Common Criticism for Ripper Media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common Criticism for Ripper Media

What are some mistakes that you commonly see in movies, television shows, comicbooks, and novels about Jack the Ripper, his victims, or Victorian London?

For instance...

I have always had a problem with how they depict the murderer as a shadowy figure, with long cape and top hat, carrying a leatherbag full of knives and extensive medical knowledge.

I doubt he would've dressed like that, he would've gained too much attention. More likely, he disguised himself in unassuming clothes and mixed in with the crowd quite well. Maybe he struck up a long, humorous conversation with a friend at the bar before heading out to find a prostitute and murder her.

Another issue I have is how little the focus is on the Ripper's victims. The lives they lead and the personalities they had are never really the center of the plot, usually it's some related sidestory that is given prominence. The whole "Detective versus Notorious Villian," I guess, where the victims are treated as merely pieces of the puzzle. Sometimes the real names aren't used in these films, other times their identities and backgrounds are changed to fiction. The whole point of the case was that five (maybe more) women were murdered and the killer was never caught, but the entertainers seem to care more about the "whodonnit" aspect.

Also, I would like to see more atmospheric treatment about the United Kingdom and the East End at this time. "From Hell" was wonderfully accurate in terms of the clothes, the crime scenes, and the immediate area. But I think it would also be as interesting to include scenes of the workhouses, the docks, etc. There are also a wealth of culture and strange occupations that you don't see anymore, such as the night-soil men, because of the improvement of society. If you read the first chapter of "The Ghost Map: The Story of London's Most Terrifying Epidemic--and How It Changed Science, Cities, and the Modern World" by Steven Johnson, you'll get what I mean.

Finally, I'm tired of the same theories being used over and over again. Especially after researching deeper into the case, the movies that rely on the whole Royal Conspiracy theory become far less enjoyable. Can't they come up with new material? I would love to experience a film where the culprit is an American quack doctor, a sailor/soldier on leave, an escape insane inmate, a homeless local, or a religious fanatic. What about the era's rise in women's rights and the brutal backlash against it, wouldn't that make good source material? I'm hoping for some creativity in future Ripper films.

Thank you, especially if you read my entire rant.

What are your thoughts?
    "You want to take revenge for my murdered sister? Sister would definitely have not ... we would not have wanted you to be like this."

~ Angelina Durless

Hello Madam Red, so sorry you had no replies to this post all month. I just noticed it myself. I agree with you about how movies have treated the Ripper's victims. In fact they have ignored the facts entirely and completely fictionalized them as characters without exception. Liz Stride is never Swedish. Kate and Mary Jane are never shown to have "significant others" in their lives who they live with. Never a mention of how ill Annie was, or an inclusion of Polly's wonderful quote about her "jolly bonnet." Nothing about the numerous children that four of the five had either given birth to or lost. And always for some reason a need to depict them as a group of friends who knew each other well, which has no truth to it whatsoever even if a few of them MAY have crossed paths on occasion. I think it's inexcusable to take real women who died in so horrible a manner just a little more than one maximum human lifetime ago and turn them into fictional characters.

I hope against hope for a really accurate Ripper movie some day, one which would ignore the Royal Conspiracy entirely and include suspects like George Chapman, James Kelly and William Bury. What great characters they would make!

Comment

Hi Red,

Actually, all the above covers the things that annoy me, as well. That and just out and out mistakes, due to sloppy research, or the interference of some producers, etc., who are more interested in getting high ratings than presenting history. I'd like to see a straightforward movie that sticks to what's known. Sometimes, I get the sense that what really happened doesn't pass muster in the excitement department so that the story has to be dramatized to make it more exciting. I doubt many people realize how much drama was actually involved in the real events, because they're fed conspiracies or other fantastic plot lines and don't know the real story, or what we know of it.
      "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Hey Red,

Yes they are all annoying, but I think particularly are some of the romanticized versions of the East End in 1888 that these media forms carry. If you watch the 1988 JTR mini-series, just as one example, you will see that the streets and buildings are largely clean and orderly - you could almost eat your dinner off the footpaths that they depicted. When this was just not the case, as well all know - it was a dirty, grimy area filled with vice and filth from humans and animals alike.

Yet the mini-series isn't alone, this has happened many different times....

George Lusk is usually portrayed as some sort of trouble-making, fame-seeking, gangster wannabe as well....which is more than a little inaccurate.

Cheers,
        Adam.

Comment

I have to say that I can't handle the Michael Caine JTR one. I know of several people who were turned onto the subject after seeing it, but at the time, I had been interested in the case for over 10 years and was looking forward to it. When it was broadcast, I was sitting expectantly in my bedsit (I was at university at the time) and after episode #1 thought:

* Oh no, not the bloody Royal conspiracy...
          * Oh dear, Abberline is a drunk.
          * What's wrong with George Lusk? Is he totally barking?
          * Mr Lees - get a grip.
          * Why does everybody keep shouting?

I saw it again last year and couldn't finish it.

