Jacob Levy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pierre

So as normal when it comes to research on the murders themselves and basic knowledge of such, there is a great deficiency.

None of the sources quoted are directly related to Levy and therefore are of little use.

In addition partial quotes are given. Here we have the quote from Macnaughten as:

"No one ever saw the Whitechapel murderer..."

That is from the Scotland yard version of the memoranda, the copy held on this site if my memory is correct.

However the Aberconway version says:

"No one ever saw the Whitechapel murderer (unless possibly it was the city P.C who was a beat[sec] near Mitre Square)"

That is basic knowledge on the subject, either this was not known, which demonstrates a very serious failing or it was intended to mislead!
    I assume the former.

There are no comments about Levy himself or possible motive- how surprising.

It is there if one bothers to look? But not in Skinner and Evans or on this site!

Obviously there has been No research on the man; despite the impression given at the start of post 105.

Post 105 then gives a list of points which are a repeat of what was said yesterday.

Such points do not provide evidence to exclude anyone!.

The final comments about "ghosts from 1888" are more of the views given yesterday.

As general points that there was a bias over these issues in 1888, I tend to agree.

However a view is taken in post 105 on those points, that we should not consider any person from those groups as a viable person of interest, because of said bias!

However to exclude on that basis:

Is not scientific!
    Is not based on research!
    Is not the work expected of an academic historian.

It demonstrates an incredible level of bias!

The so called research given in post 105 is from a copy of Skinner and Evans and possibly this site.

No other sources appear to have been even looked at- lazy in the extreme!

At least 5 minutes cut and paste- truly serious research.

The point proposed is that people should be excluded and rejected because of race and faith!

This is because of preconceived ideas held about the Identity of the killer.

Its a bit like the police in the "Yorkshire Ripper" case, discarding people who did not have a Newcastle accent, because they believed the tape recording sent to them.

Of course this allowed the real killer to carry on untroubled, even when he had been interviewed numerous times by the police.

That's the very approach demonstrated in post 105.

Steve
    Last edited by Elamarna; 05-07-2016, 11:47 AM. Reason: formating changes

Comment

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post
      Hi Steve,

Will do.

Joseph Hyam Levy gave the following descriptions for the person that you think might be Jacob Levy in the original inquest papers:

"...a man..." - "...about 3 inches taller than the woman...".
      (Evans & Skinner, p. 237-238).

Joseph Lawende said:

"...a man..." - "The man was taller than she was." - "The man had a cloth cap on with a cloth peak."

(ibid., p. 237).

Report by Swanson 19 October 1888:

"age 30 ht. 5 ft. 7 or 8 in. comp. fair, fair moustache, medium build, dress pepper & salt colour loose jacket, grey cloth cap with peak of same colour, reddish handkerchief tied in a knot, round neck, appearance of a sailor.

(according to "two men coming out of a club close by")

(ibid., p 138)

Report by Swanson 6 November 1888:

"Mr. Lamende states that he could not identify the man".

(ibid., p. 207)

Macnaghten 1894:

"No one ever saw the Whitechapel murderer..."

(ibid., p 347)

Problems:

There are no sources for Jacob Levy's hair color or skin complexion, so we do not know how he looked. Therefore we can not compare him to the sources above.

The witnesses do not know who the woman they described was, since she was standing with her back against them. Therefore we do not know if the woman was Eddowes.

The clothes worn by the woman they saw are described as black. Many women dressed in black, not just Eddowes. Therefore we can not know if the woman was Eddowes. It could have been any woman or any prostitute.

Therefore it is impossible to say if the man was the killer of Eddowes. He could have been any man talking to any woman or any man talking to any prostitute.

Macnaghten can not be referring to the man seen together with a woman on the night of the double event, since that man was seen.

There are no sources connecting Jacob Levy to any of the murders. There are no witness statements describing him, no communications pointing towards him, no confession made by him.

A part of the English populations was living in Whitechapel 1888. Living in Whitechapel 1888 is no indication of being a serial killer called Jack the Ripper.

A part of the population in Whitechapel consisted of jews. Being a jew in Whitechapel 1888 is no indication of being a serial killer called Jack the Ripper.

A part of the population in Whitechapel 1888 consisted of butchers. Being a butcher in Whitehapel 1888 is no indication of being a serial killer called Jack the Ripper.

A part of the population in Whitechapel 1888 was defined as lunatics/maniacs and a part of the population was institutionalized in asylums. Being in an asylum in 1888 is no indication of being a serial killer called Jack the Ripper.

A part of the population in Whitechapel/England/the world had syphilis 1888. Having syphilis in Whitechapel 1888 is no indication of being a serial killer called Jack the Ripper.

