8 Doughty Street before returning it to Mr. Brough in Scarborough.

On 13th November 1888 Mr. Taunton told The Times, "there has not been a "police bloodhound"—that is to say a trained hound—in London for the past fortnight."

So what were the police waiting for in Millers Court between 11.30 am and 1.30 pm?

Regards,

Simon
          Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
            So what were the police waiting for in Millers Court between 11.30 am and 1.30 pm?
            Hi Simon,

You've provided the answer to your question in your post. Inspector Abberline had been told by Inspector Beck that bloodhounds had been sent for, so he and Beck were waiting for those bloodhounds to arrive. It wasn't until 1.30pm that they learnt from Superintendent Arnold that the dogs weren't coming.

Comment

On 13th November 1888 Mr. Taunton told The Times, "there has not been a "police bloodhound"—that is to say a trained hound—in London for the past fortnight."

Regards,

Simon
              Pretending they didn't know what was going on and pretty much laying the blame on Warren who had already resigned.

Comment

Hi David,

Who sent the reply saying that the bloodhounds—which were not in London at the time—were on their way to Millers Court?

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Inspector Beck,according to Abberline.

Comment

Who sent the reply saying that the bloodhounds—which were not in London at the time—were on their way to Millers Court?
                    Hi Simon,

I don't recall saying in my very short post that such a reply was sent. In answer to your question as to what the police were waiting for, I said that Inspector Abberline had been told by Inspector Beck that bloodhounds had been sent for, so they were waiting for those bloodhounds to arrive.

What's the difficulty you are having with this?

Comment

Hi DJA,

It reads to me as though Inspector Beck was the officer who requested the bloodhounds, and had received a reply saying they were on their way.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Hi David,

No, you didn't. Abberline did.

My difficulty is that there were no trained bloodhounds in London at the time that could have been sent to Millers Court.

So who said they were on their way?

It's a simple enough question.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

My difficulty is that there were no trained bloodhounds in London at the time that could have been sent to Millers Court.

It is a simple enough question, Simon, but different to the one you originally asked.

I had thought you wanted to know what the police were waiting for between 11.30am and 1.30pm.

I answered that question.

Or, as you prefer, Inspector Abberline answered it more than 125 years ago.

Now you want an answer to a different question.

As it happens, I have never had the chance to speak to Inspector Beck about this but I can let you into a little secret. Within a large organisation like the Metropolitan Police it is not surprising that there might have been communication issues and misunderstandings. If someone told Beck that the dogs were on their way, that person clearly made a mistake because we know they were not. If Beck was not told this but told Abberline that the dogs were on their way - or 'intimated' this to him (to use Abberline's word) - he clearly misunderstood what he had been told. If Beck did not tell Abberline this, then Abberline misunderstood what Beck told him.

Either way it makes no difference. You wanted to know what the police were waiting for and I told you. Job done.

Comment

Simple answer.....Beck.

Ironically Abberline, who was in charge of the Jack the Ripper investigation, remember Jack the Ripper....the story is about him,said that Arnold arrived with the "information" that the order for the dogs had been countermanded.

That was around 1.30 pm.

Comment

Hi David,

No, you didn't. Abberline did.

Regards,

Simon

Hello Simon,

Why would someone say that bloodhounds were on their way if they knew they were not, or could not be, "on their way"?

As does not reaching through the broken window..which they all saw and all knew about, to unlatch the door. Instead.. they pooh pooh around waiting for dogs that aren't there to turn up, and talking about a lost key...which doesnt appear anyway.

If Mary Kelly opened her own door by reaching through the broken window to get in, what stopped the police doing the same thing?

Communication issues no doubt within such an intrepid and large organisation all gathered in Millers Court that morning.

Phil
                              Last edited by Phil Carter; 10-09-2015, 12:01 PM.
                              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                              Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                                Hello Simon,

Why would someone say that bloodhounds were on their way if they knew they were not, or could not be, "on their way"?

As does not reaching through the broken window..which they all saw and all knew about, to unlatch the door. Instead.. they pooh pooh around waiting for dogs that aren't there to turn up, and talking about a lost key...which doesnt appear anyway.

If Mary Kelly opened her own door by reaching through the broken window to get in, what stopped the police doing the same thing?

Communication issues no doubt within such an intrepid and large organisation all gathered in Millers Court that morning.

Phil
                                In many walks of life they're called 'stalling tactics'

Comment

Working...
                                X