No announcement yet.

The 'new' Ten Bells, 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be doing some night photography in the area next Wednesday, so I think I'll see if the new paint job looks any better under sodium street lighting!

If all else fails, there's always the colour adjust functions in Photoshop!

Andrew

Comment

Given the date that the Ten Bells was built that is a very authentic colour. I like it. So there.
      In order to know virtue, we must first aquaint ourselves with vice!

Comment

I wonder what the 1845 rebuilt pub looked like at that time? Did it have painted plaster finishes or did it feature an original stone colour?

Still prefer white though!

So there...

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by AmmanValleyJack View Post
          on my rare haunts to the east end i always used to go to the ten bells as my starting point and always got excited at dragging along friends with no interest whatsoever about the case or the east end. it always set the scene for them and i was oddly proud of it. i loved how ruined it was. im like that, the more ruined something is the more i like it. now im not so sure, i know im going to hate the new one. i know it. real tears. i want broken **** graffitied stairs down to the toilet dammit
          after seeing the up to date pics, videos and paint job, i stand by my earlier quote

Comment

Originally posted by KatBradshaw View Post
            I like it. So there.
            I like your attitude, Kat. Your colour sense? Well, maybe not as much.

Comment

Have you all seen this?

Interesting!!

Comment

No matter how bad the Teb Bells ever was it could never be as bad as "Public Life" which is a sort of club, but started life as an underground toilet. Oh dear.

Your local guide, with reviews and recommendations for the best pubs and bars, restaurants, clubs, hotels, cinemas and whats on and offers in your local area

Comment

Hey going to my first ever pilgrimage to Whitechapel in a few weeks. Want to know if the Ten Bells do food and if they do is it good food ? Thanks.

Comment

Ahhh, something less contentious...

Hi Garza

As far as I know, the Ten Bells doesn't do food and hasn't for many years. Unless they do it in the reinstated upstairs bar, but I couldn't say as I have not been up there yet.

The White Hart on Whitechapel High Street does smashing grub though.

JB

Comment

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
                      Hi Garza

As far as I know, the Ten Bells doesn't do food and hasn't for many years. Unless they do it in the reinstated upstairs bar, but I couldn't say as I have not been up there yet.

The White Hart on Whitechapel High Street does smashing grub though.

JB
                      Did Ten Bells and other pubs in Whitechapel and Spitalfields serve food in1888?
                      Neil "Those who forget History are doomed to repeat it." - Santayana

Comment

There was a story in the Metro the other week about a great big persistent puddle outside the Ten Bells, that you have to literally jump over if you want to avoid wet shoes (obviously it does dry up when the weather is good, whenever that is). I think there was a dispute over responsibility for the drains and it was somehow resolved – Transport for London has to fix them, or something. I was going to reproduce the story but forgot and threw the paper away.
                        It made me wonder what had caused the blockage...
                        The Ten Bells was also briefly shut at the time – they were doing some sort of carpentry inside.
                        There are loads of eateries over the road in Spitalfields Market, particularly at lunchtime. Also I can recommend the Happy Days Fish and Chip Restaurant (Goulston Street graffiti venue) – 5 minutes walk away.

Comment

Pubs

Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
                          There was a story in the Metro the other week about a great big persistent puddle outside the Ten Bells, that you have to literally jump over if you want to avoid wet shoes (obviously it does dry up when the weather is good, whenever that is). I think there was a dispute over responsibility for the drains and it was somehow resolved – Transport for London has to fix them, or something. I was going to reproduce the story but forgot and threw the paper away.
                          It made me wonder what had caused the blockage...
                          The Ten Bells was also briefly shut at the time – they were doing some sort of carpentry inside.
                          There are loads of eateries over the road in Spitalfields Market, particularly at lunchtime. Also I can recommend the Happy Days Fish and Chip Restaurant (Goulston Street graffiti venue) – 5 minutes walk away.
                          Great information and should I get over there anytime soon will be most useful. Do you know if public houses served food in t 1888? Here in New York, taverns were required to serve food frombefore the Civl War and I'm just curious if Pubs did also. Thanks for your response also.

Comment

Originally posted by YankeeSergeant View Post
                            Great information and should I get over there anytime soon will be most useful. Do you know if public houses served food in t 1888? Here in New York, taverns were required to serve food frombefore the Civl War and I'm just curious if Pubs did also. Thanks for your response also.
                            I believe that there is a different meaning in 'Tavern' than 'Pub.' My understanding is that Beer Halls didn't serve food and actually allowed people to take food in with them that had been bought elsewhere. Taverns and Inns often did serve food as they were used by travellers moving from place to place. These places also often offered cheap accomodation as well. After Henry VIII closed the monasteries the Inns and Taverns took up the trade which the monastery hospitals had once provided. Hospitals, of course, originally provided hospitality and ill people went to the infirmary.

Comment

Taverns

Originally posted by KatBradshaw View Post
                              I believe that there is a different meaning in 'Tavern' than 'Pub.' My understanding is that Beer Halls didn't serve food and actually allowed people to take food in with them that had been bought elsewhere. Taverns and Inns often did serve food as they were used by travellers moving from place to place. These places also often offered cheap accomodation as well. After Henry VIII closed the monasteries the Inns and Taverns took up the trade which the monastery hospitals had once provided. Hospitals, of course, originally provided hospitality and ill people went to the infirmary.
                              Kate; Thanks for your response. Especially since I'm looking from an American persepective. WOuld Ten Bells serve food or not? It's a minotr point but I am striving for as much hhistorical accuracy in my novel as possible. Again thnaks, Neil

Comment

Originally posted by YankeeSergeant View Post
                                Kate; Thanks for your response. Especially since I'm looking from an American persepective. WOuld Ten Bells serve food or not? It's a minotr point but I am striving for as much hhistorical accuracy in my novel as possible. Again thnaks, Neil
                                As it is a Beer House I would have thought, no.

Comment

Working...
                                X