Some information about bawdy-houses in 19th century London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Jeff.

Good one. I saw him once busily welding together a trailer for his car.
    My enquiries were by no means extensive, but I had reasonable grounds to suspect where the steel came from.
    Come to think of it, I have my doubts about the source of the welding equipment.
    As you would expect, when it closed down he blamed ' the bloody management'.
    Probably why I can never quite get behind the cause of the poor oppressed worker.

All the best.

Comment

A few years ago (quite a few actually) I knew a lorry driver who was regularly in and out of the Patent Shaft. They used to give him regular ‘backhanders’ to take out little ‘additions’ to his load.

I think a lot of the employees were visually impaired as this guy used to talk about ‘blind eyes’ quite a lot
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

I've an idea that the Vikings simply carried their boats when they couldn't use them.

Comment

Hi Herlock

I'm not sure they ever solved the mystery of who stole the two large stone balls that sat atop the entrance to the war memorial. They must have weighed a ton.
          I have vague memories of councillor Bill Archer making a statement in the Express and Star. Ufo's may or may not have been involved.
          Throw in regular prosecutions for somebody nicking the cable from the Metro and it can be argued that over the years someone has been stealthily stealing the entire town.

All the best.

Comment

Originally posted by martin wilson View Post
            Hi Herlock

I'm not sure they ever solved the mystery of who stole the two large stone balls that sat atop the entrance to the war memorial. They must have weighed a ton.
            I have vague memories of councillor Bill Archer making a statement in the Express and Star. Ufo's may or may not have been involved.
            Throw in regular prosecutions for somebody nicking the cable from the Metro and it can be argued that over the years someone has been stealthily stealing the entire town.

All the best.
            I don’t like to congratulate criminals but.....you have give a slight doff of the cap to whoever managed to nick them. How the hell.....And why did no one see them at it? I blame the Russians

When I was a kid I worked with Bill Archer for a while. He was a lorry driver. He’d break into a song at the drop of a hat.
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
              I don’t like to congratulate criminals but.....you have give a slight doff of the cap to whoever managed to nick them. How the hell.....And why did no one see them at it? I blame the Russians

When I was a kid I worked with Bill Archer for a while. He was a lorry driver. He’d break into a song at the drop of a hat.
              Such public item thefts are more common than we like to think. About twenty years ago, when my state agency was in lower Manhattan, I read an article in the New York Times on a weekday edition (Monday to Saturday), on just such thefts. Normally they are wires and copper cables throughout the city, stolen and sold to dealers who melt them down to be sold to manufacturers (small time ones) who need the metals. But it does go to more impressive items.

Near my office in Manhattan, about six blocks north, was a clock that was about sixty years old that was quite a piece of civic sculpture - it looked like an anvil of sort. In the article I read, there was a photo of how the statue originally looked. There were two figures on either side of the anvil, and on the hour they hit the anvil and it chimed. Then came World War II. Now while Britain certainly had it serious domestic shortages on various items, far more than the U.S., we too had things like gasoline rationing stamps, meatless days of the week, etc. But we never had a serious problem with iron and steel supplies - we had plenty of those. Yet at the end of the war suddenly it was discovered that the statues on either side of the anvil had been taken down ("for repairs") around 1943, and nobody knew what happened to them! It was suspected they were melted down and sold for scrap by somebody. Of course by doing this the party responded left a piece of civic sculpture of a large anvil that was totally useless in the position it was in on top of a building's clock. Incredibly to add to this, nobody in authority thought of replacing the two statues!!

The statues (I believe) were supposed to represent capital and labor. Well someone went to considerable labor to purloin those statues under everyone's noses, and made a substantial amount of capital from it!!!

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by martin wilson View Post
                Hi Herlock

All the best.
                Hi Martin,

Could this be the culprit?

Gary

Drunk in Romford during the day. Trying to move a concrete ball. Falls over. Trips over. Sick. Bless him. Harsh but funny.Go to 15 minutes in when he waves t...

Comment

Hi Gary.

Brilliant find. So funny. I expect the Tennents Super had been given a pasting that day.

All the best.

Comment

Hi Herlock

My ex was a councillor. I was complaining about the massive pile of useless bumf sent by Sandwell council we had accumulated.
                    She told me Bill Archer just put it straight into the recycling bin, which I considered impressive.

All the best.

Comment

Hi Jeff.

I'm impressed. I didn't think the colonies had statues. I read about things like the world's largest ball of twine on display outside some town or other, but statues no (joking)

All the best.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                        Hi Martin,

Could this be the culprit?

Gary

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PzVIn8Ouiss
                        Cheers Gary,

Proof that it is possible for humans to interbreed with vegetables
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I shouldn't laugh. Round these here parts it's into Hallam street for a two week detox. I don't know if it does any good or is just a waste of resources.
                          I know for a fact one bloke went straight back on the pop as soon as he was discharged.
                          One woman told me she was abstinent for x number of years, and just one shot glass of vodka at a Christmas party meant the next week was a blur. It is a bloody awful, pernicious addiction.
                          Anyway, apologies to PC Dunn for thoroughly derailing his thread.

I've read some blood curdling press reports of women on women assaults during that time. One which comes to mind was a vicious attack on a woman who the assailant thought was after her bloke.
                          The other side of financial independence I imagine, financial dependency, which if threatened resulted in violence.

All the best.

Comment

Working...
                          X