Greatest hoax of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hercule Poirot View Post
    Who's God is the real one: the Jewish God, the Muslim God or the Christian God?
    The Jewish God gets my vote, mainly because he was invented several centuries before the other two. I'm 100% atheist, by the way, but I acknowledge the relative antiquity of the three Abrahamic religions. Yahweh was there first, by a loooooooooooong way
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
      In similar vein, Joseph Smith's Book of Mormon has to have been one of the most influential hoaxes in comparatively recent history.
      Well I don’t put Mormons anywhere near the Scientology nonsense.

Or am I missing something? Was there something found showing smith knew he faked his experiences?

Comment

To be honest I’ve just read an short account of Joseph Smith’s life to refresh my memory. I don’t know if Hubbard could have made this stuff up!
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
          Well I don’t put Mormons anywhere near the Scientology nonsense.
          Neither do I, but this is about "great hoaxes", not "greatest bull$hit hoaxes" specifcally. The Book of Mormon has had a huge impact, and has exerted its influence for a much longer time than Scientology, and has a wider reach worldwide. The Mormon Church is certainly bigger than the Church of Scientology so - yes - I'd say that the Book of Mormon has been a greater, more "successful" hoax than anything L Ron Hubbard cooked up.
          Was there something found showing smith knew he faked his experiences?
          Smith must have known that the book was a load of tripe, and all that guff about magic translation-stones, golden plates (etc) must surely have been deliberate, snake-oil-salesman nonsense. Besides, Smith wasn't exactly averse to commiting fraud and other breaches of the law, as his biography shows.
          Last edited by Sam Flynn; 01-22-2018, 03:35 PM.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

The Jewish God gets my vote, mainly because he was invented several centuries before the other two. I'm 100% atheist, by the way, but I acknowledge the relative antiquity of the three Abrahamic religions. Yahweh was there first, by a loooooooooooong way
            How odd of God
            To choose the Jews.

But not so odd
            As those who choose
            A Jewish God
            Yet spurn the Jews.

Graham
            We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Neither do I, but this is about "great hoaxes", not "greatest bull$hit hoaxes" specifcally. The Book of Mormon has had a huge impact, and has exerted its influence for a much longer time than Scientology, and has a wider reach worldwide. The Mormon Church is certainly bigger than the Church of Scientology so - yes - I'd say that the Book of Mormon has been a greater, more "successful" hoax than anything L Ron Hubbard cooked up.
              Smith must have known that the book was a load of tripe, and all that guff about magic translation-stones, golden plates (etc) must surely have been deliberate, snake-oil-salesman nonsense. Besides, Smith wasn't exactly averse to commiting fraud and other breaches of the law, as his biography shows.
              Got it. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                To be honest I’ve just read an short account of Joseph Smith’s life to refresh my memory. I don’t know if Hubbard could have made this stuff up!
                Lol. Or vice versus.

Comment

My opinion is all I have to offer here,

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.

Comment

Originally posted by DirectorDave View Post

Brilliant! Cheers for posting that Dave. We may be the only cricket fans on the thread
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                      Brilliant! Cheers for posting that Dave. We may be the only cricket fans on the thread
                      Yes I'm a Scotsman who loves a bit of cricket....I think that makes me even more of a weirdo than being a Ripperologist!
                      My opinion is all I have to offer here,

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.

Comment

Yes I'm a Scotsman who loves a bit of cricket....I think that makes me even more of a weirdo than being a Ripperologist!
                        Although I boast no special prowess as a cricket player, I once played for the MCC. No, not that club... it was the Maryland Cricket Club. And when I went in to bat, I got bowled out on the first ball! To make it even worse, I was bowled out for a duck by an Irishman!
                        Last edited by ChrisGeorge; 01-23-2018, 05:29 AM.
                        Christopher T. George
                        Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                        just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                        For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                        RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Originally posted by Svensson View Post
                          The hoax that made the most waves at the time was the Hitler Diaries in 1982. At least, this is a diary that was definitely disproven.
                          Then there was that hoax of ten years later -- the Maybrick Diary, the alleged Ripper "diary" of Liverpool cotton merchant James Maybrick.

Happy 25th Birthday, Maybrick Hoax!

Last edited by ChrisGeorge; 01-23-2018, 05:30 AM.
                          Christopher T. George

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
                            Although I boast no special prowess as a cricket player, I once played for the MCC. No, not that club... it was the Maryland Cricket Club. And when I went in to bat, I got bowled out on the first ball! To make it even worse, I was bowled out for a duck by an Irishman!
                            Yup, that’s not good Chris
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
                              Then there was that hoax of ten years later -- the Maybrick Diary, the alleged Ripper "diary" of Liverpool cotton merchant James Maybrick.

Happy 25th Birthday, Maybrick Hoax!

Only in RipperWorld would a stake not have been driven long ago through the false and lying heart of this shoddy production!

Cheers

Chris
                              Last edited by ChrisGeorge; 01-23-2018, 11:07 AM.
                              Christopher T. George

Comment

Don't feel bad, I am an American who LOVES Aussie Rules Football....not only making me a weirdo, but possibly alone in my entire country haha

Steadmund Brand--- GO BRISBANE LIONS!!
                                "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Working...
                                X