which Barnett was it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gareth

Hello Heinrich. Thanks. All I can say is that Gareth was one of our finest ripper students. He most likely checked these times with medical people. (What is face validity?)

I agree about Lewis' story; however, there were no fewer than 3 stories agreeing that MJK was alive after sunup. Make of that what you will.

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

He 'went Ripper fashion' with the first sweep of his fit-and-sharpened-for-the-purpose knife.

No bashing on the head, no knifeless throttling, no pillow over the face - he did this like he was prepared for everyone to connect the deed to the previous Whitechapel unfortunate throat cuttings.

The ripper himself was not concerned with doing a fair copy of what he'd done before. There was a POOR copyist at every turn for those who were expecting the same indignities and injuries to be inflicted on victims of the same hand.

But even the poorest copyist would have known to take a kidney with him, if not the uterus, and if Stride was considered one of the series, he had no need to venture much beyond the trademark throat cutting. Doing it indoors was a departure, and a risky one for any of Mary's closer associates to choose. A quick slash here and there before scarpering would have sufficed for anyone but the ripper. But this inside job was a truly golden opportunity for him alone to paint the town red for Lord Mayor's Day.

Has any other serial killer in history been upstaged like this by a poor pretender?

And yeah, I know what's coming, so spare us. ["What serial killer?" ]

Love,

Caz
      X
      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

continuity

Hello Caroline. I shall indeed spare you. But . . .

"no knifeless throttling, . . . he did this like he was prepared for everyone to connect the deed to the previous Whitechapel unfortunate throat cuttings."

But Polly and Annie were both, beyond doubt, throttled first. The others MAY have been, but the overt marks are lacking. If one really wanted to show continuity, one would need to strangle first and leave bruises. So IF a copy, THEN a poor one.

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

Time...

Estimates as to how long it took to complete to the satisfaction of the killer the butchery (butcher or not) of Kelly are moot, I think,

Because there is no way of knowing whether how long it could have taken is how long it did take, or even close to it.

Yes, ok, the Ripper worked quickly - so doubtless he could. But did he want to when it came to Kelly? Did he have to? Perhaps not.

Perhaps that was the point of killing inside a private space - different risk (not sure whether greater, necessarily) but a great payoff in terms of time. He had the time in that room. I'd expect him to use it to fulfil his fantasies - and it looks as though that's what he did.

Comment

moot?

Hello Sally. I would not say "moot." Frequently, the time factor has been offered to justify ruling out a morning murder. Gareth's work shows that one cannot rule that out on the basis of time of mutilation alone.

Fantasies? What fantasies would these be then?

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
              Hello Heinrich. Thanks. All I can say is that Gareth was one of our finest ripper students. He most likely checked these times with medical people. (What is face validity?)
              Face validity refers to the truth of a claim based on the likelihood of it being true. It is unlikely that Mary Kelly would have been boozing it up at 10 p.m. then had fish and potato breakfast at 6 a.m. and was having a jar again at 10 a.m. only to be mutilated beyond recognition before the discovery at the murder scene in her dwelling minutes later. The sociopathic killer hardly saw himself in the role of a contestant on Beat the Clock with a plan of action to quickly remove each organ and membrane to use in decorating the bedside table in the least amount of time during mid-morning on a public holiday. The story is implausible on the face of it.

I agree about Lewis' story; however, there were no fewer than 3 stories agreeing that MJK was alive after sunup. Make of that what you will.
              None of the three stories lend support to any other and are unworthy of credence in the absence of corroboration.

Comment

Hi Heinrich,
                I am not that proud of my younger days, many a time have I had a night-times drinking, followed in the morning by my previous nights dinner[ which included fish and chips] then it was off to the pub with the lads at lunchtime...these things happen.
                But I am glad to say I never got murdered..
                Witnesses such as Maxwell, and Mr Lewis, simply cannot be cast aside, because they don't sound plausible, for our so called ''Logical '' minds,
                As I have previously said, this thread was about the sighting by Lewis on the Thursday night, which had her drinking with Dan?, and asking why he was not more prominent in investigations?
                Regards Richard.

Comment

Sociopaths R Us

Hello Heinrich. Thanks.

"The sociopathic killer hardly saw himself in the role of a contestant on Beat the Clock with a plan of action to quickly remove each organ and membrane to use in decorating the bedside table in the least amount of time during mid-morning on a public holiday."

