Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Mary Jane Kelly: Mary Kellys husband - by Darryl Kenyon 1 hour and 2 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Mary Kellys husband - by Darryl Kenyon 2 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Mary Kellys husband - by Wickerman 5 hours ago.
Mary Ann Nichols: Double throat cuts - by Wickerman 6 hours ago.
Other: Two London Murder Mysteries - by Abby Normal 7 hours ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: The Nature of Evidence - by harry 7 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: The Nature of Evidence - (102 posts)
Mary Ann Nichols: Double throat cuts - (57 posts)
Other: Two London Murder Mysteries - (10 posts)
Audio -- Visual: Exorcist and JTR - (7 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Mary Kellys husband - (6 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Apron placement as intimidation? - (6 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Shades of Whitechapel

Old 05-16-2017, 07:28 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayerling View Post
When his partner Myra died about a decade ago I wrote that I hoped Ian would not keep us waiting. Well, he kept us waiting 10 years. But he and Myra can help try to keep each other cool in their new adjacent abodes.

Well whose next on the list of "deserving to leave planet Earth for good, and for the good of mankind"? Forgetting some deservedly choice specimens among the politically active (no names mentioned here), these people jump up:

1) Charlie Manson
2) Mark Chapman
3) David Berkowitz (yeah, I know he found religion in prison - so did Myra before she died, remember?).

Jeff
Finding religion doesn't absolve them, in my opinion, it might make them better people than they were, it may even change their final destination (depending on your beliefs and the genuiness of their "conversion") but what they did is still about as bad as it gets.

Now as for Chapman, his was (again my opinion) much different, in fact if he had killed Joe Bloggs rather than one of the most famous people of the 20th Century we probably wouldn't have heard his name.

But it was John so he can rot as far as I'm concerned.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:37 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUT View Post
Finding religion doesn't absolve them, in my opinion, it might make them better people than they were, it may even change their final destination (depending on your beliefs and the genuiness of their "conversion") but what they did is still about as bad as it gets.

Now as for Chapman, his was (again my opinion) much different, in fact if he had killed Joe Bloggs rather than one of the most famous people of the 20th Century we probably wouldn't have heard his name.

But it was John so he can rot as far as I'm concerned.
To have killed the gifted minstrel of our generation merits his inclusion. It still bothers me that he claimed he was influenced by Salinger's "The Catcher in the Rye", a novel that is well written, but that I had to read twice for different grades in school, and one I ended up disliking before Lennon was killed. I wonder what Chapman would have thought had J.D. Salinger been shot and killed by some literary critic of his work, who boasted that now he was fully as famous as Salinger, and it took him less time to get the same fame. Chapman (if he really meant it about the effect of that novel on him) might have been wondering about the meaning of life after such an event. But I keep suspecting the love of that book was just for effect.

Anyone in New Zealand or Australia you can think of as "worthy" to add to the three I chose, GUT?
Old 05-16-2017, 07:38 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayerling View Post
To have killed the gifted minstrel of our generation merits his inclusion. It still bothers me that he claimed he was influenced by Salinger's "The Catcher in the Rye", a novel that is well written, but that I had to read twice for different grades in school, and one I ended up disliking before Lennon was killed. I wonder what Chapman would have thought had J.D. Salinger been shot and killed by some literary critic of his work, who boasted that now he was fully as famous as Salinger, and it took him less time to get the same fame. Chapman (if he really meant it about the effect of that novel on him) might have been wondering about the meaning of life after such an event. But I keep suspecting the love of that book was just for effect.

Anyone in New Zealand or Australia you can think of as "worthy" to add to the three I chose, GUT?

Martin Bryant.

Worst peace time mass killing, Port Arthur (which I love) in Tasmania.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:40 PM
Commisioner

I would have included Ivan Milan, but thank goodness, he's gone.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:35 PM
Detective

Fascinating article from a man who corresponded with Brady over a period of years: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39925965
Old 05-16-2017, 10:13 PM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUT View Post
I would have included Ivan Milan, but thank goodness, he's gone.
Ivan Milat is still in Goulburn Correctional Centre doing seven consecutive life sentences.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:50 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJA View Post
Ivan Milat is still in Goulburn Correctional Centre doing seven consecutive life sentences.
I thought he'd died, mongrel should have

Old 05-17-2017, 12:28 AM
Casebook Supporter

Peter Sutcliffe should be on the list. Also Sidney Cooke.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:37 AM
Detective

Default Sentencing comparisons

It's a sobering thought, especially for Norwegians, that Anders Behring Breivik who killed 77 people, received a 21 year sentence! This sentence can be extended but it could mean that Breivik will know freedom again before he reaches 60! although I can't imagine him being welcomed back into the community with open arms! The only comment that I can make on Brady's death is that it came far, far too late. I agree with the earlier poster that he probably couldn't even remember where Keith Bennett was buried but it was enough for him that Keith's poor mother thought that he did. Theres a front page headline in the Daily Mirror in the U.K saying that Brady wanted his ashes scattered on the moors....I think not.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:39 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
It's a sobering thought, especially for Norwegians, that Anders Behring Breivik who killed 77 people, received a 21 year sentence! This sentence can be extended but it could mean that Breivik will know freedom again before he reaches 60! although I can't imagine him being welcomed back into the community with open arms! The only comment that I can make on Brady's death is that it came far, far too late. I agree with the earlier poster that he probably couldn't even remember where Keith Bennett was buried but it was enough for him that Keith's poor mother thought that he did. Theres a front page headline in the Daily Mirror in the U.K saying that Brady wanted his ashes scattered on the moors....I think not.
Hello HS,

Re Breivik. The maximum sentence for any crime in Norway is 21 years. The "extension" you talk of is an auto extension, that can be granted within the final years. That period is for an additional 5 years. It..the sentence..can then be extended another 5 years and be done as often as needed.
Therefore there us no realistic chance at all that Breivik will ever be released back into the community. It is just a technicality of Norwegian law that requires the process to proceed in that manner. Just as Breivik can apply for parole..and he will..you can bet a lot of money on it.. the State can apply for as many extentions they want.
Breivik is regarded in Norway as a traitor.. much as Quisling was at the end of WWII. That label is the worst comment from the Norwegian people that can be attributed any Norwegian citizen.
I have lived here in Norway for over 36 years.

Regards

Phil

Justice for the 96 = achieved
Accountability? ....