Profiling: Essential reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grim View Post
    If you are going to make absurd claims such as this could you at least back it up with theories, evidence or proof?

Thank you.
    Regardless of whether geographical profiling is bunkum or not, it is pretty pointless with the Ripper murders.

We cannot say with any certainty which victims are by 'the same hand'.

Comment

Hi Capps,

To be fair, if the killer merely had to retrace his steps to the main road where he had picked up his victim only a short time previously, he could have been one of the faceless many again by the time the body was discovered.

In those circumstances, I would give the inner and outer a better chance of remaining uncaught than the inner and inner, given the house-to-house searches. If we believe Anderson, Jack was caught. If we don't, maybe he wasn't caught because he didn't hang around to be caught. Simple and effective.

Love,

Caz
      X
      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Hi Caz,

In those circumstances, I would give the inner and outer a better chance of remaining uncaught than the inner and inner, given the house-to-house searches.
        No.

Most serial killers who operate within a small circumscribed locality invariably have a base centrally located to their crimes. In the aftermath of the Eddowes murder, the killer headed back in the direction of the heart of the murder district, not away from it, and there are strong indications that he took the more obscure alleyways to get there. House to house searches would hardly have presented a problem unless the killer was clumy enough to leave incriminating evidence lying around, especially if he lived in a lodging house. The strong probability is that he lived at least within easy walking distance of his crimes.

Best regards,
        Ben

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
          I'm not sure I get the logic.
          Hi Caz,

Obviously, there is something in what you say, but what I meant was the following.

If JtR came by train, then picked up his victims, bloodily killed them out in the streets, then had to wait around for the train back home, in comparison to a local man he would significantly have lenghened the time he was out and about in the district, in his 'murder clothes' carrying knife and trophies, before he could get to his home where he could finally clean up. Back in those days, this was the most risky period for a killer such as the Ripper - or any killer for that matter. If he wasn't caught in that period, there was a very good chance he wouldn't be caught at all, despite whatever house-to-house searches. Unless the police would catch Jack in the act or on his way home, he would confess, or would be recognised by a witness, there was no way the police could prove anything.

All the best,
          Frank
          Last edited by FrankO; 03-29-2009, 03:38 PM.
          "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
          Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Comment

Working...
          X