Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rippercast transcriptions

Hello everyone,

This is to introduce myself to the boards, and also to get a general feeling about an idea that I've had for a while.

Many podcasts that deal with more academic subject matter (such as Scriptnotes) tend to have transcriptions available, and I was wondering whether this was something people would like to have for the RipperCast podcast? (After all, you can't CTRL-F an MP3 file!)

As I'm sure you've guessed, I'm also volunteering to do this work. Having done transcription work in the past, I'd be happy to undertake it - and naturally I'd be happy to make this work freely distributable (preferably under the GNU Free Documentation License, unless anyone has any better ideas).

Obviously it would need agreement from the guests on each podcast (I will come back to that later), but for the moment I'm basically wanting to know whether this is something people feel would be a useful thing to have before I start undertaking it.

My intention is to provide transcriptions in straight text, PDF and OpenDocument format. Obviously, being GFDL I will not be profiting from this in any way (except, of course, providing me with a very good excuse to listen to all the podcasts again!).

Hi zippy,

You have my endorsement for this project. You may find it a challenge to receive every guest's approval since many do not frequently visit the boards. The show is "copyright Jonathan Menges" in iTunes, but I would ask that you also receive Admin's approval, and, if he supports it, maybe work something out in which the transcripts could be made available for direct, free download somewhere on the Casebook.

Thank you,

JM

Comment

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for that - that's very kind. I'd be inclined to suggest that as you own the copyright, you probably have the legal right to say how they are used, including transcription, but for my own peace of mind I'd rather have the approval.

Your idea of getting admin's approval and making them available for direct download on the casebook is an excellent one, and I think that's the way to go

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by zippy72 View Post
        I'd be inclined to suggest that as you own the copyright, you probably have the legal right to say how they are used, including transcription, but for my own peace of mind I'd rather have the approval.
        Although I may have the legal right to determine how the podcast is used, I still believe I'd only approve of this project with the blessing of Stephen Ryder, as he hosts the podcast server with his dime.

I'll reiterate, a bit more blunt, that it is a guaranteed impossibility to receive each episode participant's approval for a transcript to be made of an episode they appeared in, as some do not (cannot/will not/are no longer allowed to) participate on the boards, and some I am unwilling or unable to contact for such an approval. So your peace of mind in this aspect will never be satisfied.

This idea has been broached before, that's why I say if it's ok with Spry, it's ok with me, and you can proceed. If any participants reading this have any particular objection, please let me know. You know how to reach me.

If a podcast can be listened to, in my opinion it should be able to be read with no objections as long as the transcription is 100% accurate. I'd also request that you check the discussion threads associated with the episode for corrections made by the participants and include these in the transcript. Guest's corrections to their statements made on Rippercast have been posted to the boards from time to time.

Thanks

JM
        Last edited by jmenges; 01-04-2013, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X