X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
    Hi Robert

Would he have known that in advance?
    an awareness of reversing the beat sometimes would suggest someone who knew more about the beats than would be normally expected.

steve

That,s why i,m considering that he observed PC Watkins after the constable came on shift that nite. Jack the Ripper could calculate that the constable will be thru Mitre Square :45 minutes after the hour bc the constable never alters his route after he starts it.

How long was the MSq beat to walk for the constable?

If he observes him at 11:45p and then again at 12:15a (for example), he could be clever enough to know that PC Watkins will be in MSq again at 1:45a.

Aside: He rushes back to Berner St., and murders Elizabeth between 12:30a to 1a; however, i think it would be between 12:45a to 1a bc he may have learned that constable,s beat also.
    there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

Originally posted by Robert St Devil View Post
      That,s why i,m considering that he observed PC Watkins after the constable came on shift that nite. Jack the Ripper could calculate that the constable will be thru Mitre Square :45 minutes after the hour bc the constable never alters his route after he starts it.

How long was the MSq beat to walk for the constable?

If he observes him at 11:45p and then again at 12:15a (for example), he could be clever enough to know that PC Watkins will be in MSq again at 1:45a.

Aside: He rushes back to Berner St., and murders Elizabeth between 12:30a to 1a; however, i think it would be between 12:45a to 1a bc he may have learned that constable,s beat also.
      Hi Robert,

Just knowing where the cops were is not enough. Did he know who was in the square itself; such as George Morris and Richard Pearse or anyone else for that matter? Until he got in there, he would not have known what he was dealing with, as far as witnesses go, and then he made a split decision to kill when the coast was clear.

Comment

Robert

My issue with that is that unless he was aware of the policy of reversing the beat why would he check that night.
        of course without knowing him it is hard to reach a conclusion.

beat times are in an article by gavin bromley in ripperologist 74 & 75 i think.

Jerry

Those points are very true.

steve

Comment

His split decision may require knowing for how long of time the coast would be clear. If he was only going to throat stab Catherine and run off, he would only need a moment for the coast to be clear. Ripping out her kidney is going to require more than a moment.

He might need more than 5 to 10 minutes with a sharp bladed instrument, and knowing what he is doing.
          Last edited by Robert St Devil; 05-14-2016, 01:54 PM.

Comment

His split decision may require knowing for how long of time the coast would be clear. If he was only going to throat stab Catherine and run off, he would only need a moment for the coast to be clear. Ripping out her kidney is going to require more than a moment.
            He may have known George Morris smoked his pipe every night of the week outside the door of Kearly and Tonge, except Saturday nights. I believe this killer was aware of the goings on inside Mitre Square, by experience.

Comment

Originally posted by jerryd View Post
              He may have known George Morris smoked his pipe every night of the week outside the door of Kearly and Tonge, except Saturday nights. I believe this killer was aware of the goings on inside Mitre Square, by experience.
              I concede that point... especially if PC Watkins is the regular constable of the Mitre Square beat in the nights prior. It would mean that Jack the Ripper is risky, not lucky tho.
              Last edited by Robert St Devil; 05-14-2016, 02:05 PM.

Comment

good sense

Hello CD.

"I have never been convinced that Kate met her killer completely by chance. Where did she get the money for her drinks that evening? I think they could have come from her killer and she went back looking for him after her release from jail."

Steady on, mate. You're making good sense.

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

Jerry what do you think are some possibilities that account for the ripper having such an intimate knowledge of mitre square and it's inhabitants?

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                    Hello CD.

"I have never been convinced that Kate met her killer completely by chance. Where did she get the money for her drinks that evening? I think they could have come from her killer and she went back looking for him after her release from jail."

Steady on, mate. You're making good sense.

Cheers.
                    LC
                    It is a mystery that, for a couple who seems so charitable with each other and a woman who offers her last cents to her mate so he can have a bed, Catherine would squander money on getting punch-drunk soused.

Comment

It is a mystery that, for a couple who seems so charitable with each other and a woman who offers her last cents to her mate so he can have a bed, Catherine would squander money on getting punch-drunk soused.
                      Unless she was an alcoholic. Less of a mystery that way.
                      The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Errata View Post
                        Unless she was an alcoholic. Less of a mystery that way.
                        Pretty basic isn't it?
                        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Mmm.
                          Annie Phillips, Kate's daughter, discussing Thomas Conway at inquest;

"[Coroner] Did he live on bad terms with your mother? - Yes, because she used to drink.
                          [Coroner] Have you any idea where Conway is now? - Not the least. He ceased to live with Eddowes entirely on account of her drinking habits. "

Comment

Hi Josh and all. Is Annie Phillips the daughter who dodged Catherine bc of her ,begging, ways? {Man, would i ever love to divert down the path following the ine report in PR of a woman regaining consciousness in a park south of Aldsgate(?) after claiming she had taken a sip out of a stranger,s bottle... but there,s not much there.)

If Kate got herself fool-drunk ttp of semi-consciousness, I would imagine that she would have been drinking at the bar closest to where she was found.

Also, do you think she recovers her sobriety at a normal rate after being knocked-out drunk?

Comment

I agree. And Kate's ex was by all accounts a rabid teetotaller. There is a difference between someone who enjoys a drink and an alchoholic. I think that Kate was by no means as drunk as she appeared. I don't believe there are any reports of her being seen drinking that afternoon/evening.

C4

Comment

Could Catherine have eaten something in addition to breakfast and her supposed drinkingt? The matter is described as feculent, and breakfast was her last known meal before going to jail. If it's more sizeable then her meager breakfast, then we now have a woman who has earned enough money to eat & drink since leaving Kelly.
                                - - - - - - - - - -
                                Where did the farinaceous powder in her stomach come from? Catherine doesn't have any money. What are her options between the jail-house and MSq? The jail's kitchen, soup kitchen, club kitchen, infirm kitchen, church kitchen...

Comment

Working...
                                X