Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Joshua Rogan 3 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Herlock Sholmes 32 minutes ago.
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - by Michael W Richards 1 hour and 28 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Debra A 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Observer 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by RockySullivan 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (33 posts)
Non-Fiction: Scholes of the Yard: The Casebook of a Scotland Yard Detective 1888 to 1924 - (3 posts)
Thompson, Francis: Jack the Poet - (1 posts)
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries

Old 08-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Constable

"The Gustloff was a shocking thing, although..."

There is no "although". One always could add that: Wrong speed in iceberg waters etc etc.

9000 victims. Nine thousand.

C
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Cadet

Yes master...
Old 08-08-2008, 12:58 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esther Wilson View Post
What a wonderful idea for a thread! I love anything to do with the Titanic. I guess that sounds aweful considering it's such a tragedy but like my interest with Jack the Ripper, it's one of those things that eats away at my mind and I just have to get my hands on anything related.

Thanks to the other posters for bringing up all the other ships...I recognized some of them. Another ship wreck that I didn't see posted was the Andrea Doria (not sure if I got the spelling right).

Esther
Hi Esther, Welcome to the Casebook. We know what you mean about loving anything to do with the Titanic! Enjoy you time here. Looking forward to chatting with you.

Best,

Cel

UHHH... hold on a minute. Weren't you MaryKelly yesterday? Now, I am confused.

Last edited by Celesta : 08-08-2008 at 01:02 AM.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:03 AM
Constable

Hi Cel,

Sorry, I asked to get my profile name changed but yes for a short period of time I was MK...well in name only of course. Sorry for the confussion.

Esther
Old 08-08-2008, 03:14 AM
Superintendent

Hi all,

My favorite story about the loss of Waratah is that one of the passengers who was on board kept having a dream where he saw a horrible, colossus like figure with a bloodstained sword arise from the sea,and yell the name "Waratah". This gentleman discovered he could stand it no longer, and when the ship docked at Durban (I think it was Durban), he left the ship with his luggage and took a train to Cape Town and took another ship to England.
So this man was one of the few passengers who survived that last voyage.

[Mike, take note.]

If you mention the loss of the "Wilhelm Gustloff" you have to mention two other German refugee ships and another bombed ocean liner that altogether cost roughly 33,000 lives. The other refugee ships from Eastern Europe headed for Germany were the "Goya" (loss of 3,000) and "General Steuben"
(loss of about 8,000). THe bombed ocean liner was the "Cap Arcona" which was holding nearly 11 - 14, 000 Jews in its cramped hold when the port (Bremen?, I'm not sure) was bombed by the Allies. The ship capsized killing many on board. But what was worse was that Jews who managed to get to swim from the wreck were machined gunned by the Nazis when they got to land. Ironically, when the Nazi film TITANIC was made by UFA in 1943, scenes supposedly on the "Titanic" were shot on the "Cap Arcona".

Speaking of the Baltic let us not forget (only over a decade ago) the "Estonia", sunk in a crazy storm ... although there is some controversy about whether it may have also hit a mine. In that shipwreck 900 lives were lost.

And there is also that magnificent refloated maritime museum, the "Vasa", which sank in Stockholm harbor in 1628, on its maiden voyage ("Titanic" actually got further). Now it is admired in a dry dock museum for its ornate
carvings and designs. Similarly Britain has the "Mary Rose" also retrieved from grave at sea - although not as totally as the "Vasa".

Best wishes,

Jeff
Old 08-08-2008, 03:17 AM
Superintendent

Default Archibald Gracie's other book

Almost forgotten postscript.

Col. Gracie actually left two valuable books. Besides his account of the "Titanic", he wrote a still useful account of the last major Confederate battle victory in the American Civil War - THE TRUTH ABOUT CHICKAMAUGA.

Jeff
Old 08-08-2008, 07:41 AM
Cadet

If I recall, the Vasa sank due to an unequal distribution of weight and a top-heavy design, right? The ship rolled, and the open gunports let the water rush in and the ship just tipped right over and sank.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esther Wilson View Post
Hi Cel,

Sorry, I asked to get my profile name changed but yes for a short period of time I was MK...well in name only of course. Sorry for the confussion.

Esther
Got it! I was thinking it was kind of ballsy of you to use MK's name and then suddenly it was gone! Actually I thought of doing that when I first registered but then, out of superstition, changed my mind.

Take care,

Cel

Old 08-08-2008, 05:54 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayerling View Post
Almost forgotten postscript.

Col. Gracie actually left two valuable books. Besides his account of the "Titanic", he wrote a still useful account of the last major Confederate battle victory in the American Civil War - THE TRUTH ABOUT CHICKAMAUGA.

Jeff
Hi Jeff, I was at Chickamauga a couple of weeks ago. We went up to the Nat'l Cemetary to my parent's grave and stopped back by there. I have never seen so many monuments. It's actually divided into two sites, one up on the ridges and the other down on the lower ground. We weren't able to tour it the way I would have wanted due to time constraints. I'll look into this book and find out what the truth is.

Best to you, Jeff.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:19 AM
Superintendent

Hi Celesta,

I suspect that the aspects of the battle that Gracie concentrated on were the following:

1) Who was responsible for the victory over the Federal troops under William Rosecrans (the actual commander of the Confederate army, Lt. General Braxton Bragg, or the "borrowed" commander of the troops from the forces of General Robert E. Lee, Lt. General James Longstreet?

2) Who was really responsible for the fatal error that hurt the Federal defense perameter, Rosecrans of hs closest advisor, Major General James Garfield? As Garfield was the martyred 2nd Assassinated President (see Dr. Tumblety and his possible connection to Charles Guiteau), Gracie was involved in a delicate problem in discussng this matter.

Best wishes,

Jef