Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uganda

Hi folks,

A friend of mine went to Uganda recently to begin working with an orphanage. Many children are orphaned or otherwise deserted owing to the effects of war and disease.

Anyway, he made this video ...

click here

... and asked me to circulate it, and this was the best way I could think of doing that. It's hard-hitting, so be warned.

Regards,

Mark

Thank you Mark, for bringing this to out attention. It is shocking, and it makes me feel ashamed to moan about trivial things that bother me.

Comment

Ideas For Ways To Help

Thank you Mark. Please thank your friend for us.

I agree with you Julie.

There is also an outbreak of the terrifying disease Ebola in Uganda now- as if those poor people haven't suffered enough!

If anyone is looking for an opportunity to help, there are many ways to do so through a charitable agency called World Vision. (Of course, there are other agencies too, such as the Red Cross, but I have years of personal experience sponsoring children through World Vision and know what good work they do. Their overhead is very small & they have excellent transparency.)

One of my sponsored children, Annette, lives in Uganda. She is one of the lucky ones, because she was eventually adopted by a relative.

You can sponsor a child for about $1 a day. This gets them food, school uniform & school supplies... so little does so much!

You can also help buy goats, chickens, and other farm animals to produce food for the family & food for market, help purify the water, build a new well, buy school supplies, musical instruments or soccer balls, get a child out of sex slavery- the opportunities to help are endless.

World Vision- Ways To Help: http://donate.worldvision.org/OA_HTM...zpHome.jsp?a=b

Best regards,
      Archaic

Comment

60 Minutes aired a program this week and gave the terrifying statistic that one out of every four children in the state of Florida is homeless, and that Florida accounts for 25% of all the homeless children in the U.S.A. Just mentioning this for any American board members concerned about homeless children.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
          60 Minutes aired a program this week and gave the terrifying statistic that one out of every four children in the state of Florida is homeless, and that Florida accounts for 25% of all the homeless children in the U.S.A.
          1 in 4? Are you sure, Tom? How is that possible? Florida must have HUD housing programs for low-income families.

I'm going to look into this; thanks for mentioning it.

Best regards,
          Archaic

Comment

Tom, I looked it up and the figures I saw are that 1 in 4 children in Florida live below the poverty line, and about 10% are homeless. Those are terrible statistics, but not as bad as a 25% homeless rate.

Best regards,
            Archaic

Comment

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
              1 in 4? Are you sure, Tom? How is that possible? Florida must have HUD housing programs for low-income families.

Best regards,
              Archaic
              I don't know , Bunny, but I know people who went to Miami and came babk not marked by the Art Deco area, nor the Epcott thingy -but rather the number of shanty towns -which you wouldn't see in France (although it exists near the tunnel -hidden in woods), nor in England.
              http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Originally posted by Archaic View Post

Best regards,
                Archaic
                I don't know , Bunny, but I know people who went to Miami and came back not marked by the Art Deco area, nor the Epcott thingy -but rather the number of shanty towns -which you wouldn't see in France (although it exists near the tunnel -hidden in woods), nor in England.
                http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Working...
                X