No announcement yet.

1888 Chamber of Horrors in Whitechapel and the London Hospital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes I'd say it's the same building. I'd say the staircase is gone by now, the arrangement you suggest is quite possible.

Regards

Observer

Comment

I wonder if any of the Ripper tours take this building in? It would certainly be worth it in my eyes. It's a very interesting building purely from a Ripper angle but to learn from a guide the stature of the men who entered that little door in Fulbourne Street would surely be an added bonus

Regards

Observer

Comment

The door is still there found this on youtube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Regards

Observer

Comment

test test
          " The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. "

Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Observer View Post
            I wonder if any of the Ripper tours take this building in? It would certainly be worth it in my eyes. It's a very interesting building purely from a Ripper angle but to learn from a guide the stature of the men who entered that little door in Fulbourne Street would surely be an added bonus

Regards

Observer
            I'd say it would be perfect for a Ripper tour, especially since it's so close to the Nichols murder. I'm still intrigued by the fact that Parisian murderer, Henri Pranzini was highlighted, and he killed his three women Ripper-style just the year before. And then the Nichols murder was on the same day as the first anniversary of the Pranzini guillotine execution.

Sincerely,
            Mike
            The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
            http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

Were Pranzini's crimes reported in the British press? Also I wonder if his model was on display in the wax works prior to the commencement of the Whitechapel murders?

Regards

Observer

Comment

Originally posted by Observer View Post
                Were Pranzini's crimes reported in the British press? Also I wonder if his model was on display in the wax works prior to the commencement of the Whitechapel murders?

Regards

Observer
                Hi Observer,
                Yes, the Police News had a huge display of Pranzini's victims on April 23, 1887. Also, the wax displays certainly began in early September:

There lay a horrible presentment in wax of Matilda Turner [Martha Tabram], the first victim, as well as one of Mary Ann Nichols, whose body was found in Buck’s Row. The heads were represented as being nearly severed from the bodies, and in each case there were shown, in red paint, three terrible gashes reaching from the abdomen to the ribs. (Worship Street Police Court Magistrate Montague Williams had is walkthrough in ‘early September 1888’)

Here’s an editorial from September 11, 1888:

I refer to several low penny shows at the corner of Thomas’s-street, Whitechapel-road, nearly facing the London Hospital. These sinks of iniquity are at the present time doing a roaring trade by exhibiting horrible pictures representing the poor victims who have been so brutally murdered of late. (Echo of 11 September 1888)

They ended up with a total of six victims displayed with pictures shown in the front window:

“One picture showed six women lying down injured and covered in blood, and with their clothes disturbed.” (Era, Feb 9, 1889)

They even had a wax display of the Ripper:

At the corner of Thomas-street was No. 106, Whitechapel-road, and next door was 107. ...A wax effigy of ‘Jack the Ripper’ was added to the exhibition. (The Times, Feb 6, 1889)

Sincerely,
                Mike

Comment

Also, by the spring of 1888, Tussauds on the West End had the Pranzini execution on display, so I'm sure this East End wax museum soon followed suit.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mklhawley View Post
                    Also, by the spring of 1888, Tussauds on the West End had the Pranzini execution on display, so I'm sure this East End wax museum soon followed suit.

Mike
                    Hi Mike,

Knowing how quickly Tussaud's kept their Chamber of Horrors up to date, they probably already had something up regarding Prado, the next major French murderer to follow Henri Pranzini (Prado was executed in December 1888 for the murder of some women - the story of his crimes and Pranzini are told in the second volume of Major Griffith's MYSTERIES OF THE POLICE AND CRIME (1901 edition).

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                      Hi Mike,

Knowing how quickly Tussaud's kept their Chamber of Horrors up to date, they probably already had something up regarding Prado, the next major French murderer to follow Henri Pranzini (Prado was executed in December 1888 for the murder of some women - the story of his crimes and Pranzini are told in the second volume of Major Griffith's MYSTERIES OF THE POLICE AND CRIME (1901 edition).

Jeff
                      Wow Jeff! I just read on Prado; another who killed a woman by cutting her throat. The Whitechapel museum did boast of having a complete presentment of the most renouned killers' executions. If the Whitechapel fiend did visit, he certainly had some great ideas.

Sincerely,
                      Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X