Other problems:

The 1888 antisemitism gave people a reason for suspecting jews for having committed the serial murders.

The 1888 idea of "anatomical knowledge" needed to perform the mutilations gave reason for suspecting butchers for having committed the serial murders.

The 1888 belief that the murderer was "insane"/"a lunatic"/"mad" and so on and so forth gave reason for suspecting people in asylums.

These ideas are now the ghosts from 1888, dictating our thinking and making people believe in ghosts, although it is obvious that there are no historical reasons for doing so, when we analyse the original sources high up in the source hierarchy from 1888.

Kind regards, Pierre
      Holy crap that made sense. A little rigid for the discussion at hand, but it was cogent. I'm a little impressed.
      The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by Errata View Post
        Holy crap that made sense. A little rigid for the discussion at hand, but it was cogent. I'm a little impressed.
        Errata,
        I am a little surprised at that.

yes part of the post is fairly good, thats the impression which is trying to be created.

The points about someone not being JtR because they are part of a group is indeed very true. .
        However the problem I see, is the extension of the idea to say that we discard people from certain groups because of perceived bias in 1888.

That is a very dangerous course to follow.

There is No research demonstrated on Levy at all.
        Which after all is the point of the thread.

And the quote from Macnaughten is inaccurate.

steve

Comment

• Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
          Errata,

yes part of the post is fairly good, thats the impression which is trying to be created.

The points about someone not being JtR because they are part of a group is indeed very true. .
          However the problem I see, is the extension of the idea to say that we discard people from certain groups because of perceived bias in 1888.

steve
          Hi Steve,

Do not make reductions in absurdum. The point is not that we should exclude certain groups per definition.

The point is that certain groups are overrepresented in ripperology and therefore should be subjected to criticism and analyse.

For example, we could ask:

What are the hypothetical patterns in theories about Jack the Ripper The Lunatic? What do they have in common? What sort of sources are these theories drawn upon?

What are the hypothetical lines in theories about Jack the Ripper The Jew? What are the basic assumptions? What sort of ideas prevail in these theories?

What are the foundations for theories about Jack the Ripper The Butcher? What sort of explanations are constructed in these theories?

What are the foundations for theories about Jack the Ripper The Local Guy? What sort of explanations are constructed in such theories?

So we could start to look at those aspects - or go directly to the sources to try and disprove the theories. Whatever you prefer.

Ripperology is full of ideal types. When we deconstruct them, we learn a lot about our own bias and about how theories about this particular serial killer are constructed.

Regards, Pierre

Comment

Errata,

steve
            I personally don't make the extension to exclude people, maybe I should, but I just didn't see it that way.

Comment

Hi Steve,

Do not make reductions in absurdum. The point is not that we should exclude certain groups per definition.

The point is that certain groups are overrepresented in ripperology and therefore should be subjected to criticism and analyse.

For example, we could ask:

What are the hypothetical patterns in theories about Jack the Ripper The Lunatic? What do they have in common? What sort of sources are these theories drawn upon?

What are the hypothetical lines in theories about Jack the Ripper The Jew? What are the basic assumptions? What sort of ideas prevail in these theories?

What are the foundations for theories about Jack the Ripper The Butcher? What sort of explanations are constructed in these theories?

What are the foundations for theories about Jack the Ripper The Local Guy? What sort of explanations are constructed in such theories?

So we could start to look at those aspects - or go directly to the sources to try and disprove the theories. Whatever you prefer.

Ripperology is full of ideal types. When we deconstruct them, we learn a lot about our own bias and about how theories about this particular serial killer are constructed.

Regards, Pierre

Pierre

There was no attempt to use "Reductio ad absurdum" in my argument,

Such a claim is indeed absurd.

The post # 94

"If he was Jack the Ripper we would have known it."

Is the closest I have seen to such an argument on this thread.

This discussion began, because of the remark

"The 1888 serial killer view = The 1888 serial killer jew."

That statement gives the impression that indeed the post did exclude certain groups per definition.
              Further to that it gives the impression that person under discussion was not being subjected to any criticism and analyse.

The issue was and is not, was Levy a butcher, a lunatic of a Jew, but is he a person of interest in the case.

The only way of doing that is to look at the sources relating to him.
              This obviously requires a considerably time if one is to do it correctly.

I do not see any indication this has been done in posts 85,87,89, 91,94, 96,105 or 109.

steve

Comment

• Originally posted by Errata View Post
                I personally don't make the extension to exclude people, maybe I should, but I just didn't see it that way.

