Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by caz 19 minutes ago.
A6 Murders: Bob Woffinden has died - by Derrick 22 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Lechmere graves and tragedy - by MrBarnett 55 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by caz 59 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Lechmere graves and tragedy - by MrBarnett 1 hour and 4 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by caz 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (18 posts)
Maybrick, James: Too Sensible & Competent - (8 posts)
Maybrick, James: A Very Inky Question - (4 posts)
Maybrick, James: Mike Barrett Interview - September 1995 - (4 posts)
Maybrick, James: Anne Graham Interview - October 1995 - (3 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (3 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Motive, Method and Madness

Old 01-09-2018, 10:09 PM
Chief Inspector

I am uncertain whether either the apron or the graffito could have been left for intimidation, given that the "message" either might convey was uncertain.
For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:16 AM
Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
I am uncertain whether either the apron or the graffito could have been left for intimidation, given that the "message" either might convey was uncertain.
Amazed to see this still going

My thinking is that the message is unclear to us, but may have been clear to the intended recipient of the message.

Not necessarily something as complex as a code or anything fancy like that.

For example, what if I had a strong suspicion or had witnessed the murderer doing something? Something damnable.

If the murderer knew me, and I knew the murderer, and then after a kill he dumped the bloody apron on my doorstep -- I might take that as a threat against me, or a message of "I could get you too."

I think this thought was, frankly, something better left for a plot point in a crime fiction novel, than anything that would seriously inform my view of the case.

But I like to think out loud sometimes. Amazed that it's echoed across 46 pages or what have you.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:03 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Daniels View Post
My thinking is that the message is unclear to us, but may have been clear to the intended recipient of the message.

If the murderer knew me, and I knew the murderer, and then after a kill he dumped the bloody apron on my doorstep -- I might take that as a threat against me, or a message of "I could get you too."
This is just a what if, but what if the apron wasn't left at Goulston street by the murderer, but someone who knew where the murderer lived. Perhaps they were scared to come forward and so left the apron there after picking it up when it had been discarded earlier and after following him home. Maybe they witnessed the murder, or its aftermath. Possibly they even left the GSG as a clue to the police. Do we have the Ripper's address?

Not a theory - just a thought game.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:49 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by etenguy View Post
This is just a what if, but what if the apron wasn't left at Goulston street by the murderer, but someone who knew where the murderer lived. Perhaps they were scared to come forward and so left the apron there after picking it up when it had been discarded earlier and after following him home. Maybe they witnessed the murder, or its aftermath. Possibly they even left the GSG as a clue to the police. Do we have the Ripper's address?

Not a theory - just a thought game.
Interesting.
IMHO the ripper got pissed because he was interrupted by Jews that night, and being a local who knew the buildings were mostly Jewish residents, left the apron and signed it with the Jew incriminating graffiti.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 03-03-2018, 09:17 AM
Assistant Commissioner

I just don't see anger at the Jews in general for being interrupted that night. First of all, that assumes that the B.S. man was Stride's killer which I don't think he was. But even if he was, Schwartz's interruption didn't stop him from killing Stride. As for anger at Diemschutz for possibly interrupting the mutilation of Stride, how does Diemschutz being Jewish enter into it? Was he driving his cart in some sort of Jewish way that took it into the path of the Ripper or was it driven as part of some sort of Jewish ritual? As for Lawende and his companions, how did they interrupt the plans of the Ripper? Did they look at him in some sort of Jewish way or approach him and say hey we are Jews and we don't like the way you are looking at that woman don't you dare go on to kill her? That really seems like a stretch. And finally, if the Ripper were really filled with anger at the Jews and wanted to intimidate them why write such an ambiguous message that could also be interpreted as being pro-Jewish? And even if the message is anti-Jewish surely he could have done better than what seems like a mild rebuke.

c.d.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:37 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.d. View Post
I just don't see anger at the Jews in general for being interrupted that night. First of all, that assumes that the B.S. man was Stride's killer which I don't think he was. But even if he was, Schwartz's interruption didn't stop him from killing Stride. As for anger at Diemschutz for possibly interrupting the mutilation of Stride, how does Diemschutz being Jewish enter into it? Was he driving his cart in some sort of Jewish way that took it into the path of the Ripper or was it driven as part of some sort of Jewish ritual? As for Lawende and his companions, how did they interrupt the plans of the Ripper? Did they look at him in some sort of Jewish way or approach him and say hey we are Jews and we don't like the way you are looking at that woman don't you dare go on to kill her? That really seems like a stretch. And finally, if the Ripper were really filled with anger at the Jews and wanted to intimidate them why write such an ambiguous message that could also be interpreted as being pro-Jewish? And even if the message is anti-Jewish surely he could have done better than what seems like a mild rebuke.

c.d.
Seems to odd a coincidence on the night of the double event where several Jewish witnesses, including one who had a heavy Jewish appearance, saw and possibly interrupted the ripper that anti Jewish graffiti just happened to be found with evidence from a crime scene and on a predominantly Jewish residence.

Just my opinion.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 03-05-2018, 04:37 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Hello Abby,

But as I pointed out in my post, how did their being Jewish factor into it?

Calling the message anti-Jewish in nature is an opinion. It can be interpreted as being pro-Jewish as well. Only the author knows what was actually intended.

And even if we accept the premise that the message was intended as a response to his being interrupted why does it seem so mild in nature? More along the lines of a Jewish butcher being caught with his thumb on the scale.

c.d.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:15 PM
Assistant Commissioner

I should have added that even if we knew with absolute certainty that the killer wrote the message and that it was in fact anti-semitic, we still could not be sure that it was simply not a ruse on the part of the killer. He could have been a Jew and wrote the message to put the police on the wrong track.

c.d.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:35 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.d. View Post
I should have added that even if we knew with absolute certainty that the killer wrote the message and that it was in fact anti-semitic, we still could not be sure that it was simply not a ruse on the part of the killer. He could have been a Jew and wrote the message to put the police on the wrong track.

c.d.
Hello CD,

While you are correct in your assessment that the Goulston St graffito is open to interpretation, we need to apply a little critical thinking here.

1. Would a local Jewish immigrant write in cockney double-negative?
2. Racial tensions were high at the time, and it's much likelier the graffito was anti-semitic rather than pro-semitic
3. The police were already suspicious of der Juden, and had tried to collar one Jew for the murders (Pizer). There wasn't any need for the killer (if he was a Gentile) to deflect the blame.
4. The antisemitic sentiment of the GSG is one that has been prevalent throughout history, i.e. that the Jews never take responsibility for their crimes.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:48 AM
Casebook Supporter

Hello Harry

Whilst I agree with most of what you say, I'd just point out that double negatives aren't exclusively Cockney, nor peculiar to the English language for that matter.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)