Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Sam Flynn 21 minutes ago.
Neil, P.C. John: Running towards me without a hat, which raised my suspicions!!! - by The Station Cat 1 hour and 4 minutes ago.
Non-Fiction: Scholes of the Yard: The Casebook of a Scotland Yard Detective 1888 to 1924 - by The Station Cat 1 hour and 22 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Harry D 1 hour and 24 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Sam Flynn 3 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Sam Flynn 4 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (28 posts)
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - (15 posts)
Non-Fiction: Jack the Poet - (1 posts)
Thompson, Francis: Jack the Poet - (1 posts)
Non-Fiction: Scholes of the Yard: The Casebook of a Scotland Yard Detective 1888 to 1924 - (1 posts)
Neil, P.C. John: Running towards me without a hat, which raised my suspicions!!! - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries > A6 Murders

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Limehouse Limehouse is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cambridgeshire, England.
Posts: 1,874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonIpstone View Post
Hello Tony,

I must make it clear that I do not believe all people from Bedfordshire to be dimwits, only a high proportion and this was reflected in the intellectual composition of the jury.

Ron
I assume you carried out relevant tests to determine the intellectual composition of the jury? You were quite critical of people you think are not qualified to comment on the scientific aspects of this case so could we know how you know so much about the intellectual capabilities of a jury that sat in a courtroom almost 50 years ago?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-02-2011, 05:57 PM
Limehouse Limehouse is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cambridgeshire, England.
Posts: 1,874
Default

Derrick wrote:

The actual results are unknown to anyone here so Victor must support his opinion with solid evidence as source tissue is unknowable from DNA testing.

Vic wrote:

Paragraph 120 from the judgment:
Dr Evison [the Defence expert] seems to accept that in the case of the knicker fragment the contaminant would have to be semen.


Whether he was the defence expert or not - how could he 'seem to accept' something that is not actually able to be established according to current scientific knowledge?

Was that line actually in the judgement and if so is Dr Evison being misunderstood or misquoted? Surely a scientist would not 'seem to accept' something?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-02-2011, 06:39 PM
Premium Member
caz caz is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 5,346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
There is a Tarleton Street in Liverpool, Rhyl, Burnley and Manchester.
Hi Derrick,

But Hanratty only claimed to be in Liverpool, and later Rhyl, when his semen (unless evidence to the contrary surfaces) was being deposited on a woman's underwear considerably further south.

There must have been a reason for Hanratty to suddenly decide he had gone on to Rhyl. Now if you accept that he genuinely had been asking for Liverpool's Tarleton St, while in Liverpool, and was also familiar with Rhyl's seafront and the roads leading directly off it, do you not find it a trifle odd that he said nothing, while fighting for his life during the trial, about asking for those rather specific directions before moving on to Rhyl, and then gave Rhyl, with its own very easy-to-find Tarleton St, as his shiny new improved alibi, when Liverpool's example could surely have saved his neck if only he had thought to mention his enquiry there?

None of it smells right and the jury smelled rotten fish.

Love,

Caz
X
__________________
"Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov


Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-02-2011, 07:08 PM
NickB NickB is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 726
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz View Post
do you not find it a trifle odd that he said nothing, while fighting for his life during the trial, about asking for those rather specific directions before moving on to Rhyl
I thought he told the police (via Mr Kleinmann) about asking for Tarleton Road on 13th October, just after arriving at Bedford for the Skillet / Blackall / Trower id parade.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-03-2011, 09:59 AM
Victor Victor is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limehouse View Post
That is a complete misrepresentation of what I was explaining to Babybird. Babybird was speculating on people's reaction to the DNA analysis in other cases and she specifically mentioned Jo Yates in Bristol - the scientific details of which have not been made public. There is a difference between comparing cases that have been tested and found wanting and cases that have not even seen the inside of a court room.
Hi Julie,

How did I misrepresent you? I flipped your argument but maintained the logic.

The point is that we have results in Hanratty, and results in Mr E and many many others. Derrick is arguing that the conclusions from the results in Mr E were wrong, therefore the conclusions from the results in Hanratty are likely to be wrong. This is ridiculous because he is ignoring the conclusions from the results in the many other cases, such as Napper where the LCN conclusions were correct. Therefore it's just as valid to argue that the Napper conclusions are correct therefore the Hanratty conclusions are correct.

KR,
Vic.
__________________
Truth is female, since truth is beauty rather than handsomeness; this [...] would certainly explain the saying that a lie could run around the world before Truth has got its, correction, her boots on, since she would have to chose which pair - the idea that any woman in a position to choose would have just one pair of boots being beyond rational belief.
Unseen Academicals - Terry Pratchett.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Victor Victor is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limehouse View Post
how could he 'seem to accept' something that is not actually able to be established according to current scientific knowledge?
Hi Julie,

You are wrong. It is possible to discriminate sperm heads from other DNA sources.

Secondly, presumably he refused to state he accepts the proposition - otherwise he'd be fired just like Lincoln was, so much for an unbiased defence - but he could not honestly and legitimately deny it.

