No announcement yet.

Advice on self guided Ripper walk.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is that fairly easy to do? I'm new to the area so don't know my way around just yet. Looking it seems to start at Duke Street and ends at Mitre Square/ Duke Street.

Or would you recommend leaving it until another visit when i become fairly familiar with the place. I will be arriving around half 11 and want to leave before dark. Plenty of time but don't fancy getting myself too lost

Avvie

Comment

Hi Avvie,

If you are particularly interested in Eddowes, you could do a circular walk that includes Bishopsgate Police Station. From Aldgate to the Square then via Bevis Marks or Houndsditch to Bishopsgate and the Police Station, then into Spitalfields via Artillery Lane and Passage. Or via Brushfield Street for the best view of Hawksmoors magnificent Christchurch next door to the Ten Bells. Once there you are just yards away from Hanbury Street. The Streets behind the Bells and the Church - Fournier, Wilkes and Princelet - are the best in Spitalfields - not to be missed.

Then back to Aldgate via Commercial Street, Wentworth Street and Goulston Street.

All very safe in daylight, I'd say.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by avvie View Post
        Is that fairly easy to do? I'm new to the area so don't know my way around just yet. Looking it seems to start at Duke Street and ends at Mitre Square/ Duke Street.

Or would you recommend leaving it until another visit when i become fairly familiar with the place. I will be arriving around half 11 and want to leave before dark. Plenty of time but don't fancy getting myself too lost

Avvie
        Its a 12 min walk Avvie. If you wish, I shall Facebook message your the route. Its as you suspect.

Neil
        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Hi Gary!

Thankyou, that sounds like a good plan. Very fascinated with Eddowes so sounds like a walk I would like to do, while also visiting other known areas.

Got to see Christchurch briefly in February while on a JtR tour, was beautiful at night but only saw from across the road.
          Have seen that their is a road just down from the 10 Bells which still has that Victorian feel to it, not sure of the name, but have noted it down for a must visit.

I am really interested in old buildings, especially Victorian builds, buildings with a workhouse feel to them, as well as buildings which have Victorian advertising on the walls (rare to see i think) from what i've seen Whitechapel seems to be the perfect place for all this.

Avvie

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
            Its a 12 min walk Avvie. If you wish, I shall Facebook message your the route. Its as you suspect.

Neil
            That would be great thankyou!

Avvie

Comment

Hi Avvie,

Obviously to follow in Kate's footsteps you would need to go from the police station to the square.

The street you mention is possibly Fashion Street.

If you are interested on Victorian architecture you may be interested in this:

Hope the weather holds for you.

Gary

Comment

Hi Avvie,

Good luck with the tour, I've only ever gone round on my own. On my first visit I drove around the sites using the map from 1888 out of one of the Ripper books! Bit confusing at some of the places that have changed but generally I got around fine.

I arrived in Whitechapel at around 10.30 PM on a Wednesday evening after driving down from a course I was on in Cambridge, having made my excuses after the evening meal. I'd mentioned it to my wife who advised me not to go walking around London on my own in the early hours, but went anyway. I called her from Mitre Square where I was parked up right in the middle! She asked if I'd got out of the car and I replied no, but in fact had been walking all around the Square and its environs!

I too was a bit concerned how safe it would be but to my surprise there were very few people about at some of the places and the others were so busy it was like daytime anyway, and in the whole 3-4 hours I didn't feel threatened once.

So, go and enjoy yourself, it's a great way to learn and soak up the atmosphere, especially Mitre Square which I also think is the most atmospheric.

regards,
                If I have seen further it is because I am standing on the shoulders of giants.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                  Hi Avvie,

Obviously to follow in Kate's footsteps you would need to go from the police station to the square.

The street you mention is possibly Fashion Street.

If you are interested on Victorian architecture you may be interested in this:

Hope the weather holds for you.

