WH Bury Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Columbo View Post
    Thanks, I just looked that up right before I read this.

It's obvious Bury has problems as a suspect, but so do all the others obviously. I find it interesting he was adamant he wasn't JTR.

I know this has been discussed on another thread, but after reading more on Bury I realize now that he could not kill his wife in the JTR method. If he did and tried to claim JTR did it, he would obviously be discovered and accused of the Whitechapel murders.

Columbo
    Columbo!

Have you tried to find out of there are other examples of serialists who killed their own wives along with other victims? There is normally a sharp borderline between domestic killers and killers of strangers.
    Last edited by Fisherman; 11-06-2016, 04:45 AM.

Comment

John Wheat:
      Bury's actions seem to me to be the actions of serial killer who has had a mental breakdown.

Harry D: No argument there, and I'd daresay this is something that puts a lot of people off Bury as a suspect. Such an ignominious end isn't befitting of a legendary serial killer.

Again, look for parallel examples. How common is it for serialists to suffer mental breakdowns and hand themselves over to the police?

Comment

Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
        Hi Colombo

Bury was never adamant he wasn't Jack the Ripper.

Cheers John
        I tried to look that up, and there are many, many sources on the net that say that Bury protested his innocence in the Ripper murders. However, it seems they all have the same source, and are worded exactly the same.
        Do you know the original source for the claim?

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
          Columbo!

Have you tried to find out of there are other examples of serialists who killed their own wives along with other victims? There is normally a sharp borderline between domestic killers and killers of strangers.
          John Christie. There you go.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
            John Christie. There you go.
            Yes, I know - and more?

Comment

Columbo!

Well, John Christie was just put forth, but if the answer to your question is no, does that mean it's ever happened? Of course not, but there are several cases of SKs beating their wives, nearly killing them on occasion. There has to be a first time for everything. Maybe Bury was the first?

Columbo

Comment

Maybe I mis-read but didn't he almost come to tears when he was shown a newspaper or something by his lawyer and was afraid he would be considered a JTR suspect?

Columbo
                I'll find this again for you. I saw something similar on Wikipedia about him, and I lost my link to the other but If I track it down I'll post it.

Columbo

Comment

Yes, I know - and more?
                  Carroll Cole.

And Henry Lee Lucas murdered his common-law wife.

How's that?

Comment

Carroll Cole.

And Henry Lee Lucas murdered his common-law wife.

How's that?
                    That´s three.

To me, that signals that it is a very rare thing.

What does it signal to you?

Comment

That´s three.

To me, that signals that it is a very rare thing.

What does it signal to you?
                      That there's a precedent for this sort of thing, no matter how statistically rare it might be, and therefore Bury cannot be discounted.

Comment

That there's a precedent for this sort of thing, no matter how statistically rare it might be, and therefore Bury cannot be discounted.
                        Yes, there is no law of nature that says that a serialist cannot kill both strangers and his own wife. But I think we knew that from the outset. So it all becomes a question of how common it is. And it is anything but common - it is very, very unusual.

So to expect that Bury was another such person is less likely.

Furthermore, Bury also went to the police and told them about the murder, and serialists who do this are alse very, very rare creatures.

So both of these matters speak very much against Bury as being the Whitechapel killer. And that was what the thread was about, was it not?

Comment

Yes, there is no law of nature that says that a serialist cannot kill both strangers and his own wife. But I think we knew that from the outset. So it all becomes a question of how common it is. And it is anything but common - it is very, very unusual.

Furthermore, Bury also went to the police and told them about the murder, and serialists who do this are alse very, very rare creatures.

So both of these matters speak very much against Bury as being the Whitechapel killer. And that was what the thread was about, was it not?
                          The problem is that Jack the Ripper was very rare.

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
                            The problem is that Jack the Ripper was very rare.
                            Very true Pierre, jack was very rare for his time.

Columbo

Comment

True, but let's hypothesize some. What if he was a multiple personality disorder victim? what if he was a drug addict that blacked out when high.

Everyone knows the biggest challenge with Bury is his admission of guilt and method of killing his wife. Does that completely exonerate him of JTR?

Columbo

Comment

True, but let's hypothesize some. What if he was a multiple personality disorder victim? what if he was a drug addict that blacked out when high.

Everyone knows the biggest challenge with Bury is his admission of guilt and method of killing his wife. Does that completely exonerate him of JTR?

Columbo
                                Hi Colombo

I'm not sure what you mean by admission of guilt. If you mean Bury never admitted being guilty of being JTR this is far from certain. If the chalk messages were written by Bury that could be seen as an admission of guilt and we simply don't know if Bury admitted his guilt to James Berry. Also is the strangulation followed by mutilation of Ellen Bury really a weak point when you consider how few Ripper suspects have a proven history of violence let alone murder with a knife and with similar MO to four of the C5?

Cheers John

Comment

Working...
                                X