New Maybrick Website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The deadly cabal

I have just updated my James Maybrick website. It has been a while since the last update, my only excuse is that I have been busy with other matters. Yes - some of us do have interests outside of JtR - it is allowed!

I have added 14 new items to the archive collection this month. They include an interesting article by Adrian Morris on the debate surrounding the ink of the so-called Ripper Dairy. Adrian believes the Diary to be a modern forgery. In his article, Adrian refers to an ‘interesting series of exchanges’ he had a number of years ago with the well known author and researcher, Martin Fido. I have also included in the archives a response to Adrian’s article by Robert Smith, the man whose company currently owns the Diary. Robert is open-minded about the origins of the Diary, but is convinced it is an old document and believes that, if it was not written by James Maybrick himself, then it was written by someone close to him or to the Maybrick family. Both articles originally appeared in editions of the journal of the Whitechapel Society.

Three other new interesting archive items are taken from Florence’s trial. They cover the evidence given by Dr Macnamara, Dr Paul and Nurse Yapp. Nurse Yapp was the nanny to the Maybrick’s children at Battlecrease. Trevor Christie describes Yapp as part of the ‘deadly cabal,’ along with the Janion sisters, who stirred up hatred and suspicion at Battlecrease. When James Maybrick became ill in May 1889, Yapp told Mrs Briggs and Mrs Hughes that “the mistress is poisoning the master.”

I'm off to Chicago in April on the Florence Maybrick trail. She lived there for a while before she moved to Connecticut. Hopefully, I will be able to unearth some interesting facts about this stage of her life.

Best wishes, Chris Jones

Comment

The importance of research

I have just updated my website with some new material, including some new files and pictures for the archive section. In the latest news section I have written about my recent visit to Chicago and to the site of the Moraine Hotel in Highland Park where Florence lived for some five years.

One small but crucial lesson I learnt from my visit of Highland Park was the importance of original research. In my book I wrote that 'Florence first booked into the hotel in the summer of 1910 intending to stay only a short while. However, she loved the tranquil setting so much that she decided to make the hotel her base as she continued to travel the country on her lecture tour.' My sources for the date, 1910, were a variety of books, including the excellent Etched in Arson by Trevor Christie. My research at Highland Park clearly shows that the date in my book is wrong as the hotel register from 1909 shows that she stayed in the hotel on several occasions in that year. Although one might argue that the fact that the date is only one year out is hardly significant, it does make me wonder what other so-called 'facts' might be wrong. Indeed, there are many controversial questions that are widely debated by people who rely solely on secondary data. Therefore, if some of the 'facts' contained in these books are inaccurate then they will inevitably adversely affect the quality and validity of the debate.

Best wishes, Chris Jones

Comment

The website is awesome Chris. Everyone should go take a look at all the great work that has been put into it, Great job!
        Jordan

Comment

Keep up the great work, Chris!

Comment

Fiddling the Facts

First of all, thank you both very much for your positive comments.

Secondly, I have just purchased off the lovely Loretta Lay (check out her website www.laybooks.com) an old Shirely Harrison Diary of Jack the Ripper book signed by herself, Robert Smith and Michael Barrett. A real collector's item.

The book came with a William Hill betting slip signed by Mike Barrett backing a Grand National horse called 'Fiddling the Facts'. I will include a picture of the betting slip when I update the website in the next couple of weeks.

Best wishes, Chris Jones

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Jones View Post
              First of all, thank you both very much for your positive comments.

Secondly, I have just purchased off the lovely Loretta Lay (check out her website www.laybooks.com) an old Shirely Harrison Diary of Jack the Ripper book signed by herself, Robert Smith and Michael Barrett. A real collector's item.

The book came with a William Hill betting slip signed by Mike Barrett backing a Grand National horse called 'Fiddling the Facts'. I will include a picture of the betting slip when I update the website in the next couple of weeks.

Best wishes, Chris Jones
              Priceless, Chris. I will look forward to seeing updated website with the copy of the betting slip.