Gary
                  Oooo fantastic thanks! Something i would love to be a part of if it can help! Will look into coming down

Avvie

Comment

Originally posted by Tecs View Post
                    Hi Avvie,

Good luck with the tour, I've only ever gone round on my own. On my first visit I drove around the sites using the map from 1888 out of one of the Ripper books! Bit confusing at some of the places that have changed but generally I got around fine.

I arrived in Whitechapel at around 10.30 PM on a Wednesday evening after driving down from a course I was on in Cambridge, having made my excuses after the evening meal. I'd mentioned it to my wife who advised me not to go walking around London on my own in the early hours, but went anyway. I called her from Mitre Square where I was parked up right in the middle! She asked if I'd got out of the car and I replied no, but in fact had been walking all around the Square and its environs!

I too was a bit concerned how safe it would be but to my surprise there were very few people about at some of the places and the others were so busy it was like daytime anyway, and in the whole 3-4 hours I didn't feel threatened once.

So, go and enjoy yourself, it's a great way to learn and soak up the atmosphere, especially Mitre Square which I also think is the most atmospheric.

regards,
                    Your braver then me
                    Well done! Bet photo opportunities at night though were amazing! Once i've braved the streets alone next week my next plan will be evening with friends, or another tour

I'm just happy i can visit Mitre Square once more before it probably gets changed forever!
                    Who said change was good huh?

Avvie

Comment

Hi,
                      Was in Mitre Sq just last week, Although there is building work going on, the actual Sq was still open to walk and sit down in.
                      Unless things have changed in the last few days.

Comment

Originally posted by spyglass View Post
                        Hi,
                        Was in Mitre Sq just last week, Although there is building work going on, the actual Sq was still open to walk and sit down in.
                        Unless things have changed in the last few days.
                        Hi,
                        Yep had confirmation on Facebook, Mitte Square is still open and still able to sit on benches. don't know for how long though

Avvie

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                          Hey Avvie,

Ive never done a guided tour, always by myself.

Depends which site you want to do first. Whitechapel Station is good for Bucks Row, whereas Aldgate east is ok for Mitre Square, Henriques St, Commercial St and that area. Liverpool St for Bishopsgate nick, Dorset St.

I find Fridays are good, you get to hear St Bolotophs Church bells ringing, but Mitre Square gets packed with tours being shepeherded in and out. I suggest a week day.

The only really dodgy area is, maybe, Henriques St, and the Flower n Dean estate. I wouldnt venture there alone if I were you. However, if you are bold, act like you belong if you know what I mean. Try and go with a mate, its always better with friends.

Theres beggars outside The White Hart on Whitechapel High St, they can be in yer face.

Enjoy.

Monty

pS, Ive just come back from Yaxley......theres a coinkydink for you.
                          I'm not saying that Whitechapel is a rough area but my grandfather was based there in world war 2 he was a rear gunner on a milk float.
                          Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
                            I'm not saying that Whitechapel is a rough area but my grandfather was based there in world war 2 he was a rear gunner on a milk float.
                            I'm not saying Whitechapel is a rough area......
                            But even the pit bulls are on valuim

Even the arms on the chairs have tattoos.

I thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by spyglass View Post
                              I'm not saying Whitechapel is a rough area......
                              But even the pit bulls are on valuim

Even the arms on the chairs have tattoos.

I thank you.
                              And I believe they have bouncers on pub doors throwing people in.......

Where they have a pigs head as an air freshener.......

And you get told to wipe your feet as you leave........

Dear me, I could go on.....and on.....and on.......!!!!!!

regards,

Comment

Originally posted by avvie View Post
                                Your braver then me
                                Well done! Bet photo opportunities at night though were amazing! Once i've braved the streets alone next week my next plan will be evening with friends, or another tour

I'm just happy i can visit Mitre Square once more before it probably gets changed forever!
                                Who said change was good huh?

Avvie
                                Hi Avvie,

I've never been called brave before so I'll take that one thanks!

Unfortunately the only "camera" I had was a crappy old mobile and the pictures were not great. But, it was atmospheric at night and sitting in Mitre Square at midnight with a near full moon was something I do remember well.

Comment

Working...
                                X