Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Non-Fiction: Deconstructing Jack by Simon Wood - by David Orsam 28 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: PC did not pass Dorset St. in his beat - by John G 42 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: PC did not pass Dorset St. in his beat - by Robert 1 hour and 19 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: PC did not pass Dorset St. in his beat - by GUT 2 hours ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: The Nature of Evidence - by Pierre 2 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: PC did not pass Dorset St. in his beat - by Kattrup 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: The Nature of Evidence - (32 posts)
Non-Fiction: Deconstructing Jack by Simon Wood - (17 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Favorite Films (lists up to participating site members) - (7 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: PC did not pass Dorset St. in his beat - (7 posts)
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (3 posts)
Audio -- Visual: Exorcist and JTR - (3 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > General Discussion

Old 09-14-2016, 01:31 PM
Detective

Default The Double Event

When considering the possibility that Liz Stride was not a Ripper victim, a large part of the argument is the two murders happening within a short time frame in such close proximity. Even by London 1888 standards that would be very unusual so tends to suggest it was the same killer.

If Stride was killed by someone other than the killer of Eddowes I think the likeliest explanation would be the cry going out "The Rippers struck again in Berner street!" and Jack hears this, possibly enraged at another claiming his work goes out and commits a "real" Ripper killing. Possibly explaining the increase in mutation on Eddowes.

I think Stride probably was a Ripper killing, but I think this explanation gives a bit more scope for considering she wasn't.

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:36 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectorDave View Post
When considering the possibility that Liz Stride was not a Ripper victim, a large part of the argument is the two murders happening within a short time frame in such close proximity. Even by London 1888 standards that would be very unusual so tends to suggest it was the same killer.

If Stride was killed by someone other than the killer of Eddowes I think the likeliest explanation would be the cry going out "The Rippers struck again in Berner street!" and Jack hears this, possibly enraged at another claiming his work goes out and commits a "real" Ripper killing. Possibly explaining the increase in mutation on Eddowes.

I think Stride probably was a Ripper killing, but I think this explanation gives a bit more scope for considering she wasn't.
I believe that one factor that is vital to consider is whether qwe have any evidence at all that the killer had his time with Stride abbreviated due to some outside influence. There is none here. She looked "as if gently lain down", she was on her side with her skirts hem down, and there is no physical evidence that indicates partial or incomplete actions.

When considering that we are talking about a serial PM mutilator that is quite informative.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:38 AM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W Richards View Post
I believe that one factor that is vital to consider is whether qwe have any evidence at all that the killer had his time with Stride abbreviated due to some outside influence. There is none here. She looked "as if gently lain down", she was on her side with her skirts hem down, and there is no physical evidence that indicates partial or incomplete actions.

When considering that we are talking about a serial PM mutilator that is quite informative.
Jack has handed her the cachous and struck almost simultaneously.

BS man has already left.

The cachous were an astringent medicine Jack has gifted Stride for her autosomal dominant genetic disorder.
Her bottom lip tells it's own story.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:55 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectorDave View Post
Unless it was a conspiracy.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:52 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJA View Post

Jack has handed her the cachous and struck almost simultaneously.

There is no evidence that says she didn't buy the cashous herself, particularly when she doesn't have the 6d she left the lodging house with.

BS man has already left.

There is a witness who claimed to see a BSM, corroborated by no-one. Its entirely possible the story is malarky.
The cachous were an astringent medicine Jack has gifted Stride for her autosomal dominant genetic disorder. Her bottom lip tells it's own story

No comment.
I wouldn't use stories instead of facts.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:30 AM
Detective

I remain sceptical that STRIDE was a Ripper victim. An alarming coincidence yes but throat cutting wasn't anything new in that period. I believe hysteria had a large part to play.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:54 AM
Chief Inspector

That's the problem with this case, there are too many unknowns. People have made solid arguments for and against the GSG and the victim tally. We can't narrow down certain suspects when we don't know for certain how many victims he claimed. I'm not sure you can throw out the likes of Mylett, McKenzie, Coles, and the Torso series, knowing what we do about serial killers.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:19 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Station Cat View Post
I remain sceptical that STRIDE was a Ripper victim. An alarming coincidence yes but throat cutting wasn't anything new in that period. I believe hysteria had a large part to play.
Hi cat
Stride was a ripper victim.

All the witnesses the night of the double event describe a man with a peaked cap. marshall, PC smith, Scwartz at the Stride scene. Lawende at the Eddowes scene.

The ripper was wearing a peaked cap the night of the double event. To me its the final straw that connects stride with Eddowes to the same man.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 03-09-2017, 06:22 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
That's the problem with this case, there are too many unknowns. People have made solid arguments for and against the GSG and the victim tally. We can't narrow down certain suspects when we don't know for certain how many victims he claimed. I'm not sure you can throw out the likes of Mylett, McKenzie, Coles, and the Torso series, knowing what we do about serial killers.
Hi Harry
agree for the most part. I tend to not include Mylett and coles. Mylett is too nebulous and there is not enough of same MO or sig. Coles I think the same, plus I still think that Sadler could probably still been her killer.

The sig is similar enough on the torsos, that I now lean towrd the ripper in those-at least in the 80s cases.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Last edited by Abby Normal : 03-09-2017 at 06:29 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:28 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Station Cat View Post
Hi again
I don't think throat cutting-or more specifically-murdered women by cut throat-was as common as you think. according to colin Roberts excellent research in the years before and after 88 there was a relatively low (about 10 give or take) women murdered by knife in London. The year 88 there was a spike to about 17 I believe (which also is powerful statistical evidence IMHO that a serial killer was at work).

Also, murder of women by cut throat was seemingly to be such a rare occurance that the police thought that sadler could have been the ripper even several years later, mainly because he was under the suspicion fro murdering Coles by cutting her throat!

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline