Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Kosminski, Aaron: Is Kosminski still the best suspect we have? - by Damaso Marte 2 hours ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: The Lechmere/Cross "name issue" - by drstrange169 3 hours ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: The Lechmere/Cross "name issue" - by drstrange169 3 hours ago.
Elizabeth Stride: Lipski - by c.d. 7 hours ago.
A6 Murders: Here we go again.... - by moste 8 hours ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: The Lechmere/Cross "name issue" - by John G 8 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: The Lechmere/Cross "name issue" - (10 posts)
A6 Murders: Here we go again.... - (9 posts)
Kosminski, Aaron: Is Kosminski still the best suspect we have? - (7 posts)
Tumblety, Francis: More Newspaper Articles - (4 posts)
Non-Fiction: Patricia Cornwell - Walter Sickert - BOOK 2 - (3 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: Lipski - (3 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Kosminski, Aaron

View Poll Results: Is Kosminski the best Ripper suspect?
Yes 25 28.41%
No 47 53.41%
Maybe? 16 18.18%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-21-2017, 03:27 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
When Kłosowski was arrested almost precisely 14 years after the Ripper murders, Abberline is said to have praised George Godley for having caught "Jack the Ripper at last", and went on to say as much in subsequent newspaper interviews. Like Swanson, Abberline was a distinguished detective minutely involved in the case, and - like Swanson - we all greatly admire and respect him. However, that doesn't mean that his indictment of Kłosowski was anything other than a post hoc exercise in supposition, and it certainly doesn't mean that Kłosowski was a Ripper suspect until after his arrest in 1902; indeed, it very much appears that he wasn't. By extension, it is equally possible that Kosminski's "career" as a Ripper suspect might have started and proceeded along very similar lines, and by a similar process of speculation on Swanson's part.
The voice of intelligent reason.
Thank you.

Phol

Justice for the 96 = achieved
Accountability? ....
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:46 AM
Inspector

Quote:
When Kłosowski was arrested almost precisely 14 years after the Ripper murders, Abberline is said to have praised George Godley for having caught "Jack the Ripper at last", and went on to say as much in subsequent newspaper interviews. Like Swanson, Abberline was a distinguished detective minutely involved in the case, and - like Swanson - he is widely admired and respected by ripperologists. However, that doesn't mean that his indictment of Kłosowski was anything other than a post hoc exercise in supposition, and it certainly doesn't mean that Kłosowski was a Ripper suspect until sometime after his arrest in 1902 (indeed, it very much appears that he wasn't). By extension, it is equally possible that Kosminski's "career" as a Ripper suspect proceeded along very similar lines, started by a similar process of speculation on Macnaghten's (or even Swanson's) part.
And this is one of the reason's why Kosminski is not the best Ripper suspect or even a good Ripper suspect.
Old Yesterday, 07:25 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
When Kłosowski was arrested almost precisely 14 years after the Ripper murders, Abberline is said to have praised George Godley for having caught "Jack the Ripper at last", and went on to say as much in subsequent newspaper interviews. Like Swanson, Abberline was a distinguished detective minutely involved in the case, and - like Swanson - he is widely admired and respected by ripperologists. However, that doesn't mean that his indictment of Kłosowski was anything other than a post hoc exercise in supposition, and it certainly doesn't mean that Kłosowski was a Ripper suspect until sometime after his arrest in 1902 (indeed, it very much appears that he wasn't). By extension, it is equally possible that Kosminski's "career" as a Ripper suspect proceeded along very similar lines, started by a similar process of speculation on Macnaghten's (or even Swanson's) part.
Most of which is already known, and doesn't take away from Kosminski being the best suspect. The case against Kosminski had some meat on it's bones, it is not purely speculative. We have a witness who states Kosminski was there; that is a contemporary piece of evidence. We know for a fact that a police investigation against someone believed to be called Kosminski took place, we don't know that about Klosowski.

I still find it hard to believe that im having to argue against respected posters who believe that a witness stating Kosminski was at a murder scene does not constitute the best evidence we have against any individual. I fully admit that this information passed down to us is flawed, but it is still the single greatest piece of evidence we have against anyone.

Can I ask what evidence you feel is stronger against any other of the Ripper suspects?
Old Yesterday, 07:59 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_c View Post
Most of which is already known, and doesn't take away from Kosminski being the best suspect. The case against Kosminski had some meat on it's bones, it is not purely speculative. We have a witness who states Kosminski was there; that is a contemporary piece of evidence. We know for a fact that a police investigation against someone believed to be called Kosminski took place, we don't know that about Klosowski.

I still find it hard to believe that im having to argue against respected posters who believe that a witness stating Kosminski was at a murder scene does not constitute the best evidence we have against any individual. I fully admit that this information passed down to us is flawed, but it is still the single greatest piece of evidence we have against anyone.

Can I ask what evidence you feel is stronger against any other of the Ripper suspects?
You are correct. Koz is the only suspect where there is any direct evidence against. The apparently positive ID by a witness.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_c View Post
Certainly, Jason: I don't feel that the evidence is strong against any of them. That's not a cop-out, by the way.

I'll expand on that a little. Stronger cases have been made for Bury, Klosowski and even George Hutchinson, in the first two instances because they were known misogynists who murdered women, and in the second for details of Hutchinson's whereabouts, movements and (arguably) suspicious behaviour at the time of Mary Kelly's death. I don't believe that either was Jack the Ripper, but they have stronger claims to infamy than Kosminski, whose "foreign madman" status might have been sufficient reason, perhaps the only reason, to have brought him to the attention of the police.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Last edited by Sam Flynn : Yesterday at 01:21 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
You are correct. Koz is the only suspect where there is any direct evidence against. The apparently positive ID by a witness.
That's anecdotal, as opposed to direct evidence, in a book written by a man who appeared to be disdainful of Jews. Not the best source one could hope for in this context.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
I have to disagree the evidence against Koz is not direct evidence.

Cheers John
Old Yesterday, 09:58 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wheat View Post
I have to disagree the evidence against Koz is not direct evidence.

Cheers John
Can you agree that at the very least its reliability can be called into question, given that it is not an official record?

In my view we have at different tiers of suspect.

Tier 1a
People who were investigated by the police as a suspect, and where we do not have a compelling reason to dismiss them. I believe Kosminski falls into this category. I would not put Druitt into this category but some would. George Chapman may be in this category.

Tier 1b
People who were not investigated by the police as a suspect, but who can be placed at a murder scene. Hello, Hutchinson and Cross.

Tier 2
People who were investigated by the police as a suspect, but where we have a compelling reason to dismiss them. Ostrog, for example.

Tier 3
"They were in London at the time" - most suspects.

Tier 4
"We can't even prove they were in London at the time" - Vincent Van Gogh, James Maybrick, etc.

In this view, Kosminski is indeed one of the stronger suspects, but it's a tallest midget contest.