No announcement yet.

1888 Chamber of Horrors in Whitechapel and the London Hospital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not being funny, but has a post from Mike suddenly been "pulled" from here...I was about to comment on it, (and in particular on the Latin tag included within), but very abruptly it's gone...

Dave

Comment

Hi Dave,

I don't think so. I did post on three different threads today. Could it be one of the others?

Mike
      The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
      http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

Oh ok...perhaps I'm mistaken

Cheers

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by mklhawley View Post
          Hi Observer,

You are correct on the siri shop, however, the Chamber of Horrors, was on the corner of Thomas Street. Did it change to Fulbourne Street? Here's a picture of it:

[ATTACH]15276[/ATTACH]

Sincerely,
          Mike
          Hi Mike

Yes it changed to Fulbourne Street, it's now an Indian clothes shop.

Regards

Observer

Comment

As I said in an earlier post the building which occupies the site where the Chamber of Horrors once stood looked to me to be built in the 1930's, it is indeed older than this. It was here in this building that the 1907 Bolshevik Congress was held. It was a social club at that time. In attendance was a who's who of the leading lights of the Bolshovik movement, Lenin, Trotsky, Stalin, Zinoviev, Kamenev, Nogin, Bogdanov, Tomsky and others.

Regards

Observer

Comment

Originally posted by Observer View Post
              As I said in an earlier post the building which occupies the site where the Chamber of Horrors once stood looked to me to be built in the 1930's, it is indeed older than this. It was here in this building that the 1907 Bolshevik Congress was held. It was a social club at that time. In attendance was a who's who of the leading lights of the Bolshovik movement, Lenin, Trotsky, Stalin, Zinoviev, Kamenev, Nogin, Bogdanov, Tomsky and others.

Regards

Observer
              Hi Observer,

So, would you say that this building was built after 1888, or could this be the same building that the Chamber of Horrors was in?

Sincerely,
              Mike

Comment

This place, right?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chamber of Horrors Now.gif
Views:	1
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	664952

Comment

It's interesting that the corner of this building matches the building in the 1894 map on post 13.

Mike

Comment

Hi Observer,

It also seems to match the building in this 1890 Good Map.

Name:	1890 Good Map.jpg
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	664953

Comment

Hi Mike.

Yes indeed that's the building. As you say the corner of the building (it being recessed) mirror's the Goad map. I do believe it's the same building. The article I read regarding the Boloshovik congress said that the club in which the meetings took place was accessed through a door in the side of the buildin in Fulbourne Street. If you look at the Goads, you'll see that the club is clearly marked, the door was obviously in Fulbourne Street, as indicated in the article. What threw me as regards the age of the building was the large windows, but of course if could have been a manufactory building.

Regards Observer
                      Last edited by Observer; 05-08-2013, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Here is a photograph I took some years back

Name:	lenin house reduced.jpg
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	664954

Observer
                        Last edited by Observer; 05-08-2013, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Great job Observer! So, if the proprietor of the Chamber of Horrors hired some Jack to kill these women in order to increase sales, then maybe we should go to the Indian clothes shop and ask them if we could search the basement wallboards and floorboards in order to find the Whitechapel fiend's knife

It looks like no one was living in the second floor,

Another establishment, bearing some distant relation to one of the plastic arts, is situate at a street corner nearly opposite the democratic picture-shop, within a vigorous stone's-throw of the London Hospital. It is no exaggeration to say that the most remarkable waxworks of this or any other age are now on view in a western section of the Whitechapel-road. This amazing exhibition occupies the ground floor and cellarage of a frowsy two-storeyed house, the upper floor of which appears to be unoccupied.(The Daily Telegraph, November 29, 1888)

How interesting that the Star and Garter Pub had a reward for catching the Ripper in its window,

Out again into the great thoroughfare, back a little way past the roaring salesman and the hideous waxwork, and round the corner. This opening here, where the public-house, the bar of which looks to be full of mothers with children in their arms, blazes at the corner, leads down to Buck’s Row. Nobody about here seems at all conscious of the recent tragedy, the only suggestion of which is a bill in the public-house window, offering, on behalf of an enterprising newspaper, a reward of a hundred pounds for the conviction of the criminal... ((3 November 1888, Littell's Living Age) From the Daily News)

Sincerely,
                          Mike

Comment

Hi Mike

You read my mind, next time I'm down that way perhaps I could gain entry to the building, old poster's and flyers come to mind but not 6 inch knive's haha.

What throws me a bit regarding if it is the original building is the reference to a two- storyeed frowsy house. I don't know about you but those windows look a trifle large for the building to have been a dwelling house. It was certainly there in 1907 though. I'd known Lenin et al had attended meetings in a house in Fulbourne Street, but I didn't think for one moment it was the building in question.

Regards

Observer
                            Last edited by Observer; 05-08-2013, 03:10 PM.

Comment

http://sarahjyoung.com/site/2011/01/...-london-lenin/

Observer

Comment

Interesting site Observer. Lenin looks so young. With the Goad map stating club at that exact location, plus the recessed entrance, it sure seems like the same place.

...at the farther end of a darksome cellar, connected with the ground-floor room by a rickety corkscrew staircase.

The rickety corkscrew staircase is most likely gone. I wonder if this cellar entrance is quite small, designed to fit just a corkscrew staircase?

Sincerely,
                                Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X