Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An authorship analysis of the Jack the Ripper letters (Andrea Nini, 2018)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jerryd View Post
    Abby,

Yes, the Three Nuns incident during the double event.
    Thanks Jerry
    this guy sounds like a glorified Packer to me. maybe justifying his existence as head of a vigilance committee
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
      Thanks Jerry
      this guy sounds like a glorified Packer to me. maybe justifying his existence as head of a vigilance committee
      That and heading up the Skeleton Army in Whitechapel.

Comment

• A fascinating post. Perhaps we should search for a dialect that uses 'keep back' as an expression - that would involve running strings through period publications
        David Wilson Professor of Criminology:
        'Connection, connection, connection. There is no such thing as coincidence when you are dealing with serial killers.'

Comment

• Fascinating and comprehensive study of the linguistics and language used in the Ripper letters. It's interesting that the study claims 'Dear Boss' (27/09/1888), 'Saucy Jacky' (01/10/1888) & 'Moab and Midian' Letters (05/10/1888) were all by the same hand but doesn't feel the same about the 'From Hell' letter (15/10/1888). Which proposes something quite interesting. Yet, the 'From Hell' letter - not signed as Jack The Ripper even though it did claim it as his "trade name" - was the only one which also contained part of a human kidney which was confirmed as being female and suffering from brights disease. Later examination also showed it was pretty much a perfect fit for the kidney cut out from Eddowes. I believe the kidney sent to Lusk was that of Catherine Eddowes.

Which begs the question could the 'From Hell' letter be genuine - and the others the work of an enterprising journalist - perhaps Mr Bulling himself? I also believe the 'From Hell' letter to be genuine. I believe it was written with such language and mis-spellings as to try and throw the reader (and police) off the scent. Harder words were spelt fine but easy words were mis-spelt. Why? Ponderings....
          Last edited by erobitha; 01-10-2020, 02:42 PM.
          Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
          JayHartley.com

Comment

• Originally posted by erobitha View Post
            Fascinating and comprehensive study of the linguistics and language used in the Ripper letters. It's interesting that the study claims 'Dear Boss' (27/09/1888), 'Saucy Jacky' (01/10/1888) & 'Moab and Midian' Letters (05/10/1888) were all by the same hand but doesn't feel the same about the 'From Hell' letter (15/10/1888). Which proposes something quite interesting. Yet, the 'From Hell' letter - not signed as Jack The Ripper even though it did claim it as his "trade name" - was the only one which also contained part of a human kidney which was confirmed as being female and suffering from brights disease. Later examination also showed it was pretty much a perfect fit for the kidney cut out from Eddowes. I believe the kidney sent to Lusk was that of Catherine Eddowes.

Which begs the question could the 'From Hell' letter be genuine - and the others the work of an enterprising journalist - perhaps Mr Bulling himself? I also believe the 'From Hell' letter to be genuine. I believe it was written with such language and mis-spellings as to try and throw the reader (and police) off the scent. Harder words were spelt fine but easy words were mis-spelt. Why? Ponderings....
            hi ero
            From Hellmentions nothing about trade name-signs off with-catch me when you can.
            But I also believe it more than likely genuine. Ive never bought the argument that it was prank from a medical student or anything along those lines-it would be extremely difficult to obtain a human kidney.
            The mention of eating it also is interesting as post mortem serial killers are the type that engage in cannibalism as is now known.. Would hoaxer back then know that?
            The overall letter has a ring of truth to it to me-not signing off like all the others as jack the ripper, sending to a local vigilance committee member(did the ripper assume lawenda and company-watching him before he murdered eddowes- were members??)

Howver. I don't think he was trying to disguise anything or throw off the scent intentionally when he wrote it. To me it looks like he may have written it while drunk-the sloppiness, large flourishes to the letters, misspellings etc.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Good to know that the 3-B Rule is alive and well.
              Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• 3-B rule or not 3-B rule that is the question...

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                  Good to know that the 3-B Rule is alive and well.
                  whats the 3-b rule?

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Hi Abby,

Bulls*it Baffles Brains.

Regards,

Simon
                    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Anyone know which letters this press report is referring to?

"Jack the Ripper's" Whereabouts
                      London, Dec. 31.
                      The police have received and traced to their origin letters which lead them to believe that "Jack the Ripper" is living in the vicinity of Dury (sic) Lane.

Comment

• Originally posted by erobitha View Post
                        Fascinating and comprehensive study of the linguistics and language used in the Ripper letters. It's interesting that the study claims 'Dear Boss' (27/09/1888), 'Saucy Jacky' (01/10/1888) & 'Moab and Midian' Letters (05/10/1888) were all by the same hand but doesn't feel the same about the 'From Hell' letter (15/10/1888). Which proposes something quite interesting. Yet, the 'From Hell' letter - not signed as Jack The Ripper even though it did claim it as his "trade name" - was the only one which also contained part of a human kidney which was confirmed as being female and suffering from brights disease. Later examination also showed it was pretty much a perfect fit for the kidney cut out from Eddowes. I believe the kidney sent to Lusk was that of Catherine Eddowes.

I certainly agree with the part in bold above erobitha, too elaborate to be a hoax. And sent to Lusk, not the Police. I think that in that small detail we may see something revealing, albeit only relating to Kates murder at this point.

A brief hello to an old friend of mine here, Its nice to see you Simon. Even If only your typed thoughts.
                        Michael Richards

Comment

Working...
                        X