Ripper-tour with Henry Moore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
    I have ben doing the same here, but the decent articles are few and far between. There was some stuff in the Swedish and Norwegian newspapers around the Stride murder (naturally enough), but "interviews" with policemen etc, ...nothing so far.

Phil
    No matter, Phil : the way the JtR murders have been reported in Scandinavia is interesting in itself, isn't it ?

The same for France... Although there is a bit more : most articles about Joseph Vacher refer (briefly) to Jack. Nice stuff too.

Amitiés,
    David

edit : Joseph... Why do rippers are all Joseph....?
    Last edited by DVV; 01-26-2010, 03:28 AM. Reason: who knows ? I don't.

Comment

One was named Jean.

This one is another French "Jack the Ripper"

Comment

Hello David,

A lot of the articles are requotes and rewrites of the original London or British newspapers- I am specifically on the lookout for reporters sent over from Scandinavia...

I am looking into all the archives at The National Library at the moment, and have a few people doing exactly that for me in their spare moments... it's a hell's own job, the basement cellars are not in the best of order, apparently, which in itself gives me some hope.

best wishes

Phil
        Last edited by Phil Carter; 01-26-2010, 03:41 AM.
        Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
        Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
          One was named Jean.

This one is another French "Jack the Ripper"

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread....auga#post71655
          Hi Howard,

didn't know this fellow...
          A quick search on the web just told me he had killed 10 old women...
          Was he really a ripper, though ? Couldn't find the details of his crimes...

He has been guillotined in December 1889, apparently...

And his skull has been sold by auction in June 2008 !!!

Amitiés,
          David

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
            Jason,
            With the utmost respect,
            It isn't the ONLY example of it happening is it?

And it doesn't explain why the man SUPPOSEDLY in charge of the Whitechapel murders case CAN'T remember the difference between MJK's disgusting, all body mutilations, and a Torso with a missing head? And then on top of his "entrails hanging over the chair" stuff in 1889?

That went to an American newspaper. Can't lose that in translation.

best wishes

Phil
            I havent seen this American newspaper story. Can you post it.

Comment

Was Moore in Miller's Court on 9 November ?
              Can't find any reference.

Amitiés,
              David

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post

On the 7 August 1888, there was found on the first floor landing, next door to the toilets ("à côté des lieux d'aisances"), the body of Martha Turner, stabbed with 39 wounds.
                I didn't know that her body was found "next door to the toilets" - has someone read this detail before ?

As pointed out by R. Clack and Ph. Hutchinson : "it is difficult today to understand the plan of the building and unfortunately there are no known internal images of it..." (The London of JtR, then and now, p 31).

Amitiés all,
                David

Comment

Sorry to be reviving this, but I think the most interesting aspect is that the police at the time clearly thought Martha Tabram and the Pinchin Street Torso were part of the series. Not least because I do as well! I presume that they would have included Alice McKenzie as well had the French tourists continued their expedition, and the report said there were nine victims.
                  So who was the other one?
                  Emma Smith or Rose Mylett?
                  Also the report clears up a lot of details about the Martha Tabram case that had caused a great deal of confusion on the Tabram threads.

Comment

Working...
                  X