Chris (not fiddling with the facts too much I hope)
              Christopher T. George
              Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
              just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
              For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
              RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Meat Juice

It has been quite a while since I updated my Maybrick website, but I have added to both the archives and the Latest News sections in recent weeks. One thing I have added that will (probably) be of interest to you is a photograph that I took of the bottle of Valentine's meat juice that was the key piece of prosecution evidence at Florence's trial. The bottle is kept at New Scotland Yard in their so-called Black Museum. I did try and attach the picture to this reply; however, it appears to be too large for the system.

Although, I have not been over-active in updating my website, I have still been busy on the Maybrick evidence trail. Little new material about James being JtR or not being JtR, but a lot of new material on the life of Florence and her family. Off to Charleston at Easter for some more research. Have you ever wondered why James was more popular with the servants at Battlecrease than Florence?

Chris Jones

Comment

Have you ever wondered why James was more popular with the servants at Battlecrease than Florence?
                  Not until you posted that teaser, Chris! Do tell.
                  I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

It has been a while since I updated my website – far too long; however, I have added new material in both the archives and the Latest News Sections.

One new piece of archive material is an original letter of Florence Maybrick that I managed to acquire. The address on the envelope shows that Florence was then living at the home of Dr Helen Densmore (1833-1904). In 1892, she published a lengthy pamphlet entitled: The Maybrick Case: English Criminal Law. After Florence’s release from prison and her return to the United States, she stayed for a while with Helen Densmore and her husband, who were living back in America. Florence was in fact living with the Densmores when Helen died of heart failure in November 1904. I am currently doing research on Helen Densmore and I would welcome any material on her, especially a contemporary picture.

In the Latest News section I preview three books, including the recent controversial addition to Ripperology by Russell Edwards. I met Russell a couple of weeks ago and I have to tell you, I quite like him. I also enjoyed his book. I met Russell in his store in Whitechapel at the launch of ‘The Little Book of Jack the Ripper’ produced by the Whitechapel Society. Another good read, especially chapter 13; I wonder who wrote that?!

However, my favourite book at the moment is the fairly new book about Florence Maybrick by the author and researcher, Kate Colquhoun. The book is entitled: Did She Kill Him? A Victorian Tale of Deception, Adultery and Arsenic. (ISBN 978-1-4087-0390-9) I have met Kate on a couple of occasions and had the very real pleasure and privilege of giving her a guided tour of some Maybrick related sites on one of her research visits to Liverpool. She argues convincingly that Florence's sexuality and her adulterous relationship with Brierley shocked the Victorian mindset and almost certainly led to her guilty verdict. If you haven't read the book, I would recommend it to you unreservedly.

Comment

I've heard that Colquhoun never mentions the Maybrick Diary in her book. It that true?

Comment

It is true. The Jack the Ripper controversy surrounding James Maybrick is never part of the narrative. I've read the book and it's a good read!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
                          I've heard that Colquhoun never mentions the Maybrick Diary in her book. It that true?
                          It is true - she doesn't mention the Diary. Kate's focus is on the treatment of Florence before and during her trial. The Diary, as we all know, surfaced many years later. Kate tries to place Florence's experiences as a women in the context of late Victorian middle class society. Diary or not, it remains a well researched book and a good read.

Comment

Liverpool Cricket and Sporting Club

If I have done this correctly, the link below should take you to a short film on youtube taken very recently via a drone of Liverpool Cricket Club in Aigburth, Liverpool. If it doesn't, then simply copy the link and paste it in the appropriate box on youtube. You cannot quite see Battlecrease House in the film; however, the house overlooks the Cricket Club. If you do not know the area, Battlecrease House is on the left of the square as you look at the main building of the Cricket Club from the field. James Maybrick was of course a member of the Club and his membership form can still be seen in the Club's records.

Liverpool Cricket Club 2 Phantom 3 Aerial UAV Quadcopter video

Comment

Nope doesn't work.
                              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

If you copy the link and then paste it in the search box on youtube, then it does take you to the film. I know, because I have just tried that route.

Comment

Working...
                                X