Mitre Square 3D TEST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitre Square 3D TEST

Okay folks, If you remember a while back I was talking about creating a 3D walk-thru of JtR locations.

I've put together a test walk-thru and before I go any further I wanted to make sure things work the way they should and that users (you lot) can actually get to see them.

So, I have constructed about HALF of Mitre Square and I'd like you to take a look and test it out.

Like I say, this is a test scene with some very basic design. Some buildings are okay, some are crap and a couple are not even there yet. There are lots of 'place holders' but for now I just want to see if it works.

Visit my website http://autumnofterror.com and go to the Scenes page. You will need to install the UNITY WebPlayer (simple - follow the instructions) OR if you are using Google Chrome Browser it should already be pre-installed.

Have a go and let me know if it works.

Remember This is a TEST scene - nowhere near finished.

thanks

Richard

Here's a screen shot:
    JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
    JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
    ---------------------------------------------------
    JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Regarding Google Chrome Browser. I just used a different PC and installed Google Chrome but when I came to launch the Mitre Square scene the Unity WebPlayer addon was not there and I had to add it. So ignore what I said about Google Chrome having the Unity Player pre-installed - it doesn't.

No matter. It took literally 24 seconds to install it and the 3D Mitre Square walk-Thru worked well for me.

Please havea go and let me know your thoughts.

ta

R

Comment

Hi Richard,

I use Google Chrome, but had to install the webplayer. It all works fine though: the scene is easy to move around through and it looks great - even though you still find some of the buildings crap! Well done & thanks for sharing!

All the best,
      Frank
      "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
      Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Comment

Thanks Frank.
        Tonight I'm working on the Horner & Sons building. I will upload an update tonight. Plan is to finish off the interior of the square and then move out on to Mitre street. Then I'll extend the scene so you can walk down Church and St. James Passage and beyond.

Suggestions/ideas/crits most welcome.

Comment

personally love it....very atmospheric.......look forward to the next bits !

Comment

Thank you Jason.
            It will be more atmospheric when I've done the lighting and light-mapping. Maybe put in a bit of mist/haze etc.

I have to be careful with the level of detail - not enough and it will look shite; too much and it will cause the user's PC to lag (stutter).

Comment

I've uploaded a basic Horner & Sons building (building as you come out of Church Passage) with the metal steps. The windows are generic and the brick work needs some work but it's getting there.

Comment

That's really fantastic Richard and a brilliant concept for a website. The site looks really good too

Giving people the opportunity to walk around the crime scenes in real time is excellent

It'll be great to have all the scenes in the future

The Unity program seems to work exceptionally well - IIRC Jake mentioned a possibility of importing his layouts into Unity or a similar progam

Great work Richard - keep it up

Comment

I don't think the stars are in the correct alignment.

Seriously, this is awesome! I've always been challenged trying to visualize the crime scenes and this really helps.

Cool symbol on your homepage. Does it mean anything?

Comment

Lux Aeterna

That's really great Richard...my one (very small) criticism would be that there's probably too much light...but that aside, very good indeed

All the best

Dave

Comment

Thank you all for the kind comments.

Nemo: Jake's work is exceptional and far and above my capabilities. His work is very high poly (very detailed) but I think most of his detail is contained within his textures which essentially make or break a model. My textures are very poor but as I progress I think my work will get visually better. I have used Jake's work as a basis for my interpretation of Mitre Square (I stood on his shoulders!) His work is indeed the bench mark.

Lighting: Yep I whole-heartedly agree the scene is not correctly lite but this is/was a test first and foremost. I wanted to make sure users could at least get in and walk about before I continued. The scene does look and feel much better in lower light and shadow.
                      I plan to add features so that you can toggle the light and weather as well as viewing the scenes from different vantage points (like looking out of the lite window opposite the murder site (I forget who lived there doh!))

Moreover, I plan to have building that can be walked into - like Miller's Court -not just No. 13 but Prater's etc.

I used the same map that Jake used when constructing Mitre Square. Not altogether sure how accurate it is but MY Mitre Square is pretty much spot on the map.

Again, I want to add features that will allow the user to toggle off/on the map and switch to a bird's eye view and/or fly over.

Having said all that I have to construct it all first and it's a slow process.

I do have Miller's Court 60 % done and I was going to include it in this test (the Mitre Square scene) but I think it's a bit too rough around the edges to share at the moment. Also the scene is a bit big - it encompasses most of Dorset street so I might reduce it to just 100 yards each side of Miller's Court entrance.

The Symbol/Logo on the website is all my own work which I'm dead impressed with (even if I do say so myself!) I was going to get a T-shirt printed haha! The symbol doesn't mean a think - it's just a design I settled on as I was faffing.

More soon

thanks again.
                      R

Comment

Hi Richard,

This looks stunning for a test scene. I look forward to seeing more.

regards, Bridewell.
                        I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

I doubt there's anybody in my position on this forum, although playing the percentages there could be, but I just thought I'd add that if you're on Linux there is no Unity player, that includes web versions. I've not tried it with Wine though. (Linux users will know what Wine is).
                          These are not clues, Fred.
                          It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
                          They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
                          And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
                          We will not.

Comment

Sorry about that Ozzy, I know Unity works with Mac & PC but you are right, Linux is not supported.

Tonight (Saturday) I have added a bit more detail and a few fixes. Some better windows in Horner's building and a some additions around the murder site.

More tomorrow...

Comment

Hey,

If you are looking for authenticity Richard, then I'd drop the 'Kearley & Tonge' signage.

It wasn't there in 1888.

Monty
                              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Working...
                              X