my views

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

promise

Hello Corey. Rest assured I will post any findings of note.

The best.
    LC

Comment

i know im probally bugging you to death but do you know where i can view the text of the diarys??
      Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

library

Hello Corey. They are available ONLY at this particular library.

The best.
        LC

Comment

thank you

again

yours truly
          Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
            Hello Corey.

"the writer mentions that I shall clip the lady's ears off
            is e[e]rily reminis[c]ent [of] how the ripper clip[p]ed Eddowes['] ear off"

Possibly, but her ear was found in her garments. Now it is generally thought to be collateral damage.

The best.
            LC
            To Corey,

I wouldn't be put off by what Lynn says here. If we stop thinking for ourselves and go by what is 'generally' thought each time, we'd have been right down there with the flat earth believers.

Regardless of how Kate's ear came to be sliced through, it is an odd coincidence to say the least, considering that the killer of Polly and Annie had ventured nowhere near their ears with his knife, and for all a hoaxer could have known, he never would. There was no guarantee he would even kill again, never mind soon, and many serial killers since have left much longer gaps between murders. Yet within a few short hours of the police reading that letter for the first time, the Whitechapel Murderer was out there, supposedly in blissful ignorance of the fact that he was living up to the name and the 'just for jolly' prediction that some unknown stranger had just dreamed up for him, the latter having no actual expectation of any of it coming true - let alone so quickly. A dream team working perfectly in unison, except that neither knew about each other's moves. I do find that hard to get my head round.

And there is no doubt in my mind that all the slashes made above the neck were 'just for jolly' ie for the sheer hell of it. If so, the ear was 'collateral damage' to what exactly?

Love,

Caz
            X
            "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

speculation

indeed it is odd that the letter and the murder dates were so close and how that particular murder by jack was the one which he 'clipped the ear off'.even if the letter proves to be a hoax it is very good luck on the authors behalf on that part.but as to believeing what everyone else thought is just jumping on the bandwagon,which isnt very professional.the facts are more important than belive what people told you.

yours truly
              Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Hi Corey,

The police deemed the "Dear Boss" letter important enough to reproduce in newspapers and postbills of the time, hoping someone would recognize the handwriting.

In 1995 the Unabomber sent in a "Manifesto" which was published by the NY Times and Washington Post. The man's brother read it, recognized it for what it was, and went to police with the tip that broke the case.

Ted Kacynski in custody
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Unabomber_free_image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	658106
                Sink the Bismark

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
                  Regardless of how Kate's ear came to be sliced through, it is an odd coincidence to say the least, considering that the killer of Polly and Annie had ventured nowhere near their ears with his knife, and for all a hoaxer could have known, he never would. There was no guarantee he would even kill again, never mind soon, and many serial killers since have left much longer gaps between murders.
                  Yet within a few short hours of the police reading that letter for the first time, the Whitechapel Murderer was out there, supposedly in blissful ignorance of the fact that he was living up to the name and the 'just for jolly' prediction that some unknown stranger had just dreamed up for him, the latter having no actual expectation of any of it coming true - let alone so quickly. A dream team working perfectly in unison, except that neither knew about each other's moves. I do find that hard to get my head round.
                  Hi, everyone. And yes, Caz; I agree with you; it doesn't look like coincidence to me.

Nor do I think the fact that Kate's severed ear fell into her clothing rather than ending up in the killer's pocket is any reason to discount the letter. The killer said he would cut the victim's ear off and he did.

The ear was probably cut at the beginning of his slash-fest, fell into Kate's garments, and was lost amidst all the gore until it fell out later when the authorities shifted the corpse. I really can't visualize the Ripper stopping in the midst of his rapid evisceration to look for a stray ear in the dark; can anyone else?

I think that the killer "made up" for not sending the ear by sending half a kidney instead.

Best regards, Archaic

PS: Hey, Roy, I wonder if Ted Kaczynski received the first "Extreme Makeover"? I hardly recognize him like that.
                  How ironic that they dressed him like a nice college professor.

Comment

Misleading

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
                    ...Nor do I think the fact that Kate's severed ear fell into her clothing rather than ending up in the killer's pocket is any reason to discount the letter. The killer said he would cut the victim's ear off and he did...
                    The ear was probably cut at the beginning of his slash-fest, fell into Kate's garments, and was lost amidst all the gore until it fell out later when the authorities shifted the corpse. I really can't visualize the Ripper stopping in the midst of his rapid evisceration to look for a stray ear in the dark; can anyone else?
                    I think that the killer "made up" for not sending the ear by sending half a kidney instead.
                    Best regards, Archaic...
                    This is a very misleading post. The killer did not sever the ear. To use Dr. F. Gordon Brown's words, "The lobe and the auricle of the right ear was cut obliquely through", and, at the mortuary, "The clothes were taken off carefully from the body, a piece of deceased's ear dropped from the clothing."

The sketch of the facial wounds is marked , "lobe of ear detached" -

Click image for larger version

Name:	cerightear.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	658107

This, of course, makes it more in the nature of a random slash rather than an attempt to sever the whole ear.
                    SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

Plus it is worth pointing out that amongst the limited and contradictory sources we are left with, the 'Dear Boss' letter -- being judged a journalistic hoax -- is the one thing that Anderson, Macnaghten, and Littlechild [and Sims] agreed upon, and those three top policemen seemed to have agreed on little else.

And Littlechild, in private, went even further than Anderson and Macnaghten did in their memoirs, by actually naming the reporters [Bulling and Moore] whom he thought had probably concocted the 'Jack the Ripper' moniker.

Comment

concurrence

Hello Jonathan. Excellent point.

The best.
                        LC

Comment

Originally posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
                          This is a very misleading post. The killer did not sever the ear. To use Dr. F. Gordon Brown's words, "The lobe and the auricle of the right ear was cut obliquely through", and, at the mortuary, "The clothes were taken off carefully from the body, a piece of deceased's ear dropped from the clothing."

The sketch of the facial wounds is marked , "lobe of ear detached" -

[ATTACH]7190[/ATTACH]

This, of course, makes it more in the nature of a random slash rather than an attempt to sever the whole ear.
                          Hello Stewart,

Since the killer had "drawn" the intestines out "to a large extent" and placed them across her right shoulder, its likely he would have held his knife while he did so.

I wonder if the right lobe was accidentally cut off during that action, due to his awkward hold on the knife at that moment? Sam Flynn has done a very good analysis of the facial wounds and suggests I believe that the lobe might be collateral damage from those actions.

My best regards SPE

Comment

Incorrect

Originally posted by Jonathan H View Post
                            And Littlechild, in private, went even further than Anderson and Macnaghten did in their memoirs, by actually naming the reporters [Bulling and Moore] whom he thought had probably concocted the 'Jack the Ripper' moniker.
                            This statement is incorrect Jonathan. What Littlechild actually stated was, "With regard to the term 'Jack the Ripper' it was generally believed at the Yard that Tom Bullen [sic - Bulling] of the Central News was the originator...", which is a totally different thing to "...whom he thought had probably concocted the 'Jack the Ripper' moniker." Accuracy, please, at all times.
                            SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

To Stewart

Apologies for clumsy wording. What you wrote is what I thought I HAD written. I did not mean to suggest it was just Littlechild's theory, just that he was the ONLY ONE to actually name the reporters.

Comment

Handwriting

I have compared the handwriting of Bulling and That of the 'dear boss','saucy jacky', and oct,6th 88 letters and have found a conclusion.

The handwriting matches in alot of spots, which makes me think and revise my other opinion which is that Bulling may have actually wrote the letters.

yours truly
                                Attached Files
                                Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Working...
                                X