How Cutbush outwitted his pursuers in 1891

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Natalie Severn View Post
    On the other hand Chris,we dont actually know when the incident was reported in the press---or even when reporters got hold of such a story.
    Well, as you say, such stories were quite common in the Autumn of 1888, which makes it very unlikely that it would have been considered newsworthy enough to print weeks after it happened.

But the point is that we don't actually know it was reported in "the papers" at all, as the Sun claims. The fact that no one has seen any of these alleged reports, despite all the research that has been done in newspapers, only deepens my scepticism about the story.

Comment

Fair comments Chris,
      Norma

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
        Well, as you say, such stories were quite common in the Autumn of 1888, which makes it very unlikely that it would have been considered newsworthy enough to print weeks after it happened.

But the point is that we don't actually know it was reported in "the papers" at all, as the Sun claims. The fact that no one has seen any of these alleged reports, despite all the research that has been done in newspapers, only deepens my scepticism about the story.
        That implies every edition of every newspaper survives in the archives, which is demonstratably untrue.

I think any reports of Jack would have been newsworthy at anytime during the panic, no matter how old. It all depends what the editor decides to print from the vast selection. It would no doubt be considered news worthy by one paper, trying to find a unique story, though I agree there would be enough other unique stories to prevent it being widely covered. Which is probably why it hasn't been found.

The only thing I find strange is the witness claim to call him Jack the Ripper in Mid September! Though she might have used a different term and journalistic license is being deployed.

Its absurd to think we'll ever find documented or other proof of the case a century later, all we'll be able to amass is circumstantial evidence. And at the moment in those terms the scales are weighed heavily in favour of Cutbush.
        Last edited by Vigilantee; 12-03-2008, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vigilantee View Post
          The only thing I find strange is the witness claim to call him Jack the Ripper in Mid September! Though she might have used a different term and journalistic license is being deployed.
          It's not so much that that worries me, as the fact that the reports are said to have been headed "Another Jack the Ripper Scare".

I'm not saying that it's impossible that these reports exist, and have eluded researchers - though typically stories like this spread like wildfire from paper to paper - but in combination with the anachronistic heading the fact that they haven't been found sets off loud alarm bells.

Comment

Worth repeating the description given by Thomas Bowyer of the man he saw talking to Kelly in Miller's Court the Wednesday before her murder:
            'a man of 27 or 28 with a dark moustache and very peculiar eyes.'
            A little bit of THC?

Comment

And these lunatics liked their syndicates.
              William Brodie in August 1889:

"There he is; he is one of the syndicate who are going to carry me about in a cage and exhibit me as the man who committed all the East-end murders."

Comment

Originally posted by Cap'n Jack View Post
                Worth repeating the description given by Thomas Bowyer of the man he saw talking to Kelly in Miller's Court the Wednesday before her murder:
                'a man of 27 or 28 with a dark moustache and very peculiar eyes.'
                A little bit of THC?
                Exactly...

Comment

Working...
                X