Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - by Wickerman 2 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - by etenguy 5 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by RockySullivan 5 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Fisherman 6 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Fisherman 6 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by RockySullivan 10 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (14 posts)
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - (7 posts)
General Discussion: Albert Backert - did he emigrate? - (3 posts)
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - (2 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Was Ernest Dowson Jack the Ripper? - (2 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Letters and Communications > Goulston Street Graffito

View Poll Results: Did Jack write the GSG?
YES 75 38.66%
NO 119 61.34%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2015, 04:58 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
Nobody said she took out a pack of sweets in the middle of an attack. That's just a red herring.

Anybody can be eating sweets before being accousted. No mystery. Same way anyone can be doing anything they want actually. There is nothing to stop you or anyone else having a mint before someone commits a crime.
But according to Scwartz's evidence she wasn't "eating sweets" prior to being accosted! Even if she was I doubt she managed to hold on to them whilst being dragged into the street! Even if she did I very much doubt that she would have held on to them whilst subsequently being thrown down on to the footway! Even if she did, I very much doubt that she would have been able to hang onto them whilst being dragged into the pitch-black darkness of Dutfileld's Yard! In fact, at the very least, something tells me that other more pressing matters would be occupying her mind at this stage, like escaping the clutches of her assailant, a man who could be JtR!

Mind you, to be fair that would explain why no one else was remotely aware of this struggle taking place, i.e. Fanny Mortimer, Mrs D. She was obviously more concerned with holding on to the cachous than fighting for her life or crying for help!

Last edited by John G : 04-25-2015 at 05:11 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:04 AM
Premium Member
Inspector

In that book Begg didn't favour any suspect all. He actually concluded it didn't matter.

How was Schwartz to know she was holding sweets or not? He doesn't give that level of detail.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:12 AM
Premium Member
Inspector

Default Is this a mystery?

A smoker is found dead like Stride after a few beers. Imagine there is a cigarette pack in his hand and some spilled out.

A witness passed by and didn't see the man smoking but saw him being struck by another man a few minutes before his body was found three feet away in a yard through an open gate. So are we to assume that because the witness didn't see him smoking that the witness is wrong about something?

No, because the witness has allowed the freedom for the individual to be able to hold something small in their hands because they didn't notice them carrying anything.

If the witness said the person was holding two bags or a guitar or something in each hand then we might have something to talk about, but it wouldn't be that the person who struck them wasn't likely to be same person who killed them, but why the posing of the cigarettes?

Maybe when she freaked after the first attack BSman tried to calm her down, say he was sorry, offer her a bribe of money and sweets. Maybe she acted like he would go away and she could raise the alarm. There you have another situation where BSman killed her and has explanatory power.

Last edited by Batman : 04-25-2015 at 05:15 AM.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:19 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
In that book Begg didn't favour any suspect all. He actually concluded it didn't matter.

How was Schwartz to know she was holding sweets or not? He doesn't give that level of detail.
Well he certainly recorded a lot of other detail! In fact, if he didn't get a clear look at Stride from the front, which would have meant that, at the very least, he must have seen that she was holding something in her hand, how did he know it was Stride that was assaulted? I mean, it could have been anybody. And what about the multitude of problems with Stride holding on to the cachous, that I referred to in my previous post? And how did this drunken fool not wake up half the neighbourhood, not to say Fanny Mortimer and Mrd D, neither of whom heard a thing? And do you really think that such a person could remotely be JtR? Isn't what Scwartz claimed he witnessed far more consistent with a common domestic dispute?

I think it fair to say that Kosminski was Paul B's favoured suspect, just as Chapman was Sugden's. Quote: "Whether or not ...Kosminski was Jack the Ripper is unknown and will probably always remain so, but it appears that Sir Robert Anderson and...Swanson believed he was. They were there and they were in a position to know." (Begg, 2004)

Last edited by John G : 04-25-2015 at 05:31 AM.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:35 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
A smoker is found dead like Stride after a few beers. Imagine there is a cigarette pack in his hand and some spilled out.

A witness passed by and didn't see the man smoking but saw him being struck by another man a few minutes before his body was found three feet away in a yard through an open gate. So are we to assume that because the witness didn't see him smoking that the witness is wrong about something?

No, because the witness has allowed the freedom for the individual to be able to hold something small in their hands because they didn't notice them carrying anything.

If the witness said the person was holding two bags or a guitar or something in each hand then we might have something to talk about, but it wouldn't be that the person who struck them wasn't likely to be same person who killed them, but why the posing of the cigarettes?

Maybe when she freaked after the first attack BSman tried to calm her down, say he was sorry, offer her a bribe of money and sweets. Maybe she acted like he would go away and she could raise the alarm. There you have another situation where BSman killed her and has explanatory power.
Maybe he also offered to buy her an ice cream and take her to a trip to the circus as long as she would remain silent and just accompany him into the darkened passage, where he had a nice surprise waiting! Without making a sound, of course!

Last edited by John G : 04-25-2015 at 05:39 AM.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:39 AM
Commisioner

Default help

Hello Harry. Thanks.

"What was Schwartz's motive for inventing 'BSM'?"

Helping out the lads at the club.

Cheers.
LC
Old 04-25-2015, 05:41 AM
Commisioner

Default excellent questions

Hello John. Excellent questions.

Cheers.
LC
Old 04-25-2015, 05:45 AM
Commisioner

Default thanks

Hello (again) John. Thanks for the kind words.

Cheers.
LC
Old 04-25-2015, 05:48 AM
Detective

This subject of the mints is quite ironic to me. I don't understand why the simple solution of, she was carrying them in her hand, is suppose to be too far out there to be true.

I talked to my cousin last night, who was a Paramedic for over 20 years in a major metro city, just to ask her if she's ever seen people holding onto random objects after they had been killed. She had multiple stories of arriving to murder scenes with people still having a cell phone in their hand. She said one person still had an apple they were eating before being bludgeoned in the back of the head. But the saddest and craziest was a little girl who committed suicide by hanging who still had a bottle of finger nail polish in her hand (the bottle had no significance to anyone).

After hearing these stories I realized having a pack of mints in your hand is actually pretty tame in comparison.

Last edited by Dane_F : 04-25-2015 at 05:50 AM.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:54 AM
Commisioner

Default simple retort

Hello Dane.

"I don't understand why the simple solution of, she was carrying them in her hand, is suppose to be too far out there to be true."

Simply because IF BSM had thrown her to the ground, it would have dislodged them.

Cheers.
LC