Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
General Suspect Discussion: How about the "Bad Cop" ??? - by j.r-ahde 20 minutes ago.
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - by rjpalmer 3 hours ago.
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - by Paddy 5 hours ago.
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - by Michael W Richards 6 hours ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - by Abby Normal 6 hours ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - by curious 7 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - (16 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (6 posts)
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - (5 posts)
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - (4 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: How about the "Bad Cop" ??? - (3 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - (3 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Letters and Communications > Goulston Street Graffito

View Poll Results: Did Jack write the GSG?
YES 75 38.66%
NO 119 61.34%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2009, 02:21 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Fish,

If it was the Ripper that killed both of them, he could have taken something from Stride for all we know to leave at the next victim's scene.

That's odd? I think not.

Mike
Old 06-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Commisioner

It would only be odd, Mike, if he did NOT kill Stride, but even so made a beeline for Dutfields yard to bring some of her belongings with him to Mitre Square - whis was what I suggested ...

The best,
Fisherman
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:44 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Fish,

Understood, but that was not in any way what I suggested.

Mike
Old 06-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Commisioner

Iīm quite aware of that, Mike - but why would I let trivialities like that stop me from making the point that I donīt think Stride was one of Jackīs...?

The best,
Fisherman
Old 06-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Constable

Default What about this?

Maybe he did take parts from all the murders...and ate them all
Old 06-13-2009, 02:32 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
Iīm quite aware of that, Mike - but why would I let trivialities like that stop me from making the point that I donīt think Stride was one of Jackīs...?
Because this is isn't the place for that and I'm reminded of how Hutchinson crops up everywhere when it usually isn't the place for agenda. Just keep that in mind please.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-13-2009, 04:22 PM
perrymason

Hi Folks,

Mike and Fisherman,...no point in beating this to death because there is no way to know if he took anything (physical property) from any other victim with the intention of then discarding it. He took Annies rings,....and he took the apron section....all we know is that he discarded one of those 2 items.

This situation has many possible answers;

-The apron was discarded casually and without connection to the writing, or even knowledge of it
-The apron was intentionally left near some pre-existing grafitti
-The apron was placed in close proximity to a message the carrier wrote himself.

And one less travelled road,

-The message was written by the carrier of the apron before the killing or killings

The question that affects all of the above, is whether the cloth was left before 2:10am, or after it.

I believe its probable it was left after, its the only one of the two answers that logically corroborates the PC's statement, and that makes anything even remotely suggestive about the apron section crime scene potentially premeditated.

Best regards all.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:41 AM
Chief Inspector

Wink The Goulston Street Ink-Blot Test

[quote=Mascara & Paranoia;70810
I don't think Jack was Jewish, against Jewish people or was motivated in that way, but (assuming the PC who stumbled upon it didn't just miss it being there the first time round) it's a major coincidence that it then turns up at the same point as Eddowes' apron, shortly after Jack (assuming the man Lawende saw was the Ripper with Eddowes) had been witnessed by three Jews and apparently murdered another prostitute outside a Jewish club an hour or so before (I can't remember exact timing). It's more likely than not his handiwork but I'm not totally convinced.[/QUOTE]

I think these are good points, Paranoia. Might I add the shouted epithet "Lipski!" to your list of coincidences? The divergence of opinion on this topic is quite interesting.

Personally, I don't feel the Graffito itself is terribly useful as "evidence" because due to its extremely ambiguous nature, disputes about its wording, the uncertain circumstances of its discovery, and the lack of any photographic record, it's become a sort of uber-Rorshach Ink Blot Test that can be endorsed or discarded to suit any theory.

I don't know if Jack wrote it, but I think it's more likely that he did than that he ran thru Whitechapel, fleeing 2 murders, reading random graffiti in the dark as he went, and then picked an existent graffito to drop the apron near. Of course, it could have been just total coincidence, & maybe some unknown Whitechapel resident had wandered around the neighborhood chalking nonsensical cryptic messages on the walls. I doubt we'll ever know.

But IF Jack wrote it, he could even have done so at the start of the evening, right? BEFORE he had killed anyone. We always assume it was written afterward, but that doesn't have to be true; it's merely an assumption. Because it seems so logical, it's very easy to forget that it's an assumption.

The odd wording and structure of the Graffito renders it utterly nonsensical as an English Language sentence (double negatives separated by an infinitive are an English Major's worst nightmare!) So I suspect this could well have been a private word-game deliberately created for the fun of baffling everybody & making them try to figure it out.
I do think Jack got a big kick out of watching news reports, public opinion & the police investigation itself go off in mistaken directions.

I feel that IF Jack wrote the Graffito AND/OR deliberately chose the location of the "Juwes" Graffito as the vicinity in which to discard Eddowe's apron, he did so because he got some kind of personal 'jolly' out of planting a huge red herring & baffling everybody.
And if that's true, it kind of bugs me to think that Jack's funny little game has succeeded beyond his wildest dreams. Because even though he's dead, I hate to give him the satisfaction.
Best regards, Archaic

Last edited by Archaic : 06-20-2009 at 01:43 AM.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:52 AM
perrymason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaic View Post

But IF Jack wrote it, he could even have done so at the start of the evening, right? BEFORE he had killed anyone. We always assume it was written afterward, but that doesn't have to be true; it's merely an assumption. Because it seems so logical, it's very easy to forget that it's an assumption.

Best regards, Archaic
Didnt I just post that same suggestion in the immediately preceding post? I just found it interesting that you mention it as some new concept in the very next post.

"And one less traveled road, -The message was written by the carrier of the apron before the killing or killings"

Cheers Archaic
Old 06-20-2009, 02:32 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrymason View Post

This situation has many possible answers;

-The apron was discarded casually and without connection to the writing, or even knowledge of it
-The apron was intentionally left near some pre-existing grafitti
-The apron was placed in close proximity to a message the carrier wrote himself.

Or the dude lived in the building and dropped it there. When he realized his mistake, it was too late to do anything about it. Yes, I know....but it is a possibility. I admit I know almost nothing about who actually lived in the building though.