Dear Errata,

did you read the posts below ?

post 84

post 87

"No, Steve. It is the incredible degree of bias of 1888. Aaron Kosminski, David Cohen, Joseph Isaacs, Michael Ostrog (described as a Polish Jew), Jacob Levy and all the rest."

That seems obvious that people are being excluded because of a group they belong to.

If you don't see that fair enough, but it is clear to me.

cheers

Steve

Comment

Pierre

There was no attempt to use "Reductio ad absurdum" in my argument,

Such a claim is indeed absurd.

The post # 94

"If he was Jack the Ripper we would have known it."

Is the closest I have seen to such an argument on this thread.

This discussion began, because of the remark

That statement gives the impression that indeed the post did exclude certain groups per definition.
                  Further to that it gives the impression that person under discussion was not being subjected to any criticism and analyse.

The issue was and is not, was Levy a butcher, a lunatic of a Jew, but is he a person of interest in the case.

The only way of doing that is to look at the sources relating to him.
                  This obviously requires a considerably time if one is to do it correctly.

I do not see any indication this has been done in posts 85,87,89, 91,94, 96,105 or 109.

steve
                  Hi Steve,

You just contradict me for the sake of contradiction now.

And you make lists of old posts.

Also, the use of strong words like "absurd" is redundant.

Of course we would have known if the poor sod Jacob Levy was Jack the Ripper, since he was ill and had nothing to defend himself against the police, would they have investigated him.

But they did not, or they did and found nothing, so he was not Jack the Ripper.

Regards, Pierre

Comment

Dear Errata,

did you read the posts below ?

post 84

post 87

"No, Steve. It is the incredible degree of bias of 1888. Aaron Kosminski, David Cohen, Joseph Isaacs, Michael Ostrog (described as a Polish Jew), Jacob Levy and all the rest."

That seems obvious that people are being excluded because of a group they belong to.

If you don't see that fair enough, but it is clear to me.

cheers

Steve
                    Now you are trying to change the view of Errata. Let people use their own brains, Steve.

And again you misinterpret me - even though I have told you what I meant with my discussion about ideal types.

Your misinterpretations do not become true just because you repeat them.

Regards, Pierre

Comment

Now you are trying to change the view of Errata. Let people use their own brains, Steve.

And again you misinterpret me - even though I have told you what I meant with my discussion about ideal types.

Your misinterpretations do not become true just because you repeat them.

Regards, Pierre
                      Pierre

I merely asked Errata if they have read those post I quoted.

Errata will certainly not be swayed by my post if they had already read all the posts and reached the view posted having done that.

Is it now wrong to attempt to persuade others of a view?

If one quotes the words posted, how is that misrepresenting?

indeed I finish the post by saying if that is their view so be it.

steve
                      Last edited by Elamarna; 05-07-2016, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Hi Steve,

You just contradict me for the sake of contradiction now.

And you make lists of old posts.

Also, the use of strong words like "absurd" is redundant.

Of course we would have known if the poor sod Jacob Levy was Jack the Ripper, since he was ill and had nothing to defend himself against the police, would they have investigated him.

But they did not, or they did and found nothing, so he was not Jack the Ripper.

Regards, Pierre
                        pierre

I have not contradicted the post for the sake of it, but because the post is wrong .

There is nothing wrong in listing the post numbers of posts which do not answer the questions asked. it makes it easy for others to check the points.

There is no attempted to address the points raised in post 111 or post 106

The fact the police appear not to have investigated does not preclude Levy from being the Killer.

Show analysis of the subject (Levy), based on the sources available has been carried out and make an argument based on that.

So far all that as been provided is an inaccurate quote, and details which not specific to Levy.

Steve

Comment

• At the end of the day if Jacob was jtr it wasn't caused by him being a Jew it was more the fact that being a Jew would have helped him blend into an area that was highly populated by Jews.
                          It's not about what you know....it's about what you can find out

Comment

• Originally posted by tji View Post
                            At the end of the day if Jacob was jtr it wasn't caused by him being a Jew it was more the fact that being a Jew would have helped him blend into an area that was highly populated by Jews.
                            Hi

No arguments from me on that.

steve

Comment

• I'd like to make it clear that I don't believe Jacob Levy was Jack the Ripper however I'm not sure how anyone can say with 100% certainty that Jacob Levy wasn't Jack the Ripper because he was Jewish. Jack could have been of almost any faith.

Comment

• It's not that there aren't conditions that could rule out someone as the Ripper. A paraplegic for example could not have done it. But barring something that extreme, conditions only reduce the odds. They don't rule out anything. And of course, people defy the odds every day. So even a good mathematical case for something is only good in theory. The reality may be much different.

Comment

Working...
                                X