How do we know that MJK's killer was a sociopath? How do we know his motives?

"The story is implausible on the face of it."

I find most of the theorising on MJK implausible--most of all, that she succumbed to a serial killer.

"None of the three stories lend support to any other and are unworthy of credence in the absence of corroboration."

Well, they DO corroborate one another in that each has MJK up and about after sunup. As I say, make of that what you will.

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
                    As I have previously said, this thread was about the sighting by Lewis on the Thursday night, which had her drinking with Dan?, and asking why he was not more prominent in investigations?
                    Regards Richard.
                    The problem for you, Richard, is that no one believes Lewis.

How do we know that MJK's killer was a sociopath? How do we know his motives?
                    The excess of mutilation is characteristic of a man without an ounce of normalcy.

I find most of the theorising on MJK implausible--most of all, that she succumbed to a serial killer.
                    So do I.

Well, they DO corroborate one another in that each has MJK up and about after sunup. As I say, make of that what you will.
                    Little, if anything, should be made of the sightings on the morning after Mary Kelly was murdered as they do not agree on location or time.

Comment

The excess of mutilation is characteristic of a man without an ounce of normalcy.
                      Uh Oh. There goes Bad Joe Barnett off the suspect list. He was just another ordinary Joe after all...

Comment

normalcy

Hello Heinrich. Thanks.

"The excess of mutilation is characteristic of a man without an ounce of normalcy."

Completely agree. But can one be abnormal and yet not sociopathic?

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

Originally posted by Sally View Post
                          Uh Oh. There goes Bad Joe Barnett off the suspect list. He was just another ordinary Joe after all...
                          There is nothing "ordinary" about a dosser who wanted to freeload on a local prostitute while attempting to control her movements and associations and who resorted to stalking her after many arguments and leaving her home. He had odd echolalia speech and finally butchered the unfortunate victim.

"The excess of mutilation is characteristic of a man without an ounce of normalcy."

Completely agree. But can one be abnormal and yet not sociopathic?
                          Characteristic of sociopathy is a lack of concern for others, unable to be empathic or remorseful. Mary Kelly was made an object of jealous rage and her mutilation was an attempt to rob her of even the appearance of humanity. The creep got away with murder.

Comment

observations

Hello Heinrich. Thanks.

"Characteristic of sociopathy is a lack of concern for others, unable to be empathic or remorseful."

Hmm, I worked for these chaps when I was a dustman. (heh-heh)

"Mary Kelly was made an object of jealous rage. . . "

Rage? Perhaps. Jealous? Don't know. Possible.

" . . . and her mutilation was an attempt to rob her of even the appearance of humanity."

Or to keep her from being recognised. Or to obliterate her. Or . . .

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

There is nothing "ordinary" about a dosser who wanted to freeload on a local prostitute while attempting to control her movements and associations and who resorted to stalking her after many arguments and leaving her home. He had odd echolalia speech and finally butchered the unfortunate victim.
                              I agree...so we're looking for an obsessive repetitive pimp with controlling homicidal tendencies and no sat-nav...shouldn't be that difficult to find one, they're pretty common...

Comment

Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
                                Hello Lynn,
                                For argument sake, lets say that Mr Lewis saw Kelly around 10am on the 9TH, in Ringers,
                                Around ten would be most likely , not precise,It could be 950-1010am, if the former, both Mary and a man[ maybe Maxwell's market porter] could have been back in her room by 1005am, and her killer out and gone by 1035am, leaving a full ten minutes [ or so] before Bowyers visit.
                                We should not forget our Jack worked very rapid, and he hardly hung around at Mitre square on the 30TH?.
                                I have never understood, why so many people have entertained the thought that the Ripper made himself at home in room13, he would have been in a frenzy, desperate to achieve his aim ,and get the hell out of there.
                                I almost get the impression many have, the killer, lighting a fire, making tea, and toast , during a long leisurely blood bath.
                                I do not subscribe to that, and I agree with Sam Flynn's interpretation.
                                Regards Richard.
                                Hi Richard

I have never understood, why so many people have entertained the thought that the Ripper made himself at home in room13,

Because he could.
                                "Is all that we see or seem
                                but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                                quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Working...
                                X