The 'new' Ten Bells, 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 'new' Ten Bells, 2010

The Ten Bells has, for the last week or so, been undergoing extensive refitting. Not only is the bar being completely refurbished, but a restaurant and other function rooms are being put in upstairs.

Here's the work so far; new doors being put in where the old victims board used to be..
    Click image for larger version

Name:	TenBells refurb6 2010.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	670637

And a montaged view of the main bar area -

Name:	TenBells refurb whole 2010.jpg
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	670638

I have been told that the pub would have had this sort of layout back in the old days (ie 19th century).

One of the builders told me that the new-look pub will re-open on Friday. I just hope the loos are sorted out

JB

Crikey thats a shock! The bar is gone as we knew it! Im glad I was there not so long ago then - at that point the barman told me they were just putting in a fire-escape for upstairs, didnt say anything about the bar being changed and the new door etc - hope they dont ruin the tiled picture in the corner! Wonder if they will have both doors now then or just the one? Why the change I wonder? I wonder if they will give the outside a paint too!! God knows it needs it. I know the place is pretty rundown but I cant help but love it for some reason - I really hope this doesnt ruin any atmosphere that was left in the place!
    Pic of me last time I was there in September. Now you all have an idea what I look like come say hello if you ever see me in there.
    Attached Files

Comment

on my rare haunts to the east end i always used to go to the ten bells as my starting point and always got excited at dragging along friends with no interest whatsoever about the case or the east end. it always set the scene for them and i was oddly proud of it. i loved how ruined it was. im like that, the more ruined something is the more i like it. now im not so sure, i know im going to hate the new one. i know it. real tears. i want broken **** graffitied stairs down to the toilet dammit

Comment

Originally posted by AmmanValleyJack View Post
        i want broken **** graffitied stairs down to the toilet dammit
        Give it a fortnight after relaunch.

O

Comment

Thanks for the info, John. I really like your shot of the interior. If they keep the mural, there's not much I'll miss about the old place, especially the khazi.

Comment

I don't think they can touch the tiles (something to do with the listing), unless they cover them over. But I believe that back in the day there were doors where the new ones are now. Still, I hate the fact that the pub will never be mine. Or my "home away from home" again...

Comment

Just went and had a look a couple hours ago - there are quite a few guys working on it but I think they will struggle to have it open tomorrow - half the pumps werent even in and the bar didnt look much different to the picture at the start of the thread - but I did see one guy sanding down the wall outside, who knows - they might even paint it!! I guess the scaffolding will be there for a bit though if they are working on upstairs too.
              Attached Files

Comment

Ahhh no!
                Tell me this isnt happening, I loved the Ten Bells in all its Miserable glory...toilets and all.

I just know Im going to hate the new one.
                Do we know if the victim sighn is going to stay?

Comment

What exactly was the victims sign?

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by spyglass View Post
                    Ahhh no!
                    Tell me this isnt happening, I loved the Ten Bells in all its Miserable glory...toilets and all.

I just know Im going to hate the new one.
                    Do we know if the victim sighn is going to stay?
                    Sorry to dissapoint - but that went years ago!

Comment

Be careful what you wish for...

Funny how things turn out - reading the last few posts, I think there may be a few surprised folks out there.

Apologies for the poor quality, but this is a view through the window at 8.25 this evening. Welcome back?

Name:	TenBells.jpg
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	661198

Comment

Is the Ten Bells reclaiming back their Jack the Ripper heritage? Hopefully they will do it respectfully.

Comment

WTF! I never expected to see that there - is it under new management or something? Whats the deal - anyone know?
                          Im going up there on Sunday and will see if I can find some answers !!

Comment

woah!!

Breaking news. The sign is now plain BLACK. More info and hopefully pics to follow later

Comment

At first sight, I thought the man in Adam's photograph was part of the picture on the wall... I was wondering what he doing here... oops, it's time to eat and sleep now !

Comment

Working...
                              X