Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Reference to Ripper Suspect 'Tumilty'

Hi all,

Here is one of the last 'public' references to Tumblety as a Ripper suspect until he was rediscovered by Stewart Evans in the 1990s. Joe Chetcuti informed me that Robert published this eight years ago. It is true that Tumblety was discussed in 1920 in Recollections of a Police Magistrate" by Colonel George T Denison, but there was no reference to him being a Ripper suspect:

Evening Star, April 15, 1907
    CARDINAL IS A LEGATEE.
    Will Get $10,000 for Charity Left by Dr. Francis T. Tumilty.
    ROCHESTER, N. Y., April 15.- The will of Dr. Francis T. Tumilty will soon be admitted to probate, owing to the death of Michael Fitzsimmons, one of the contestants. Dr. Tumilty died in St. Louis in 1904. At that time he was supposed to be a pauper. He was found dead in the grounds of a hospital in that city. When he was first taken ill he sent for Attorney T. D. Cannon and his will was drawn. He left property amounting to $200,000.
    The beneficiaries of the will are Mrs. Thomas Brady of Liverpool, England, a niece; Mrs. Jane Haynes, Vallejo, Cal., a sister; Mrs. Patrick Barrett and Mary Fitzsimmons of this city, nieces, $10,000; Mark A. Blackburn, formerly coachman and valet to Dr. Tumilty, $5,000, and Cardinal Gibbons and Archbishop Ireland, $10,000 each for charitable purposes.
    Tumilty started life as a newsboy in Rochester, and then entered the employ of a physician as office boy. He picked up a smattering of medical lore, and then disappeared from the city. He became a quack doctor and made money rapidly. He traveled all over this country, and was well known in the large cities. In Washington, Tumilty said, he held a commission as colonel in the United States army and that he was attached to the staff of Gen. McClellan. He was seen everywhere-at the War, Navy and State departments-and men high in the service of the government appeared to be pleased to acknowledge his acquaintance. He said he had served under the King of Prussia and the King of Italy and in most of the leading hospitals of England and the continent, and that the medals with which his coat was adorned had been conferred upon him by grateful sovereigns. But the day of exposure came, and Tumilty could not stand the storm of ridicule raised against him in Washington.
    He next appeared in St. Louis, but later returned to Washington, where, it is said, he was arrested for complicity in the plot to assassinate Lincoln. It was said that Harold, who was convicted on the charge of being a confederate of Booth in the assassination and was hanged, had been Tumilty’s valet, but this the doctor always denied.
    Tumilty became an object of international interest during the Whitechapel murders, a little more than twenty years ago. It will be remembered that the killings were marked by certain features that led to Tumilty’s arrest. One of his hobbies was to collect certain anatomical specimens of female organs, and this, together with his well-known attitude toward women, became known to the Scotland Yard officers. Sufficient evidence to convict was not secured, and he was eventually released. An effort was made to arrest him on another charge, but he disappeared, and when next seen was on this side of the Atlantic.
    From ostentation he passed to the diametrically opposite side of the scale, and instead of a prodigal spender of money he became miserly in habit. At the time his body was found in the yard of the small hospital where he had been a patient it was believed by those connected with the institution that he was penniless and an object of charity. Instead, his check was good for $130,000, and he possessed diamonds, it is said, valued at that time at $25,000.

Sincerely,
    Mike
    The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
    http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Originally posted by mklhawley View Post
    Hi all,

Here is one of the last 'public' references to Tumblety as a Ripper suspect until he was rediscovered by Stewart Evans in the 1990s. Joe Chetcuti informed me that Robert published this eight years ago. It is true that Tumblety was discussed in 1920 in Recollections of a Police Magistrate" by Colonel George T Denison, but there was no reference to him being a Ripper suspect:

Evening Star, April 15, 1907
    CARDINAL IS A LEGATEE.
    Will Get $10,000 for Charity Left by Dr. Francis T. Tumilty.
    ROCHESTER, N. Y., April 15.- The will of Dr. Francis T. Tumilty will soon be admitted to probate, owing to the death of Michael Fitzsimmons, one of the contestants. Dr. Tumilty died in St. Louis in 1904. At that time he was supposed to be a pauper. He was found dead in the grounds of a hospital in that city. When he was first taken ill he sent for Attorney T. D. Cannon and his will was drawn. He left property amounting to $200,000.
    The beneficiaries of the will are Mrs. Thomas Brady of Liverpool, England, a niece; Mrs. Jane Haynes, Vallejo, Cal., a sister; Mrs. Patrick Barrett and Mary Fitzsimmons of this city, nieces, $10,000; Mark A. Blackburn, formerly coachman and valet to Dr. Tumilty, $5,000, and Cardinal Gibbons and Archbishop Ireland, $10,000 each for charitable purposes.
    Tumilty started life as a newsboy in Rochester, and then entered the employ of a physician as office boy. He picked up a smattering of medical lore, and then disappeared from the city. He became a quack doctor and made money rapidly. He traveled all over this country, and was well known in the large cities. In Washington, Tumilty said, he held a commission as colonel in the United States army and that he was attached to the staff of Gen. McClellan. He was seen everywhere-at the War, Navy and State departments-and men high in the service of the government appeared to be pleased to acknowledge his acquaintance. He said he had served under the King of Prussia and the King of Italy and in most of the leading hospitals of England and the continent, and that the medals with which his coat was adorned had been conferred upon him by grateful sovereigns. But the day of exposure came, and Tumilty could not stand the storm of ridicule raised against him in Washington.
    He next appeared in St. Louis, but later returned to Washington, where, it is said, he was arrested for complicity in the plot to assassinate Lincoln. It was said that Harold, who was convicted on the charge of being a confederate of Booth in the assassination and was hanged, had been Tumilty’s valet, but this the doctor always denied.
    Tumilty became an object of international interest during the Whitechapel murders, a little more than twenty years ago. It will be remembered that the killings were marked by certain features that led to Tumilty’s arrest. One of his hobbies was to collect certain anatomical specimens of female organs, and this, together with his well-known attitude toward women, became known to the Scotland Yard officers. Sufficient evidence to convict was not secured, and he was eventually released. An effort was made to arrest him on another charge, but he disappeared, and when next seen was on this side of the Atlantic.
    From ostentation he passed to the diametrically opposite side of the scale, and instead of a prodigal spender of money he became miserly in habit. At the time his body was found in the yard of the small hospital where he had been a patient it was believed by those connected with the institution that he was penniless and an object of charity. Instead, his check was good for $130,000, and he possessed diamonds, it is said, valued at that time at $25,000.