Quote:
Was that line actually in the judgement and if so is Dr Evison being misunderstood or misquoted? Surely a scientist would not 'seem to accept' something?
Yes the line was in paragraph 120 of the judgment, and I gave the link to it too so you could see for yourself. Here it is again -> http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Crim/2002/1141.html

I don't think he was either misunderstood nor misquoted - the judgment is the 3 judges opinion of what he said, so the above is a plausible explanation but not the only possibility.

KR,
Vic.
__________________
Truth is female, since truth is beauty rather than handsomeness; this [...] would certainly explain the saying that a lie could run around the world before Truth has got its, correction, her boots on, since she would have to chose which pair - the idea that any woman in a position to choose would have just one pair of boots being beyond rational belief.
Unseen Academicals - Terry Pratchett.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Premium Member
caz caz is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 5,346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
I thought he told the police (via Mr Kleinmann) about asking for Tarleton Road on 13th October, just after arriving at Bedford for the Skillet / Blackall / Trower id parade.
Hi Nick,

Do you happen to know exactly what Hanratty was able to say about his alleged request(s) for directions, ie before the sweet shop lady was sought out?

What I'm trying to get at is how many details were confirmed independently by the sweet shop lady; how many new ones she gave, that Hanratty never mentioned; and why - if the two stories had enough in common - could Hanratty's defence not have made a hell of a lot more of this in order to show, beyond reasonable doubt, that he was at least in Liverpool at some point during the critical period he so badly needed to account for?

Did the defence so let him down on this point that he realised Rhyl was now an absolute necessity to introduce? Or did he let himself down because his version did not match the truth?

Love,

Caz
X
__________________
"Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov



Last edited by caz : 02-07-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-07-2011, 02:47 PM
babybird67 babybird67 is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Wales
Posts: 1,146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz View Post
Hi Nick,

Do you happen to know exactly what Hanratty was able to say about his alleged request(s) for directions, ie before the sweet shop lady was sought out?

What I'm trying to get at is how many details were confirmed independently by the sweet shop lady; how many new ones she gave, that Hanratty never mentioned; and why - if the two stories had enough in common - could Hanratty's defence not have made a hell of a lot more of this in order to show, beyond reasonable doubt, that he was at least in Liverpool at some point during the critical period he so badly needed to account for?

Did the defence so let him down on this point that he realised Rhyl was now an absolute necessity to introduce? Or did he let himself down because his version did not match the truth?

Love,

Caz
X
As far as I can remember, Caz, the details themselves did not match in any respect. Mrs Dinwoodie describes someone who spoke with either a Welsh or Scottish aceent; it doesn't matter how much anyone tries to twist that, neither of those accents resembles a London accent in any way.

Mrs Dinwoodie also said she herself was too busy and barely spoke to him anyway, and other customers took him to the door and pointed out a bus stop and direction to him.

I don't have the books I'm afraid, but from what I can remember, when examined closely, the details don't match up, and that is why the alibi was not able to be made more of in court. It is the Rhyl alibi all over again in that the details are all mis-matching (e.g. witnesses alleging they saw Hanratty at a time he could not have been there/said himself he wasnt there).

And let's not forget this was all supposed to have happened on a day when it is known Hanratty was in London with the Frances.
__________________
babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-07-2011, 03:03 PM
Graham Graham is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Midlands
Posts: 3,050
Default Liverpool Alibi

Big problem for JH was that immediately after being charged, Kleinmann passed his statement to the police before initiating inquiries on behalf of the defence! Even Woffinden implies that this was not clever. What it meant was that the police got to Mrs Dinwoodie before the defence, who had no chance to interview her before she'd "identified" as JH the one photo she was shown by the police, and thus thrown the entire identification into doubt.

Graham
__________________
We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-07-2011, 04:06 PM
Premium Member
caz caz is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 5,346
Default

Thanks BB and Graham.

What I'm really after is how Hanratty described the whole scenario of asking for those directions. Did he mention asking in a sweet shop? Did he mention Liverpool's Tarleton St in so many words when including this detail in his alibi? If so, why is there a question mark over whether he asked for Tarleton St/Rd/Carlton St/Rd or just something that may have sounded like it to the sweet shop lady, who was apparently taking so little notice? If not, how could anyone have confirmed what he asked for, if he couldn't even remember himself where he needed to go?

I agree entirely about the accent being a problem. People want it both ways: unfair if his recognisably Cockney accent set him up on the id parade; unfair if it was so unrecognisably Cockney that a Scouser took it as Welsh or Scottish.

It was bad enough showing just the one photo to Mrs Dinwoodie (I don't think it would be admissible today) but if she could already have seen a single photo of JH in the media it could have been a classic case of getting two occasions mixed up: recognising JH from a very recent media picture and honestly thinking she was recognising the man who, some time previously, had come into her shop. There's no going back if something like this could have happened and it's a very common problem with eye witness testimony.

Another reason why Hanratty should have mentioned it much sooner if he really went on to Rhyl that night and needed someone he saw there - just one would have done - to be able to confirm it before the media circus got going.

Love,

Caz
X
__________________
"Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov



Last edited by caz : 02-07-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.