Ripper by David L. Golemon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripper by David L. Golemon

Siiigh. I bought this today, and I thought it sounded like it could be interesting, even if Golemon is not supposed to be one of the best writers. It's a modern day thriller that ties into Jack the Ripper. Who, it turns out, was the result of a 19th-century genetic experiment. Yeah, I know. But I like the Preston and Child books, and they often have wild ideas.

Then I start the prologue, which is set in Mary Jane Kelly's flat. On the evening of November 8, 1888. It was interesting. Then I get to the part where he asks her if she's with child, and she tells them that she is.

Aaaargh! Then I go a little further and realize the book claims that each of the victims was pregnant -- up to about 3 months pregnant. That was how they all just happened to meet the same doctor. Really?! Where did this author do his research? Clearly not Casebook, unless he's trying to claim some major cover-up theory. With lots of hand-waving to explain how the other victims, who were all in their mid to late 40s, were able to get pregnant and keep a pregnancy long enough for a doctor to get involved.

I might read this book anyway, but it seems I might have to approach it like the characters on Mystery Science Theater 3000... At least most of it takes place in the present. Let's hope that part is better researched.

which is set in Mary Jane Kelly's flat

I really rolled on the floor at that. So squalid No 13 has now become a "flat"!! En-suite I suppose, with all mod cons?

I'm sure Polly and Annie would have been surprised (at their ages) to have found they were pregnant!!

WoW!!!

No doubt some of this will be brought up as definite theories by newbies in coming months. Hey-ho!

By the way, welcome to Casebook, Critteranne (I don't think our paths have crossed before). My humour and comments are not directed at you. Indeed, I'm grateful to have had a book I was unaware of brought to my attention. Enjoy your visits here.

Phil

Comment

Well he did call it a shabby flat.

You can read at least some of the prolgue by using the Look Inside feature, although that will be slow on some computers. I didb't get far after the pregnancies, so there might be more gems there...
      Look Inside link

I've been off and on, but after I came across the pregnant Mary Kelly, my first thought was... Must tell Casebook!

Edited to add: I can't post the actual Look Inside link. Darn.
      Last edited by Critteranne; 03-29-2013, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Hi Critteranne,

I don't think this is a book I'll be shelling out for, but thanks for the light-hearted review.
        I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

I've read 30 pages or so. In that novel, the Ripper is some kind of Incredible Hulk, created by a Mad Professor by injecting a poppy-based drug into no-goods, whom he abducted in good serial killer style. The professor was the model for Stevenson's novella 'Jekyll & Hyde'. Stevenson himself helps Abberline and some guy from Her Majesty's Black Watch to storm the professor's devilish greenhouse in the midst of Whitechapel. Of course the slightly scorched scoundrel escapes ... to show up in Mexico in WW I ...

Very action-movie-like.

Comment

That sounds like it could be a cool idea. I wish Preston and Child and written it.

I might try to forge ahead anyway. If I can turn off the "Ripper" part of my brain to watch a movie like From Hell, then surely I can do the same for a book.

Comment

Working...
            X