Emma Smith - where exactly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi DBG,

It's not much use, but here's the 1888 Post Office Directory map of the area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1888 POST OFFICE DIRECTORY MAP.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	663553

Regards,

Simon
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Talking of Goad maps, I was looking at an old thread on here and it appears Rob Clack may have one....

http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=324&page=5

Tantalisingly we see here half of Brick Lane on post #47

Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave that's excellent.

I'll contact Rob to see if he has the other side of Brick Ln. It does confirm a couple of things:

No 11 is on the corner, and as there's an 11 and an 11a in Simon's list, the dotted line I included on my sketch was definitely there in 1888.

Also, checking the Goad key for what the entryway between Taylor's and No 7 is, it's given as 'passage under' suggesting there was a tunnel/passage of some type.

Comment

Doesnt answer the question however....

.....some may find it interesting.

Discussion for general Whitechapel geography, mapping and routes the killer might have taken. Also the place for general census information and "what was it like in Whitechapel" discussions.

Monty

PS, I'll BBM Rob to see if he is available to answer this query....though he may tell me to s*d orf
          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Until the expert arrives; I don't know if this means anything (and I could be saying something embarassingly stupid here as maps really aren't my thing!) but in the 1881 census #10 Brick Lane appears immediately before #1Montague Street, but not in 1891.

Comment

This is where number 10 Brick Lane was.

Click image for larger version

Name:	10 Brick Lane.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	663560

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
                Until the expert arrives; I don't know if this means anything (and I could be saying something embarassingly stupid here as maps really aren't my thing!) but in the 1881 census #10 Brick Lane appears immediately before #1Montague Street, but not in 1891.
                Hi Debs,

There was renumbering between the 1881 and 1891 census. The numbering changed from continuous to odds and evens, so that's probably why.

Rob

Comment

Thanks for that Rob...she was even closer to home than we thought then

Dave

Comment

The covered yard referred to by other posters bears a passing resemblance to a larger version of Millers Court, but without the small area immediately outside the window of No.13.

Regards, Bridewell.
                    Last edited by Bridewell; 04-08-2012, 04:30 PM.
                    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Thanks Rob

The seeming absence of houses, (not to mention the big 'E' on the OS map) made things difficult, so it's good to have that sorted.

I assume the covered entrance was to a loading yard of some such, used by the factory. I imagine it was gated, which is of interest considering Nichols, Stride and Eddowes, even if it's unlikely that Emma Smith was a Ripper victim.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                        Hi Debs,

There was renumbering between the 1881 and 1891 census. The numbering changed from continuous to odds and evens, so that's probably why.

Rob

Thanks, Rob. I guess that's why maybe some placed the attack on the corner then?

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
                          Thanks, Rob. I guess that's why maybe some placed the attack on the corner then?
                          Yes it probably is. All the reports are a bit vague. I presume her route to her lodgings would have been up Brick Lane and a left into Thrawl Street as that would be the route she took from her Lodgings to London Hospital. If Reid's report is anything to go by.

Rob

Comment

Hi all,

Regarding the mention of 'covered entrance' in some of the above posts. What's the source for that?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi Tom

The Goad map of the western side of Brick Ln, between Wentworth and Thrawl Streets, gives the yard between Taylor's and No 7 as being an opening with a 'passage under' it would seem therefore to be a covered entrance - the gate is pure conjecture on behalf, imagining that it is a loading bay or some such for the factory.

Cheers

DavidB

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                              Hi all,

Regarding the mention of 'covered entrance' in some of the above posts. What's the source for that?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Surely the Goad Map quoted via the link to Rob Clack's posting?

All the best

Dave
                                Last edited by Cogidubnus; 04-09-2012, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X