Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a quick message to say hi to everyone (and thanks for approving admin).

I've been interested in all things to do with JTR for as long as i care to remember - however i've never got around to any of the numerous books.

I have a couple of questions for you longer term members!

1) Can you recommend a good starting book for learning more about JTR
    2) How many different ripper tours are there? Or is it just one?

Many thanks,
    Marc

Hi Evertonmarc and welcome to the boards...as good all-round beginners books (both very readable too) I think either Philip Sugden's "Complete History of Jack the Ripper or Paul Begg's "Jack the Ripper, The Facts"...

As regards the walking tours there are a number, some good, some not so good...you won't go wrong with this one though :-

http://www.jack-the-ripper-tour.com/

All the best

Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave, much appreciated.

Need to get some reading material for when we go on holiday next, so will start collecting i think!

The thing i find so fascinating about the whole JTR case, is at first glance (without delving into the details of course), there are so many potential suspects!
      Trying to get the wife interested in the history - she's actually never been to London (even though we are fairly close) so am planning on a tour and maybe the wax museum if the JTR exibition is still going.

Marc

Comment

Hi Marc

Spouses are notoriously difficult to convince...my own of umpetty-ump years used to have something of an interest in the case, to the extent we'd buy each other JtR books as Christmas/Birthday presents, and discuss their relative merits (what luck I had!)...

Now she's 64 and I'm 58...her interest in the case has apparently altogether evaporated, whilst my own has intensified...but what the heck...over the years whilst we've been otherwise bifurcating, we have, nonetheless, developed that most important marital trait of all...mutual tolerance...or is it indifference?

All the best

Dave

Comment

welcome

Hello Everton. Welcome to the boards.

A good start may be Professor Sugden's "Complete History." It is well written and emphasises separating fact from legend.

When you are ready, you may also get a good copy of Evans and Skinner's "Ultimate Companion." This is indispensable for the serious student.

Happy hunting.

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

Despite the fact I'm always up for a good argument (!) on this particular issue I wouldn't dream of disagreeing with Mr Cates!

All the best

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
              over the years whilst we've been otherwise bifurcating, we have, nonetheless, developed that most important marital trait of all...mutual tolerance...or is it indifference?
              Hear, hear, Dave.

When it gets to the point that merely acknowledging each other's existence every now and then is taken as a form of flattery, you realize that it is going to really be 'until death do we part.'
              Best Wishes,
              Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

beyond indifference

Hi Cris

Thanks mate...you just, single-handedly, convinced me I wouldn't be better off emigrating....

bastard....

Dave

Comment

Working...
                X