Did he have anatomical knowledge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Etc

OT: Cajun food is distinct from Creole in its origins & ingredients. A great Cajun cookbook is the original 'Talk About Good.' There's no modern Creole cookbook, but Lafcadio Hearn's 'Creole Cookery' is a start but needs to be fitted to modern measurements.

I have been badgering my husband who's at work [& I'm sure his patients wouldn't be happy with interruptions so I only asked a few brief ones]but he started out as a surgical resident then switched to another area of medicine.

My questions to him were mostly could such & such a person do such & such a thing(s) under such & such conditions?

What's the English equivalent to a diener & did they exist then? Or a pathology assistant? Merci
    From Voltaire writing in Diderot's Encyclopédie:
    "One demands of modern historians more details, better ascertained facts, precise dates, , more attention to customs, laws, commerce, agriculture, population."

Comment

• In Whitechapel, there were no Mortuary Attendants (Diener). The only mortuary was attached to a Workhouse.
      Workhouse residents were expected, or requested, to attend to the corpse, but I think a nurse (attached to the workhouse?) actually washed the corpse down.
      Last edited by Wickerman; 06-25-2015, 04:12 PM.
      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
        In Whitechapel, there were no Mortuary Attendants (Diener). The only mortuary was attached to a Workhouse.
        Workhouse residents were expected, or requested, to attend to the corpse, but I think a nurse (attached to the workhouse?) actually washed the corpse down.
        Then it would be medical students assisting a pathologist? Sorry to be so ignorant.
        "One demands of modern historians more details, better ascertained facts, precise dates, , more attention to customs, laws, commerce, agriculture, population."

Comment

• If you are only talking about the Whitechapel murder victims, I fear nothing so grand. Take one example, Dr. Phillips had an assistant, Percy Clark.
          If Dr. Phillips required any assistance at the mortuary Mr. Clark would be the natural choice.
          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

If you are only talking about the Whitechapel murder victims, I fear nothing so grand. Take one example, Dr. Phillips had an assistant, Percy Clark.
            If Dr. Phillips required any assistance at the mortuary Mr. Clark would be the natural choice.

Many thanks for your help. I know so little, having read only a few books. I've gone through the suspects section, victims section, Whitehall mysteries, maps & photographs in an effort to come to a few considerations, which is why I asked my husband for his opinion. It makes my field clearer, since my brain can stall going from message board to message board. Most of you have been doing this for so long and have amassed a great deal of information. I'm just trying to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosemary View Post
              Many thanks for your help. I know so little, having read only a few books. I've gone through the suspects section, victims section, Whitehall mysteries, maps & photographs in an effort to come to a few considerations, which is why I asked my husband for his opinion. It makes my field clearer, since my brain can stall going from message board to message board. Most of you have been doing this for so long and have amassed a great deal of information. I'm just trying to sort the wheat from the chaff.
              So are we my dear, after all this time, so are we.
              Trust me, there is no end to this madness.

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosemary View Post
                I'm just trying to sort the wheat from the chaff.
                Bet you can't.
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

So are we my dear, after all this time, so are we.
                  Trust me, there is no end to this madness.

And I suspect some here truly are mad.
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

In Whitechapel, there were no Mortuary Attendants (Diener). The only mortuary was attached to a Workhouse.
                    But are we looking for a mortuary attendant who worked in Whitechapel? Or one who lived in Whitechapel and worked elsewhere, an adjacent neighborhood perhaps? Remember commuting was generally an upwards affair. Commuting to better neighborhoods with better jobs. Now it's more of a radial thing, from the edges to the center.
                    The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

• Multi-disciplinary approach

Originally posted by Errata View Post
                      But are we looking for a mortuary attendant who worked in Whitechapel? Or one who lived in Whitechapel and worked elsewhere, an adjacent neighborhood perhaps? Remember commuting was generally an upwards affair. Commuting to better neighborhoods with better jobs. Now it's more of a radial thing, from the edges to the center.
                      Forgive the ignorance, but has there ever been a multi-disciplinary look at the murders: cultural geographer whose field is spatial geography, the usual profilers, surgeons, historians, etc.?

Comment

• No doubt

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                        Bet you can't.
                        I won't. I haven't the years of experience, reading, knowledge of spatial geography, Victorian history, medical history, census records, written media, maps, boots on the ground. I'm just adrift in a cacophony of information, some of which is possibly true, quite probably true or just, qui sait.

I'm just an American ethno-historian of little to no repute wading through an historian's favorite pastime: un mystère. But I'll keep banging my head on doors, real or imagined. I'm stubborn like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Errata View Post
                          I understand the City had a permanent mortuary, but whether it had a permanent staff, I don't know.
                          I used to favour a mortuary attendant myself, many many years ago. In fact I wrote a speculatory piece entitled, The Doctor, the Deal and the Devil. I shamefully admit it was inspired by the Burke and Hare tragedy.
                          Last edited by Wickerman; 06-25-2015, 07:37 PM.
                          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Fast & loose

[QUOTE=Wickerman;344640]I understand the City had a permanent mortuary, but whether it had a permanent staff, I don't know.
                            I used to favour a mortuary attendant myself, many many years ago.[/

That was my husband's fast opinion: if not a surgeon, then a diener or pathologist's assistant.

Comment

• My Comsiderations, humbly

Originally posted by Errata View Post
                              A diener who lived in Whitechapel and worked elsewhere??

Comment

• Perhaps a pathologist who worked in Whitechapel and walked home late at night along Hanbury Street.
                                My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Working...
                                X