Pc Long and the piece of rag.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
    Been hearing this rubbish for a looooooong time now.

"I can't"

"The big break through isnjust around the corner"

what happened to

If I can't do it within the year I'll give up?

Oh that's right more BS.
    Geoff

I think he has given something recently, he is claiming his person died and is buried overseas i think.

but yes no details, no data, not one thing.

it is dragging on, and on

steve

Comment

• Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
      Can you please give me the exact time and source of the above ?
      Thank you ☺
      Hi Phil

The Star 4th Oct 1888

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
        Hey Jerry,

There were 2 men who were brought up on charges in connection with the Tower explosion in 1885, and one of them lived in #5 Mitre Square. Lets put it this way Jerry...in no other "Ripper alleged" murders do we find more police within whistle range, and no adequate explanation for 3 detectives who in the middle of the night were a few alleys away.

Might be a reason why Pearce lived in the square...and why most of it was uninhabited.
        According to City Police Inspector McWilliam's report;
        "with a view to preventing if possible a repetition of the murders which had previously been committed in Whitechapel and to keep close observation upon all Prostitutes frequenting public houses and walking the streets, extra men in plain clothes have been employed by this department since August last to patrol the Eastern portion of the City"
        When Eddowes' body was discovered, DC's Halse, Marriott and Outram "had been searching the passages of houses in the immediate neighbourhood of the spot where the murder was committed (& where the doors are left open all night)"

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
          Hi Mike

But it was Dr Bond who first compiled the C5 in Nov 88.
          If he had compiled the list late July 89, it would have been the C6.
          Actually Jon, Bond did not see any similarity with Kellys murder, which would mean that it would still be a C5.
          Michael Richards

Comment

• Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
            According to City Police Inspector McWilliam's report;
            "with a view to preventing if possible a repetition of the murders which had previously been committed in Whitechapel and to keep close observation upon all Prostitutes frequenting public houses and walking the streets, extra men in plain clothes have been employed by this department since August last to patrol the Eastern portion of the City"
            When Eddowes' body was discovered, DC's Halse, Marriott and Outram "had been searching the passages of houses in the immediate neighbourhood of the spot where the murder was committed (& where the doors are left open all night)"
            Hi Josh,

At the time of Kates murder no-one in the city force would have any reason to patrol lanes or avenues inside the city limit, I could see perimeter walks, but sending 3 detectives out after midnight seems like more than casual lane checking.
            Michael Richards

Comment

Hi Josh,

At the time of Kates murder no-one in the city force would have any reason to patrol lanes or avenues inside the city limit, I could see perimeter walks, but sending 3 detectives out after midnight seems like more than casual lane checking.
              I would call a series of horrific murders a pretty good reason. Whether or not you think so today, public opinion at the time had it that four prostitutes had been killed before the double event by a dangerous lunatic. So extra men checking dark corners and alleyways in the vicinity of known prostitution sites like St Botolph's Church seems like a good idea to at least try to allay public fears, and perhaps even catch Leather Apron. It would seem extremely complacent for the City police to think the killer (or killers) couldn't strike on their turf, all that was required was for victim and killer to head west in search of an intimate venue, instead of east. The regular beat cops would already be patrolling the perimeter and performing casual lane checking, as you put it, but evidently more manpower was felt necessary to try and prevent any more murders. Sadly even that it wasn't enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                I would call a series of horrific murders a pretty good reason. Whether or not you think so today, public opinion at the time had it that four prostitutes had been killed before the double event by a dangerous lunatic. So extra men checking dark corners and alleyways in the vicinity of known prostitution sites like St Botolph's Church seems like a good idea to at least try to allay public fears, and perhaps even catch Leather Apron. It would seem extremely complacent for the City police to think the killer (or killers) couldn't strike on their turf, all that was required was for victim and killer to head west in search of an intimate venue, instead of east. The regular beat cops would already be patrolling the perimeter and performing casual lane checking, as you put it, but evidently more manpower was felt necessary to try and prevent any more murders. Sadly even that it wasn't enough.
                I believe youre correct in assuming that the murders were very serious business, what Im questioning is the presence of City detectives within the City of London after 1am. The Met police carried the weight of these killings up until Kates murder, so before Kates murder there was no urgent need to have detectives in the alleys and lanes of London in addition to the beat cops. But oddly enough, when Kate is murdered, we have around 7 trained policemen within earshot...the three detectives, 2 beat cops Watkins and Harvey, 1 active policeman Pearce living with a room and window overlooking the square...towards the area where Kate is killed, and a retired policeman Morris within the square. Its an odd fact to me at least that the people closest to the murder scene were police.

It also had been more than 3 weeks since any Ripperesque murders took place.
                Michael Richards

Comment

Actually Jon, Bond did not see any similarity with Kellys murder, which would mean that it would still be a C5.
                  Bond's reply after Robert Anderson requested him to give his views regarding the Whitechapel murders reported

I beg to report that I have read the notes of the 4 Whitechapel Murders viz:

1. Buck's Row.
                  2. Hanbury Street.
                  3. Berner's Street.
                  4. Mitre Square.

I have also made a Post Mortem Examination of the mutilated remains of a woman found yesterday in a small room in Dorset Street -

1. All five murders were no doubt committed by the same hand

Comment

• Originally posted by Observer View Post
                    Bond's reply after Robert Anderson requested him to give his views regarding the Whitechapel murders reported

I beg to report that I have read the notes of the 4 Whitechapel Murders viz:

1. Buck's Row.
                    2. Hanbury Street.
                    3. Berner's Street.
                    4. Mitre Square.

I have also made a Post Mortem Examination of the mutilated remains of a woman found yesterday in a small room in Dorset Street -

1. All five murders were no doubt committed by the same hand
                    Yep.

Problem: Bond only saw one victim. And Phillips - who saw four - said:

"After careful and long deliberation I cannot satisfy myself on purely anatomical and professional grounds that the perpetrator of all the "Whitechapel Murders" is one man."

It is what it always was - medicos disagreeing. Itīs the same as how Brown and Sequiera disagreed about whether Eddowes killer was skilled or not, as how Phillips and Bond chose wildly differing TOD estimations for Kelly, as how the doctors disagreed on whether Mylett was strangled or died accidentally etcetera.

All we can do is to look at the objective recorded facts and decide for ourselves what it amounts to, and whether there are markers that follow a line throughout, either for the C5 series only or for more than so. That, I find, is by far the most fruitful path we can follow.

Comment

• Michael,

This book will help you.

Monty
                      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
                        Geoff

I think he has given something recently, he is claiming his person died and is buried overseas i think.

but yes no details, no data, not one thing.

it is dragging on, and on

steve
                        Yep, and "I've got sources, but can't tell you what they are"

Well I've got sources that say Pierre is a BS artist and they're all right here on Casebook.
                        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Working...
                        X