No announcement yet.

I saw a documentary on youtube about this fellow recently

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steelysama, if all adulterous men were candidates for JtR... well, half of the world population would be liable!
    A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. (O Wilde)

Comment

Originally posted by prowling cat View Post
      Steelysama, if all adulterous men were candidates for JtR... well, half of the world population would be liable!
      Well, if you read my post, I said that he most likely was NOT JtR.

Just so that we get no more of these:

I do not think that Sickert was JtR.

That does not make him a good man, though.
      "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions." - G.K. Chesterton

Comment

All I'm not saying it's that, given what men are like, I still think that a 19th century male who indulged in adultery could still be quite a nice person, alas.
        Blame it on my Catholic, Mediterranean upbringing, I think all men are adulterous, or would be if they had the chance, whatever their nature, nice or otherwise.
        A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. (O Wilde)

Comment

Sickert made his name as an artist by portraying scenes of London music-hall life, which meant that he must have known the East End rather well. He never made any secret of his interest in the Ripper, and he may/may have not been responsible for at least one 'Ripper Letter'. His later works portrayed boredom and depression and staleness of life, and he also had a taste for painting females reclining on beds, chaises-longues, etc., which may account for his rumoured knowledge of Mary Kelly's corpse as it was discovered. The presumed link with the Ripper Crimes comes solely (I think) from the 'revelations' of his illegitimate son Joseph Gorman Sickert, which were latched onto by Stephen Knight. Great story, but largely nonsense, as Joseph eventually admitted that he made the whole thing up.

Sickert was a strikingly good-looking bohemian, whose morals most certainly do not find accord with our modern acceptance of what Victorian and Edwardian morals should have been; he had many lovers, and probably enough illegitimate offspring that he perhaps lost count of them. But does this make him a 'horrible man'? Don't think so. Immoral, certainly; horrible, no.

And I like his work, too.

Graham
          We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Originally posted by Steelysama View Post
            Completely wrong actually.

I read this, by Stephen Ryder:

It certainly does not sound at all like he was a good man.
            Well, there must have been something "good" about him if all those women wanted to be with him.

Actually. Didn't Pat go on about him being unable to have sex because of his diseased and withered auld todger, or something?
            I seem to remember this problem being her likely candidate for his psychological breakdown, so how would he have fathered all these kids?

Comment

Originally posted by prowling cat View Post

Sometimes it feels like half the population has already been speculated against.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                But does this make him a 'horrible man'? Don't think so. Immoral, certainly; horrible, no.
                Well, I respect your right to your opinion of him, of course. And I overgeneralized in my original statement. He may well have been nice in some ways. I do not know. I apologize for being hasty and overly emotive with that.

I will just leave it that I very much dislike and disapprove of the immoral behavior in which he engaged. That, of course, is my own view.
                Last edited by Steelysama; 06-28-2009, 05:31 AM.
                "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions." - G.K. Chesterton

Comment

I second liking his work. I believe though, the only scientific evidence in the case, points to him.

Comment

Working...
                  X