Data Mining to locate the Ripper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evidence of Opinion

And you full well know that evidence of opinion is admissable if given by experts.
    True, but an expert witness can only give evidence of opinion within his or her field of expertise. Also such evidence can only be presented as what it is - evidence of opinion, not evidence of fact.

Regards, Bridewell.
    Last edited by Bridewell; 06-13-2012, 04:25 PM. Reason: insert 'evidence' before 'of fact'
    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Hot chocolate Trevor?

That's a fatal combination, your speech and hot chocolate. I shall be snoozing after 60 seconds.

Sorry to disappoint you old son but I'm not actually going solely to hear you talk. As for you not loosing sleep, well, we both know that's not entirely true is it?

Not judging by the frantic Emails to some making enquiries of my attendence and my views.

You're doing your homework on me. That is very wise.

Monty
      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
        True, but an expert witness can only give evidence of opinion within his or her field of expertise. Also such evidence can only be presented as what it is - evidence of opinion, not evidence of fact.

Regards, Bridewell.
        Thank you Colin,

For explaining it so much clearer to Trevor than I obviously can.

Monty
        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Hi Trevor,

As you know, MacNaghten wasn't even a police officer in 1888. Anderson took nominal charge on 31st August, but was out of the country for most of the Autumn of Terror and was in London only for the Kelly murder. Weigh their credibility as police officers against that of Swanson who, at Warren's insistence, had sight of every single document (except perhaps those relating solely to Eddowes). Forget rank. Who has credibility on this? Swanson.

Regards, Bridewell.
          I would agree but the issue was corroboration Anderson corrobotating Macnaghten who started all of this fiasco off. Macnaghtens memo unreliable to the point of being incorrect. Swanson allegedly corroboating Anderson in the questionable marginalia

Not a single scrap of corroboration to any of what they said or wrote in any police or official file.

Where is the credibilty in that ?

Comment

Regards, Bridewell.
            No but evidence of opinion can corroborate fact

and I think a forensic pathologist a consulatnt gynecologist and an enviscetrator are expert witnesses when it comes to giving opinions with regards to the human body both dead and alive and the removal of organs.
            Last edited by Trevor Marriott; 06-13-2012, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Hi Bridewell,

At the instigation of Sir Charles Warren, Chief Inspector Swanson acted as a sort of clearing house for information on the Whitechapel murders. He also acted as liaison with the City Police. He was eventually relieved of this task in December 1888, but that's by the by.

So if we're going to invest Swanson with maximum credibility, all the top cops [to whom Swanson was reporting] should have been singing from the same charge sheet.

Swanson's list of victims spanned Emma Smith and Frances Coles, with Kelly coming in at victim No.7, so why did his evaluation of the situation finally end up at odds with those of his superiors?

Also by the by is Monro's old indigo-planting buddy, Melville Leslie Macnaghten, having been living in London throughout the Whitechapel murders.

I'm certain the Commissioner-in-waiting and the Assistant Chief Constable-in-waiting had much to discuss whilst the former was out of the way at the Home Office.

Regards,

Simon
              Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

All posters are requested to heed the rule:

1. Don't hijack threads with theory bias or with other off topic commentary.
                The purpose of this thread was to discuss whether data mining could help locate Jack the Ripper. Hijacking it to argue there never was a Ripper is against the stated intention of the thread and off-topic and therefore against the rules.

If you would like to argue that there never was a Ripper, you may begin a thread and debate it but please do not derail someone else's discussion because of your own theory bias.

In addition, keep the personal arguments and posturing off the boards.

Thank you.
                Last edited by Admin; 06-13-2012, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Hi All,

Bringing the thread back to where it's supposed to be:

I can't see Data Mining identifying the Ripper directly. Researching the lives of the personalities involved might get us somewhere indirectly though. The victims and some suspects have been subject to comprehensive research but, in some case anyway, the witnesses rather less so. There is new material out there still, so I think it's worthwhile continuing the dig.

Regards, Bridewell.
                  I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Working...
                  X