Miller's Court Today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller's Court Today.

According to the pictures on the internet the entrance to Miller's Court was photographed on a modern photo and identified as a drop in the kerb. (Purple highlight.)
    Using Google Earth pictures and more purple I've highlighted on those pictures the area generally accepted as being the entrance to Miller's Court.
    I've recently visited the East End and this whole area, White's Row to Bushfield Street is a building site.

My question is on the google earth images how long was Miller's court passage?

How far was the end of the passage with regards to Bushfield Street?

I'm just wondering when the current building work is done could the actual spot of 13 Miller's court be once again more accessible.. cheers!
    Attached Files

The passage into Miller's Court was measured as 26' 4" long by 2' 10" wide, if that helps.
    Take a look at this Goad map;

Georeferencer is an online tool that assigns geographical location to any image.

There's a slider bar above the map window that allows you to fade between the street layout of today and of 1890. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of detail on the contemporary view, but your purple markings looks reasonably close.

Comment

Have a look:
      Discussion for general Whitechapel geography, mapping and routes the killer might have taken. Also the place for general census information and "what was it like in Whitechapel" discussions.

from Post #9

Comment

Thanks for those

The slider map is interesting if it's 100% accurate as I believe it shows the street being wider than it is now, or was a year or so ago.

The linked thread (thank you!) is rather confusing to me as it's claimed the drop in the kerb is the actual murder site and NOT the entrance to Miller's Court, which I was always led to believe it was. Why would the drop in the kerb be in a room or elsewhere in the Court other than it's entrance? Can we be sure when this kerb drop was placed there?

There are slight discrepancies between the thread and the slider map as to exact locations although both are pretty close in respects to each other. In the thread the first couple of photos/over lays suggest the 'room' was in the warehouse building but the later pictures claim the room was where the kerb was dropped... not the same place. *confused*

Comment

Easy:
          Dorset St then was not congruent with the "unnamed service Rd" next to the W&F exchange. So the kerb does not mark the line of houses then.
          See these fantastic overlays (Old maps/Google).
          They are as accurateas can be.

Comment

Working...
          X