Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sporting Heroes

Hello all,

I rec'd a lovelx email after writing about Emil Zatopek on the Olympics thread, suggesting more of the same. After a little thought, I decided that a thread with everyone giving their sporting heroes and perhaps a reason why in each case. To start the ball rolling, here are mine-

Emil Zatopek- because no one will ever near his level of brilliance over 5km, 10km and the Marathon in one Olympic Games. A true gentleman too

Sebastian Coe- met him in the early hours of the morning shortly after he smashed a World Record, in Oslo, in the early 80's. The man could hardly walk but spent 10mims talkng to me, laughing and joking about the state of his legs and Norwegian beer.

Joe and Fred Davis- two billiards and snooker players,multi world champions both. Jod won the world snooker title 17 years in a row.
    Had the honour of playing Fred Davis in 1974 in Teddington. He gave me tips during that game only a professional would know about. He beat me out of sight and I loved every minute of it. A really lovely man.

Pat Pocock-cricketer-presented me with my first club cricket award in 1976- and sat me down and gave sound advice about my bowling. I felt so honoured.

Peter Osgood- Chelsea's legendary footballer. My goalscoring hero as a kid, met him privately a year before he died and spent an evening talking with the great man.

Henry Cooper-boxing legend, a really nice man who always had time for anyone wanting a word.
    Met him briefly outside Teddington TV studios.

A cricketer known as 'The Croucher' who could probably break records even today. He hit cricket balls further, more often and harder than nearly all. Look up 'The Croucher' on google- his batting was phenominal. At the same time, look up Harold Gimble
    t, another cricketing genius.

Roger Taylor- Tennis- before Mottram, Rusedski, Henman and Murray- THE greatest British Tennis player who never won Wimbledon but was the epitomy of a trier.

Bjørn Borg- Tennis. Watching him play McEnroe in the 1980 Wimbledon final was a joy. A sheer joy. Of recent date, Roger Federer compares, Mr cool
    George Best- a true footballing genius. How he performed the way he did whilst under the influence of drink amazes me to this day. Saw him live, waltz around players when he played for Man Utd and Fulham. Incredible balance.

Pele. The best. Over 1000 goals- a genius supreme.

And because they are heroes to me even today, three Chelsea footballers of a modern era- Frank Lampard, Gianfranco Zola and Didier Drogba.
    Lampard because he onlx needs 17 more goals to be Chelsea's greatest goalscorer ever- and for a midfield player that is phenominal- despite 43 of his 186 goals coming from penalty kicks- Zola because he did things with such grace and sublety- and genius- and Drogba for always scoring when Chelsea needed it most- in Cup finals- he stepped up in a cauldron of dislike on 19th May 20.2 and gave Chelsea supporters the reality of a lifetime's dreams- the Champions League trophy.

everyone has heroes. I admire all heroes others have, and with only a few exceptions, respect them. (Diego Maradonna for example)
    so add your own and why- it isnt a thread fnr critisising other peoples choices- its a thread to share admiration.

Best wishes

Phil
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

Oh, I have quite a few I suppose. Here's one : Cloughie. Won the league championship twice, both times with small clubs. Won the European Cup twice. Plus a few League Cups as loose change.

On second thoughts I'll add a second : Boycott. May not be everyone's cup of tea but, as the old saying goes, if someone was batting for your life, you'd want it to be him.

Comment

I played about every sport that was available growing up... still try anything that I can find. Football (American and World), tennis, rugby, hockey (ice), running, hurdling, wrestling, table tennis, fencing....the list goes on. Anyway, I never had a hero. I always thought of the best athletes as just regular people who show us that anyone can do anything if they put a little work into it. Never had any heroes in the sports realm, though I admired the abilities of some.

Mike
      huh?

Comment

"Someday find my son ... tell him about how things can be between men on this Earth."
        Words from one friend to another; Luz Long to Jesse Owens while a soldier in the second world war. Long was suppose to win the long jump in 1936 at the Berlin Games, and after Owens scratched on the first two attempts, victory seemed to be his. The story goes that the German Luz came to Owens and said that he is jumping too late; jump from where he marks, which Owens is suppose to have done, and wins the gold medal. That is said to be a myth, but what is not a myth is that the pride of Germany, that had just lost to a Black man, cheered, hugged, and celebrated with that same Black man in front of Hitler. Luz would die fighting in 1943, and Owens would find his son, and tell him the story that some call a myth.
        Jim Thorpe-EVERYTHING-The pentathlon and the decathlon gold medal winner in 1912, pro (American)football player, and first president of the NFL, pro basketball, pro baseball, and the only man to do the most amazing feat; in a single game of baseball he hit 3 home runs, each ball landing in a different state.He hit his first homer over the leftfield wall with the ball landing in Oklahoma, his second homer over the rightfield wall into Arkansas and his third homer of the game was an inside-the-park home run in centerfield, which was in Texas.
        I confess that altruistic and cynically selfish talk seem to me about equally unreal. With all humility, I think 'whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might,' infinitely more important than the vain attempt to love one's neighbour as one's self. If you want to hit a bird on the wing you must have all your will in focus, you must not be thinking about yourself, and equally, you must not be thinking about your neighbour; you must be living with your eye on that bird. Every achievement is a bird on the wing.
        Oliver Wendell Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X