Sincerely,
    Mike
    Hi Mike,

At least he was investigated and discarded.

Regards, Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
      Hi Mike,

At least he was investigated and discarded.

Regards, Pierre
      Hi Pierre,

For the wrong reason.

Mike

Comment

Hi Pierre,

For the wrong reason.

Mike
        Hi Mike,

How interesting. What do you think connects him to any (or several) of the murder sites?

Regards, Pierre

Comment

Hi Mike,

How interesting. What do you think connects him to any (or several) of the murder sites?

Regards, Pierre
          He's connected to all of the murder sites per his admission. Also, post Kelly murder, three Scotland Yard officials (Anderson, Andrews, and Littlechild) refer to Tumblety as a Ripper suspect. None would have considered him a suspect if he did not have opportunity for whom they believed was each and every victim. I have lots more, much of it is covered in Jonathan's podcast and publication of my PowerPoint slides I used at RipperCon.

Sincerely,
          Mike

Comment

He's connected to all of the murder sites per his admission. Also, post Kelly murder, three Scotland Yard officials (Anderson, Andrews, and Littlechild) refer to Tumblety as a Ripper suspect. None would have considered him a suspect if he did not have opportunity for whom they believed was each and every victim. I have lots more, much of it is covered in Jonathan's podcast and publication of my PowerPoint slides I used at RipperCon.

Sincerely,
            Mike
            I see. So why didn´t they put him to trial do you think?

Regards, Pierre

Comment

I see. So why didn´t they put him to trial do you think?

Regards, Pierre
              They couldn't go to trial, because they would have lost. Tumblety was wealthy and could afford the best legal team. Keep in mind, no one saw any of the murders, so no one could really have gone to court.

They did try and get him to court on a misdemeanor charge, but he posted bail and jumped ship. Interestingly, Scotland Yard identified him in France around November 23, but his court case of legally postponed until December 10, thus, did not officially abscond until that date. A warrant was issued on December 10. Why would Scotland Yard have cared about Tumblety in November and discover him in France, if they were only concerned about his misdemeanor case? The answer is the same reason why Asst Commissioner Anderson solicited information on Ripper suspect Tumblety from US chiefs of police in late November.

More to come, too!

Sincerely,
              Mike

Comment

Hi Mike

I think Joe means a similar article, but it wasn't posted by me but by Chris. I recovered the thread after a site crash :

Comment

Interesting stuff Mike.
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

They couldn't go to trial, because they would have lost. Tumblety was wealthy and could afford the best legal team. Keep in mind, no one saw any of the murders, so no one could really have gone to court.
                    So what exactly was the evidence the police had for them to suspect Tumblety was the killer ?

If he had such a good legal team how come he didn't stay and allow then to fight the gross indecency charges ?

Comment

There were multiple plaintiffs and he probably couldn't beat the charge(s)?

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
                        So what exactly was the evidence the police had for them to suspect Tumblety was the killer ?

If he had such a good legal team how come he didn't stay and allow then to fight the gross indecency charges ?

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
                        Trevor, what's up! Here's how good his legal counsel was. He told Tumblety exactly what they were up against on the gross indecency case; a case that even the grand jury recommended it go to trial. Whatever his counsel told him, Tumblety decided it was a good time to do what he had done in the past, sneak out. I'm not sure why this confuses you, Trevor?

As for your first question, I suggest you spend some time on Rippercast.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                          Hi Mike

I think Joe means a similar article, but it wasn't posted by me but by Chris. I recovered the thread after a site crash :

http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=125
                          Thanks Robert!

Comment

Hi Mike,

I suppose you know that Tumblety's defense counsel was related to the head of his prosecuting counsel.

Regards,

Simon
                            Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                              Hi Mike,

I suppose you know that Tumblety's defense counsel was related to the head of his prosecuting counsel.

Regards,

Simon
                              Hi Simon,

Fits even better then. Tumblety would clearly have known he was up the creek.

Regards,

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X