Plotting the 1888 Kelly Postal Directory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a different approach

I can make distribution maps of any of the categories listed at the beginning of this thread. I will post only requests. Dave
    We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

Skilled Artisans.

My Great, Great Grandfather lived at 62, Berner Street for over 10 years at least. He is listed in different census as 'Cabinet Maker', 'Auctioneer' & 'Furniture Broker'. They are at 62, Berner Street in the 1871 &1881 Census' but have gone 'Upmarket' to Hoxton by the 1891 census. A family home in the middle of a red light area? I'd love to know more about Berner Street back then.

I'm fascinated to know whether or not, the slaying of Liz Stride a few doors down prompted the move!

My Grandfather was born in Hoxton in 1899 and as a very young boy, his mother warned him about staying out past 'bedtime' cos, 'The Ripper will get you'.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoxton Creeper View Post
        My Great, Great Grandfather lived at 62, Berner Street for over 10 years at least. He is listed in different census as 'Cabinet Maker', 'Auctioneer' & 'Furniture Broker'. They are at 62, Berner Street in the 1871 &1881 Census' but have gone 'Upmarket' to Hoxton by the 1891 census. A family home in the middle of a red light area? I'd love to know more about Berner Street back then.
        You may find this description from the Booth survey "Police Notebooks," dated 10 March 1898, interesting:

Comment

Hello Hoxton Creeper, I am not up on the local history yet, here is the listing for Berner Street in the 1888 postal directory. Dave
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Chris & Dave!

Dave, that last listing, the chemist is that 62 or 82 d'ya think?
            Last edited by Hoxton Creeper; 11-16-2010, 04:54 PM. Reason: Typo!

Comment

That would be an 82 HC. Dave

Comment

Working...
              X