Mitre Street bloodstains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitre Street bloodstains

Several murder sites supposedly had bloodstains discovered after the crimes, but I hadn't heard before about any associated with the Mitre Square killing until I read this;

Daily News 2nd Oct

"In connection with the Mitre-square murder a startling discovery was made during the afternoon. Sergeant Dudman had his attention drawn to 36, Mitre-street, a house a short distance from the spot where the murdered woman was found, and there he found what appeared to be bloodstains upon the doorway and underneath the window, as if a person had wiped his fingers on the window ledge and drawn a blood-stained knife down part of the doorway. Mr. Hartig, who lives on the premises, said he had only just before noticed the stains, and then quite by accident. Almost immediately afterwards the same police officer had his attention drawn to similar marks on the plate-glass window of Mr. William Smith at the corner of Mitre-square; but Mr. Smith scouted the idea that they could have anything to do with the murders, as the windows were covered at night by shutters. The discovery, notwithstanding, caused increased excitement for a time in the locality. The only other trace left by the murderer was a portion of an apron picked up in Goldston-street [sic], which corresponded with a piece left on the body of the victim, and this seemed to show that the murderer had escaped in the direction of Whitechapel."

Are there any mentions of these in other papers? What do people think - practical joke, unsubstantiated rumour, genuine clue, actual bloodstains from an unrelated source, etc...?

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
    Several murder sites supposedly had bloodstains discovered after the crimes, but I hadn't heard before about any associated with the Mitre Square killing until I read this;

Daily News 2nd Oct

"In connection with the Mitre-square murder a startling discovery was made during the afternoon. Sergeant Dudman had his attention drawn to 36, Mitre-street, a house a short distance from the spot where the murdered woman was found, and there he found what appeared to be bloodstains upon the doorway and underneath the window, as if a person had wiped his fingers on the window ledge and drawn a blood-stained knife down part of the doorway. Mr. Hartig, who lives on the premises, said he had only just before noticed the stains, and then quite by accident. Almost immediately afterwards the same police officer had his attention drawn to similar marks on the plate-glass window of Mr. William Smith at the corner of Mitre-square; but Mr. Smith scouted the idea that they could have anything to do with the murders, as the windows were covered at night by shutters. The discovery, notwithstanding, caused increased excitement for a time in the locality. The only other trace left by the murderer was a portion of an apron picked up in Goldston-street [sic], which corresponded with a piece left on the body of the victim, and this seemed to show that the murderer had escaped in the direction of Whitechapel."

Are there any mentions of these in other papers? What do people think - practical joke, unsubstantiated rumour, genuine clue, actual bloodstains from an unrelated source, etc...?
    I believe the stains were found to be candle wax.

Comment

Hah, really? I never even thought of that explanation.
      Cheers Jon.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
        I believe the stains were found to be candle wax.
        As in the expression, "something wicked this way comes"
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

....I don't get it....did the killer prick his thumbs?

Comment

....I don't get it....did the killer prick his thumbs?
            Ka-boom-TISH!
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

William Cross, the Carpenter, had simply wiped some ferrous grout residue on his doorway and window ledge. (He was renting, not owning)

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
                William Cross, the Carpenter, had simply wiped some ferrous grout residue on his doorway and window ledge. (He was renting, not owning)
                What`s your source for this one, Scott ?

Comment

It's a joke, Jon. With a reference in the 1888 trade directory. But I suspect something similar was responsible.

Comment

Hah, really? I never even thought of that explanation.
                    Cheers Jon.
                    Hi Joshua

From the Star 2nd Oct 1888:
                    "BLOODSTAINS ON THE WINDOW SILL of No. 36, Mitre-street, turned out to be nothing but candle-grease,"

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
                      It's a joke, Jon. With a reference in the 1888 trade directory. But I suspect something similar was responsible.
                      Aha, thanks Scott, sorry I should have guessed ... but it was the details that had me thinking you had found something other than the candle wax explanation.

Comment

Working...
                      X