Burka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burka

What do folk think about the great burka bust-up? If I were a Moslem woman, I wouldn't wear one - how can you have a fag with one of those on?

...or get a word in edgeways? That would be a disaster for most women.

I'll try one on and see.

Mumble mumble mmmph mumble mumble...

[Right, it's coming off again]

...and another thing...oh blast, hubby is telling me to stop yapping and come for a stiff G&T.

Love,

Caz
    X
    "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

cheaper than botox though...
      http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Caz, you know very well that if they really can't talk in those things, they will communicate by semaphore or with an aldis lamp.

Comment

Robert -I've always smoked 40 a day whilst wearing mine...it did once go up in flames at the 'Dog Races' though...
          http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
            What do folk think about the great burka bust-up? If I were a Moslem woman, I wouldn't wear one - how can you have a fag with one of those on?
            In Qatar I used to see women sitting on the wall along the Corniche, niqab hanging on a piece of elastic round their neck, smoking a Davidoff. I think there are laws against that here.
            best,

claire

Comment

Hi Ruby and Claire

I've seen them covered from head to toe, and at the bottom....they're wearing trainers. Kind of destroys the effect.

I certainly wouldn't ban the wearing of it in ordinary places like the street. It's up to them what they wear. I'm only surprised that there aren't a variety of colours and styles.

Comment

Hmm Burkas

I know let's recycle themYou could get at least two Boob Tubes and a Mini Skirt out of every one

It could be the new reality Tv sensation Pimp My Burka

Comment

In many cases, the wearing of the Burka is the woman's choice. It kind of gives them the opportunity to be judged for themselves in their own right and not for what they look like. It's a kind of freedom.

However, in other ways, the motive for wearing it is kind of disrespectful to men because it implies men cannot be trusted to see an attractive woman without desiring her.

There should be more education about the purpose and function of the Burka and women should wear it from choice. I am not totally in favour of a ban - but on the other hand, if a country decides they are not in keeping with that country's culture and ideology then I think they have the right to ban them - just as women walking the streets of some Muslim countries are required to cover themselves in keeping with the local culture and ideology.

Comment

The husband of any woman who choses to wear a niqab or a burkha should also have to wear one in exactly the same situations as his wife.

That surely is the meaning of an equal and diverse society.

Phil

Comment

I wish my missus would wear a burka.

Graham
                      We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post

There should be more education about the purpose and function of the Burka and women should wear it from choice. I am not totally in favour of a ban - but on the other hand, if a country decides they are not in keeping with that country's culture and ideology then I think they have the right to ban them - just as women walking the streets of some Muslim countries are required to cover themselves in keeping with the local culture and ideology.
                        Surely the culture of most western countries is all about the freedom to choose, so a ban preventing women from wearing the burka if they choose to would be just as anti-cultural as a law requiring them to wear one.

It would be interseting to know why some women choose to wear one though since, although I don't claim to be an Islamic expert, muslims I know have said the Quran doesn't require women to be covered from head to foot merely to dress modestly.
                        If a woman apparently chooses to wear the burka is it entirely a free choice or the result of years of interpretation by male clerics?
                        Interestingly some major shopping complexes have bans in effect against 'hoodies' does the same apply to covering the face with a burka and would anti race laws allow it .

Comment

Originally posted by Phil H View Post
                          The husband of any woman who choses to wear a niqab or a burkha should also have to wear one in exactly the same situations as his wife.

That surely is the meaning of an equal and diverse society.

Phil
                          Well said.

Soapbox Time as a woman I find the Islamic religion particularly insulting.Islamic women are indoctrinated from birth to believe they have to wear these appalling garments.In some countries now it is not a choice it is law.Even foreign women visiting these countries are expected to follow the dress laws.In some of the more extreme countries it is against the law for a woman to show her face in public.

Comment

Surely the culture of most western countries is all about the freedom to choose, so a ban preventing women from wearing the burka if they choose to would be just as anti-cultural as a law requiring them to wear one.

Surely the culture of British and "most western cultures" is founded on being able to see the open face of whomever one is talking to? To be able to look into their eyes, to see the honesty (or lack of it) there?

Coverings such as the burkha are an affront to women - would we tolerate forced marriages, human sacrifice, cruelty to animals if practised in the name of an oriental or other religeon? If not then we should not tolerate inequality - when that is being enforced on all other elements of society in terms of pay and rights.

Neither do I like the inference, touched on in another post, that I amd other men cannot look on a oman without impure thoughts, lust etc etc.

I don't particularly condone the French approach, but we need to be careful in regard to the precedent being set (expectations being raised) to the end that we come to have multiple legal systems (sharia law) etc. If you can have that, why not communities that can bring back hanging or practiise sexual harassment or prejudice against woman/gays etc?

I ask questions, I have no answers.

Phil

Comment

Phil, I did not mean men could not look at a woman without desire or lust, I meant the opposite. To me, aspect of wearing the Burka IMPLIes (ie suggests) that men cannot look at a woamn's face without desire and I was saying that this is unfair to men.

I beleive that the Burka is only unfair to women if it is forced onto them. If they wear it as a choice, then it is acceptable to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X