Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - by GUT 3 hours ago.
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - by Wolf Vanderlinden 5 hours ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Centenaries - whole and half - by Mayerling 5 hours ago.
Scene of the Crimes: East End Walk - by barnflatwyngarde 5 hours ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by NickB 5 hours ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Centenaries - whole and half - by Qlder 6 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (6 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Centenaries - whole and half - (2 posts)
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - (2 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: East End Walk - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Letters and Communications > General Letters or Communications

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-10-2014, 08:17 AM
Patrick S Patrick S is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 976
Default Letters to Police

I don't think the 'Dear Boss' letter was written by the killer. As well, I doubt ANY of the correspondence received by police, Lusk, etc. was written by the killer.

Of course, we cannot know anything for certain at this point. This is simply my personal feeling. In my personal composite of the killer, he was just that: a killer. Everything else was extraneous, ancillary, even unncecessary. Killing was the thing. It was not a game. It was not something to be advertised or boasted about. It was his passion, compulsion, obsession. His focus was on what he was about, what he HAD to do. Therefore, I don't think he would have put pen to paper, contacted anyone, boasted, recorded in a diary or journal. Hoaxes all.

I believe he was a social imbecile. I believe he posessed some amount of intelligence that was not apparent due to his social awkwardness and strange personal manner. I also believe that witnesses who saw victims speaking and laughing with a man before their murders did not see the killer. I sense the killer was man of few words, very shy, someone his victims actually felt they had to draw out, or even for whom they may have felt some amount of pity. Shy. Awkward. Quite. Wouldn't hurt a fly. Until he cut their throats, that is. I believe the killer's name is foreign to us, unknown. He lived quietly, unnoticed. He died, silenly, mourned by few, missed by none.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-10-2014, 02:50 PM
pinkmoon pinkmoon is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: north west of england
Posts: 1,791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
I don't think the 'Dear Boss' letter was written by the killer. As well, I doubt ANY of the correspondence received by police, Lusk, etc. was written by the killer.

Of course, we cannot know anything for certain at this point. This is simply my personal feeling. In my personal composite of the killer, he was just that: a killer. Everything else was extraneous, ancillary, even unncecessary. Killing was the thing. It was not a game. It was not something to be advertised or boasted about. It was his passion, compulsion, obsession. His focus was on what he was about, what he HAD to do. Therefore, I don't think he would have put pen to paper, contacted anyone, boasted, recorded in a diary or journal. Hoaxes all.

I believe he was a social imbecile. I believe he posessed some amount of intelligence that was not apparent due to his social awkwardness and strange personal manner. I also believe that witnesses who saw victims speaking and laughing with a man before their murders did not see the killer. I sense the killer was man of few words, very shy, someone his victims actually felt they had to draw out, or even for whom they may have felt some amount of pity. Shy. Awkward. Quite. Wouldn't hurt a fly. Until he cut their throats, that is. I believe the killer's name is foreign to us, unknown. He lived quietly, unnoticed. He died, silenly, mourned by few, missed by none.
Hi Patrick,how hard would it have been for our killer to send something with his letters for example a piece of the victims clothing.Also in the case of the dear boss letter why not send it to a newspaper who would know about news agencies a journalist I think.The only communication I think might be genuine was the lusk letter purely on the fact who would waste money on buying a human kidney just for a joke.
__________________
Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-10-2014, 03:12 PM
GUT GUT is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: I come from a land Down Under
Posts: 7,152
Default

G'Day Pinkmoon

But someone did send something to Mr Lusk a kidne (sic) and most people still doubt the ID of the sender.

GUT
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-10-2014, 03:21 PM
pinkmoon pinkmoon is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: north west of england
Posts: 1,791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUT View Post
G'Day Pinkmoon

But someone did send something to Mr Lusk a kidne (sic) and most people still doubt the ID of the sender.

GUT
Hi gut,it wouldn't be impossible for someone to get their hands on a kidney from a dead shelia however it would be quite expensive for a none medical person to obtain one.Again why didn't our killer send something with the kidney to prove it was genuine it wouldn't have been that hard to do.
__________________
Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-10-2014, 04:03 PM
Bridewell Bridewell is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bottesford, Leicestershire
Posts: 3,619
Default

Quote:
Again why didn't our killer send something with the kidney to prove it was genuine it wouldn't have been that hard to do.
Perhaps it was a 'spur of the moment' decision following the Eddowes murder, in which case it would be very hard to do.It's not as though he could return to the scene and get something.
__________________
Regards, Bridewell.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-10-2014, 04:08 PM
GUT GUT is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: I come from a land Down Under
Posts: 7,152
Default

G'Day

And if he took the kidney to eat [as claimed] he may have decided to send part to Mr Lusk [Sor]

GUT
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-10-2014, 04:10 PM
Bridewell Bridewell is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bottesford, Leicestershire
Posts: 3,619
Default

Hi GUT.

(A belated welcome to the boards by the way).

Have just re-read the post I replied to. Perhaps (a little speculation here) that was the reasoning behind taking a piece of the apron. What mitigates against that is the size of the piece taken, but perhaps the intention was that the apron would serve two purposes:- assist in removal of the organ itself and (part of) to accompany the organ with the Lusk letter. If that was the case, it would suggest that he came close to being caught when he disposed of it (perhaps sooner than intended) on Goulston Street.
__________________
Regards, Bridewell.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-10-2014, 04:12 PM
pinkmoon pinkmoon is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: north west of england
Posts: 1,791
Default

You've got to admit it wouldn't have been to hard to send something with the dear boss letter to prove it was genuine.
__________________
Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-10-2014, 04:38 PM
GUT GUT is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: I come from a land Down Under
Posts: 7,152
Default

G'Day Bridewell

Thanks for the welcome.

Basically I agree. I have even at times wondered if he intended to write his next letter on it. That of course is if he wrote any damn letters.

GUT
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-12-2014, 03:04 AM
Patrick S Patrick S is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 976
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkmoon View Post
Hi Patrick,how hard would it have been for our killer to send something with his letters for example a piece of the victims clothing.Also in the case of the dear boss letter why not send it to a newspaper who would know about news agencies a journalist I think.The only communication I think might be genuine was the lusk letter purely on the fact who would waste money on buying a human kidney just for a joke.
Of course, anything is possible. If any letter is genuine, it's certainly the Lusk letter (and kidney). It's always tricky, at least for me, to make assumptions when so little is known. In most cases, for most people, its not feasible to be get hold of a kidney and send it in a parcel. For others, it might be quite feasible (medical students, mortuary workers, etc.). That said, it may be nearly as feasible that the killer sent it himself. For me, it's simply a feeling, one that may change at any time as I am exposed to new info, opinions. Mainly, it's a feeling I have based upon notes I've been making for the past twenty-five years. I've had thoughts, I write them down. Learn a fact here, do some research about a killer there, I write it down. Recently, I've been pulling notes together and arranging them in a more organized fashion. Creating narratives and speadsheets, even a few flowcharts. It's an interesting exercise, at the least. Thanks for the reply!
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.