JB (with apologies to Mr. Caine et al)

Comment

I think that it would be good if a JtR film was made that was as close to the known facts as possible, as a docu-drama if you like. The obvious problem being that audiences want a conclusive answer, which they would not get.

Comment

Hi Red, all,

the position of Mary Kelly's bed seems to be a constant issue, then there are the street names, timelines, character portrayal, etc. In short, I have yet to see an accurate adaption of the JtR case for the stage or silver screen that is not yet another rehash of the Royal Conspiracy theory and closely sticks to the facts. It's high time to bury that nonsense once and for all which has spoilt so many people.

Regards,

Boris
              ~ All perils, specially malignant, are recurrent - Thomas De Quincey ~

Comment

hi all!
                From Hell the graphic novel, is a superbly detailed and correct piece of work ( ok forget the conspiracy plot, although still enjoyable ) Both ALAN MOORE and EDDIE CAMPBELL have constructed a fine piece of work, highly detailed and mostly correct in showing the scenes based on fact.
                I also highly reccomend PAUL GEARYS JACK THE RIPPER, some of the finest art work on the case I have seen in his own unique way.

Comment

I agree, John, about the mini-series. The best thing about that, for me, was Michael Caine, an actor I like.

Mycroft, that's the situation, people wanting a conclusive answer. It's human nature. A lot of people want things tidied up.
                  "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

John:

I suppose that the films have to be made in such a way that they are appealing to audiences of all types as well, as it's not just going to be Ripperologists that watch it. But at the same time, to go to the lengths they did in the Caine film, and have people like Robert James Lees, Richard Mansfield, Dr. Llewellyn, etc as suspects, was just a little bizarre.

Anyway, it has to be preffered to From Hell! Atleast Abberline doesn't run off with MJK and live happily ever after at the end of the Caine film.....

Cheers,
                    Adam.

Comment

Adam- is that how "From Hell" the graphic novel ends? Haven't read it yet but plan to soon. If you're referring to the movie, actually Abberline (Johnny Depp) ODs on opium and dies at the end while MJK lives happily with her daughter in Ireland.

Comment

In re: From Hell comic and movie -

I'm a fan and admirer of Alan Moore's and Eddie Campbell's graphical novel. They went to great lengths to accurately depict the dreary life in the East End and the people involved in the Ripper case, and although I don't agree with their conclusions, the dark atmosphere and excellent storytelling gets me everytime I read it. The large references chapter with the hilarious graphical realization of the history of the Royal Conspiracy theory alone is worth the money in my opinion.

Then there's From Hell - the movie... well, it's a nice spine-chiller but completely (or should I say inevitably) lacks the evocative atmosphere of the comic, not to mention the grotesque depiction of Abberline as a drug-addicted clairvoyant who falls in love with Mary Kelly, saves her from getting hacked to pieces and finally does away with himself in an opium den. To me, From Hell seems like the cinematic equivalent to a dancefloor remix of an old Stax soul music classic - the theme is still there but the groove is gone.

Regards,

Boris
                        ~ All perils, specially malignant, are recurrent - Thomas De Quincey ~

Comment

Evening all!

Many of the reasons you have all mentioned also annoy me sometimes. The amount of tv series or movies which continually point to William Gull as the Ripper....there are so many!! Grrr.

There is, however, a three part mini-series called 'Whitechapel' which just finished being aired in Australia 2 nights ago. I as of yet have not found a thread on this, apologies if there already is one. I found it very well researched! It is set in Whitechapel 2009 and a copycat JtR is going around Whitechapel killing in exactly the same way, places and similar victims to that of the original ripper. I thought it was extremely well researched for a mini-series and well......i won't spoil it.....i suggest you see it if you can. Even if you find it inaccurate in places, it is throughly enjoyable. (Having Phil Davis and Rupert Penry-Jones in it! :-) )

But the conspiracy theory does get boring after a while, indeed the notion of a Monarchy cover up. But yes, a 'docu-drama' would be very intriguing. Mention things which maybe not many people know about, such as why the victims got into prostitution and why, their lives before the streets of whitechapel etc.

Regards,

Yimmit.

Comment

Kensei - I do enjoy the From Hell movie, more from a pure movie lover pov rather than JtR enthusiast pov. The ending, however, always had me puzzled with him burning the letter and talking about 'going to her or waiting'. So the lady who was murdered in Miller's Court is not Mary Kelly.....the French girl maybe?

Comment

Kensei:

I was talking about the movie version....wasn't there an imagined scene at the end where Abberline was with MJK? Maybe I'm the one who imagined it....it's been a while since I've seen it.

Yimmit:

Yes, saw "Whitechapel" as well! Very good show, although if there's any criticism, it's that there were only 2 episodes of 50 minutes each and it was all a bit rushed. But historically, it does name a lot of people who were actually involved in the original JTR case (I almost threw a brick through the TV when I thought they were going to show George Hutchinson as MJK's killer....ugh) and is definitely worth checking out if anyone else gets the chance.

They also said at the end of the second and final show that it's available on DVD at ABC stores....

Cheers,
                              Adam.

Comment

Working...
                              X